IGNORED

Fammy, Nakhi and Benik

Super

Must make sure we have that mix of stability and technical ability in the midfield behind though and basically we often haven't- otherwise we risk a great strikeforce going to waste.

Is of paramount importance IMO. Some of the teams...great to have those 3 or 2 and Weimann up to but some of the combinations of what's behind would give better opposition a great day!

We may score but we'd certainly concede, plus lose the centre. Could you imagine, one I saw was a Smith, Eliasson and Palmer midfield/CM- good opponents would have a great time!

Would be interested in seeing some kind of combination of Afobe, Palmer and Weimann- bit like earlier in the season but possibly with a back 4 instead. 4-3-1-2 perhaps.

Or maybe Eliasson-Afobe-Weimann for some games- could be a 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 hybrid- ie you use Eliasson as a wider forward pushed higher, as opposed to a winger and you use Weimann as a wide forward too. Could also slot into some form of 4-3-3 like that.

Tactically, can Wells or Afobe pull wider- again thinking wide forward type positions, or are they more centreish. If one could, then good fluidity may come with e.g. Wells-Afobe-Weimann as a front 3, or a 2-1, be it 4-3-2-1 or 3-4-2-1.

We have some strong options, but I question whether LJ is the man to get the best out of them.

Further combinations might include Palmer behind Wells and Afobe or a front 3- a loose front 3- of Wells and Eliasson either side of Afobe, again as wider forwards, though clearly one is and would be more of a forward than the other, and one would be more like a winger out of Eliasson and Wells. Another issue is they're both left footed.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Must make sure we have that mix of stability and technical ability in the midfield behind though and basically we often haven't- otherwise we risk a great strikeforce going to waste.

Is of paramount importance IMO. Some of the teams...great to have those 3 or 2 and Weimann up to but some of the combinations of what's behind would give better opposition a great day!

We may score but we'd certainly concede, plus lose the centre. Could you imagine, one I saw was a Smith, Eliasson and Palmer midfield/CM- good opponents would have a great time!

Yeah and I reckon we'll see plenty of Nagy (hopefully fully fit now) and Massengo, as well as Smith.

WIll be nice for LJ to have a fully fit squad to choose from for a change, I would go for:                          

Bentley

Perieira      Kalas       Benkovic       Dasilva

Smith      Nagy    

Palmer

Wells          Afobe       Eliasson

Wollacott (O'Leary if allowed??)

Baker

Hunt

Massengo

Paterson

Weimann

Diedhiou

Obviously there will be lots of rotation with the condensed season so those on the bench as well as O'Dowda, Henrikksen, Rowe, Williams and Vyner would all see plenty of minutes too.

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

WIll be nice for LJ to have a fully fit squad to choose from for a change, I would go for:                          

Bentley

Perieira      Kalas       Benkovic       Dasilva

Smith      Nagy    

Palmer

Wells          Afobe       Eliasson

Wollacott (O'Leary if allowed??)

Baker

Hunt

Massengo

Paterson

Weimann

Diedhiou

Obviously there will be lots of rotation with the condensed season so those on the bench as well as O'Dowda, Henrikksen, Rowe, Williams and Vyner would all see plenty of minutes too.

No thanks to Wells right wing.  He’s a natural goalscorer. Surely needs to play in his position.

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

No thanks to Wells right wing.  He’s a natural goalscorer. Surely needs to play in his position.

It would be a flexible shape that when we have the ball Afobe and Wells are effectively a two up front with Eliasson pulling wide and between the midfield base and PP covering the right hand side, trying to get our best attacking players into the same team is quite tricky!

13 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It would be a flexible shape that when we have the ball Afobe and Wells are effectively a two up front with Eliasson pulling wide and between the midfield base and PP covering the right hand side, trying to get our best attacking players into the same team is quite tricky!

Agreed. I think everyone wants Wells and Afobe up front. To do that you either lose the midfield battle with 4-4-2 or you lose men out wide 4-3-1-2 or 5-3-2.  

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Agreed. I think everyone wants Wells and Afobe up front. To do that you either lose the midfield battle with 4-4-2 or you lose men out wide 4-3-1-2 or 5-3-2.  

Yep I think its commonly accepted that Palmer and Eliasson are our most creative players and would provide the ammo for Wells and Afobe, but its hard to fit them into the same team as KP can't play in a 2-man midfield so to get him into the team you have to sacrifice the wingers meaning Eliasson misses out, hopefully LJ has been spending lockdown devising a shape and system that gets over this. When you look at the Leeds formation it is so unconventional and see's many players in a position thy wouldn't have played before but gives them so many attacking threats which is testament to Bielsa, hopefully we can find something similar.

We will all have diferent views on this, but my post lockdown initial 11 will look something like this:               

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith Nagy

Weimann               Patto

Wells   Afobe

Very balanced and hard working team.  I would love to fit Palmer or Eliasson in, but they will have to earn their places from the bench. Bench would be incredibly strong, though no room for the likes of COD.

This, in my view could potentially be top two contenders if there were a few more games left.

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I can't help think back to that season we signed Akinbiyi