IGNORED

Unexpected encounters with City fans

TedsHeadIs Red

When City beat Man Utd on that wonderful December evening in 2017 I was on a winter sun holiday in Gran Canaria (booked a long time in advance).

The next day I was wallowing in the hotel pool when to my great surprise I spotted a young guy in a City shirt sitting poolside. I eventually got out the pool as it was approaching lunchtime and warned my wife that on the way to the restaurant I might stop off and have a chat with him. But when we wandered up to where he had been sitting he was gone. I never saw him in the hotel either before or after that moment. I wondered if it had been the illusory effect of too many Spanish 'ciders' the previous evening but my wife confirmed she had seen him too. 

Have you ever had a weird or unexpected encounter with a fellow Bristol City supporter? 

This is a little off topic but to do with city and fans. 

Anyone remember the Portsmouth FA Cup tie away? There was a pompy fan in the stand to the left who was getting a lot of chants towards him and reacting so much he got kicked out. Anyway a few years later I met him in a hostel in a little Australian town in WA. 

Not a City fan but I was lounging round the pool in Lanzarote when this Northern guy came up to me and wanted to chat. He was a Doncaster fan and had seen my City tattoo and wanted to talk about Glenn Humphries who we`d just signed.

He did warn me he was a bit of a loose cannon so it should have been no surprise how his City career panned out!

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

When City beat Man Utd on that wonderful December evening in 2017 I was on a winter sun holiday in Gran Canaria (booked a long time in advance).

The next day I was wallowing in the hotel pool when to my great surprise I spotted a young guy in a City shirt sitting poolside. I eventually got out the pool as it was approaching lunchtime and warned my wife that on the way to the restaurant I might stop off and have a chat with him. But when we wandered up to where he had been sitting he was gone. I never saw him in the hotel either before or after that moment. I wondered if it had been the illusory effect of too many Spanish 'ciders' the previous evening but my wife confirmed she had seen him too. 

Have you ever had a weird or unexpected encounter with a fellow Bristol City supporter? 

In Bali 3 years ago I was in a sports bar in Sanur watching the Ozzie Rugby League state of origin. 95% had some kind of Ozzie rugby league shirt on but there was a bloke with a City shirt. His name was Dave and he was on a 4 day stop over on his way to oz for holidays. He lived at the time in Bridlington. I have also seen a City scarf from the 70s behind a bar in Phuket in Thailand.

23 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

This is a little off topic but to do with city and fans. 

Anyone remember the Portsmouth FA Cup tie away? There was a pompy fan in the stand to the left who was getting a lot of chants towards him and reacting so much he got kicked out. Anyway a few years later I met him in a hostel in a little Australian town in WA. 

I hope you bought him a tinny 

Went to Madrid for the weekend to watch Real Madrid. Was just walking the back streets when we came across a bar so went in. When inside the bar had city scarfs and photos.

Talking to the owner he had worked at Avonmouth docks and been transferred to Madrid and stayed to open the bar after the docks job had finished. This was at least 15 years ago so maybe gone now.

I believe fate took us in that bar that day 

Couple of years back we booked tickets to see Rammstein in their own country. Flew to Berlin got to the ground. Sold out, 80,000 in the stadium, fought my way to prime standing location near the stage.

English voice behind me, so got chatting. Season ticket from the south stand, block S21. Small world  

Best unexpected encounter i had with a city fan was in betfred north street.

He was in front of me and he put twenty each way on jamie mcalister to get the first goal.

Thats a brave call mate i said.

Been taking a lot of free kicks lately he said, good shout at 40/1 he said.

I thought about that, and he was taking a lot of free kicks, think it was under millen.

He had never took a penalty in 4 years at the club as far as i could remeber.

I was in for a fiver each way, cut a long story short, he took a penalty the following week and scored the first goal.

Needless to say i wasnt on.

So i was almost 200 pounds up due to a stranger.

When i first started going in corals in east street, a bloke told me he designed lady dis wedding dress, then asked me to lend him 2 quid!

I got off the train at Hither Green station and as I was walking down the path I had a tap on the shoulder. "Nice backpack" the guy said, it's the new city one with the small Robin logo, he was a fellow city fan. Just thought what's the chances another lives in this small South East London village and spotted by backpack. 

Not as exotic as the other stories! 

1 hour ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Strange, I too was in Gran Canaria sitting poolside in my city shirt when I spotted a guy in the pool.

Nearing lunchtime it was obvious that he had one over the eight and was generally making an exhibition of himself and frightening the children.

To my horror I saw him clamber out of the pool and motion to his wife and then look in my direction, i caught his eye and not wishing to engage in conversation with someone in that condition and widely considered the resident hotel drunk I  beat a hasty retreat.

I returned home that afternoon.

Play offs 2008 - I was in a remote part of Spain when the first leg vs Palace took place. Found a small bar in the Spanish mountains and to my delight they were showing the game. There was about 5 people in the bar. Long story short, we scored and I jumped around making a bit of a fool of myself then realised two other guys at the back of the bar were doing the same - they were from Bedminster - small world out there!

Back in 2000 I was at Dublin's Olympia Theatre to watch the recently reformed Derry City Rockers, the Undertones play a gig.

Waiting for the band to come on I heard a couple of random lads chatting behind me in Bristolian accents. Introduced myself and it soon turned out we were all City fans and they were over in Dublin doing some building work. Good. 

Next thing, a big group of lads in the middle of the floor started chanting ROVERS! Bad. Wtf?? But it was OK, turned out they were local Shamrock Rovers supporters, so I and my new friends treated them to a raucous rendition of Drink Up Thy Zider complete with old school moshing.

Luckily Dublin is about the friendliest and loveliest city you could visit and we all lived happily ever after ?

I was in Homebase in Bishop's Stortford about 8 years ago (I think) and was just casually walking around looking for something (can't remember what) when a voice shouted "nice shirt". I can't remember which one it was, but it was an away shirt from a few years previous - possibly the yellow away shirt from the Mansfield season as I used to wear it for work (would also explain why I was in Homebase).

Anyway, got talking to him, and turns out that he was a fellow member of this fine forum. Very sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was now :P

Also got talking to a fellow City fan whilst walking around Harrods one time, again wearing a city shirt.

A couple of years ago was in a shoe shop in Colchester getting dragged around by the wife and her family, and a guy started speaking to me because I had a City beanie on. Turns out he was a former youth team player, and was released a few years before. Had obviously not made it in the game, but was quite happy talking about his time at the club. His name escapes me, but I have to be honest, it never rang a bell anyway!

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Strange, I too was in Gran Canaria sitting poolside in my city shirt when I spotted a guy in the pool.

Nearing lunchtime it was obvious that he had one over the eight and was generally making an exhibition of himself and frightening the children.

To my horror I saw him clamber out of the pool and motion to his wife and then look in my direction, i caught his eye and not wishing to engage in conversation with someone in that condition and widely considered the resident hotel drunk I  beat a hasty retreat.

I returned home that afternoon.

That explains everything. Wise move. I remember over lunch my wife having a word with me. Something about calming down or she was going to catch an early flight home.

Two come to mind .

season kick off vs Barnsley 2017 when we won 3-1 . We were in small fishing village in carvoeiro, Portugal and sporting our brand new city tops and there was a family walking past exactly the same ... just then a sense of huge pride came over me and both groups started singing city songs - ole ole ole Bristol city ... it was 11am in the morning so not drink related ... brings a tear to my eye still .. 

then last year in Florida we were in a water park watching the game vs villa where we lost 2-1 . Approx 20 yards away in and amongst the hundreds of people was someone else getting equally as wound up as we were from the sh1t refereeing ... we didn’t really help each other in terms of counselling as we were all annoyed . 

funny though when abroad and it could be 35 degrees and I’ve got a city top on then I don’t take it off - anything else and I’ll happily remove to cool down ... I must be wired up incorrectly.. 

The day after the Man U game I had my Work Xmas party in Central London. I didn't get home till 1ish as live in Bucks and was on the train in at about 11am. Got to the venue and was in the queue to hand my coat over and a guy 3 people behind me had a city scarf he was taking off. Turned out he had been at the game too and had done a similar trip.

Staying in a Villa in Cala Galdana, Menorca in 2004, family holiday with wife and two sons, all of us City fans, but still in a state of shock following the play off shocker against Brighton in Cardiff.  Anyway, we were there just around the time the Euros in Portugal had started and the Spanish owner of a nice restaurant next door to our place realised we were into football, as we always chose a table where we could watch games being shown on one of the many TV screens in his restaurant.  Got chatting to him, said we were Bristol City fans, to which he replied something along the lines of "oh yes, so am I, have been to Ashton Gate a few times, and was really upset after watching the play-off final".  

Our initial thoughts were along the lines of, he probably knows a bit about most English teams to convince any customers that he is a fan of their team, but it turned out he really supported us because of his wife, who was a City fan living just up the road from us in St George, and he really did know Bristol well!

He was a great guy and his restaurant was top notch as well.

Caught a ferry from Greece to Italy, booked deck accommodation, spread out my sleeping bag on the floor of the ‘lounge’ and got myself comfortable, called into Corfu to discharge/pick up passengers, watched proceedings from the deck and then we left port, went back to my berth to find a lad in a City shirt had set up next to me.....with a litre bottle of Ouzo at the ready.

Night out in Copenhagen... ordered shots at the bar and got talking to barman and it became apparent he had an English accent. City fan with bristol roots.  Got a few free drinks ? met him at the ground  for a drink when he came over to visit and watch a game.

Approx 10 yrs ago. He used to be on this forum, perhaps still is?!

Bumped into Shannon a well known city fan in the coogee bay hotel in Sydney about 25 years ago

meet a fellow city fan on Bondi beach Christmas Day and we both had the green ,red and black striped away shirts on I didn’t know him from Adam and have never meet him since but for a couple of hours we drank and chatted like we were long lost friends

also meet a couple of city fans at the youth World Cup in Malaysia back in 1997 when Owen made his england debut I think 

When I lived and worked in New Zealand in the mid 80’s, one day an MD from another company was being shown around my workplace by my MD.

I did a double take when I saw he was wearing a silver City tie with the robin and suspension bridge on it!. Two City fans together in a random factory on the outskirts of Auckland! 

I ended up chatting to him for about 20 minutes, my MD didn’t seem to impressed that I was taking up valuable time of his guest!!

3 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Staying in a Villa in Cala Galdana, Menorca .

Been there a couple of times. An absolutely beautiful horseshoe bay.

Anyway, in Toulouse for the 98 World cup, outside a bar one night before the Romania game I saw a guy in a City shirt sat on the pavement chatting to a guy in a Rovers shirt. Turned around to my mates and said this could only happen nearly 900 miles from Bristol.

12 hours ago, gl1 said:

Couple of years back we booked tickets to see Rammstein in their own country. Flew to Berlin got to the ground. Sold out, 80,000 in the stadium, fought my way to prime standing location near the stage.

English voice behind me, so got chatting. Season ticket from the south stand, block S21. Small world  

Not city related-But similar to your story.

Went to see acdc in New York. Queing up at the merch stand before the gig, I realised that the bloke in front of me was wearing the same tour tshirt from the Manchester show, So got chatting to him and his wife. Turned out he lived less than 20 mins from my house!

As you say- small world.

8 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Staying in a Villa in Cala Galdana, Menorca in 2004, family holiday with wife and two sons, all of us City fans, but still in a state of shock following the play off shocker against Brighton in Cardiff.  Anyway, we were there just around the time the Euros in Portugal had started and the Spanish owner of a nice restaurant next door to our place realised we were into football, as we always chose a table where we could watch games being shown on one of the many TV screens in his restaurant.  Got chatting to him, said we were Bristol City fans, to which he replied something along the lines of "oh yes, so am I, have been to Ashton Gate a few times, and was really upset after watching the play-off final".  

Our initial thoughts were along the lines of, he probably knows a bit about most English teams to convince any customers that he is a fan of their team, but it turned out he really supported us because of his wife, who was a City fan living just up the road from us in St George, and he really did know Bristol well!

He was a great guy and his restaurant was top notch as well.

Maybe the same guy.... maybe not, but went on a family holiday In 2006 or 7 and again in 2010 to Santo Tomas, in Menorca which is the next bay along from Cala Galdana. The guy, Niko, who ran the bar in the complex we were in, had a City shirt hanging behind the bar, so obviously got talking and he spent the winter months in Kingswood (where I'm from), with his partner, and was an avid follower. I have a photo somewhere, will try and find!!

Small world!!

1998, I was working in Moscow for a few weeks. Possibly Good Friday, Grimsby's result that day meant we were mathematically guaranteed to go up. I was out drinking that night in the Hungry Duck and got talking to a couple of lads. Turned out to be City fans, and we celebrated promotion.

2006, was in Brisbane for the 1st Ashes test, met a lad from Nailsea one night in the hostel. Didn't catch up with him again. Fast forward to last day of that season, celebrating after the win v Rotherham, I bumped into the same lad in some pub on Hotwell.

Archived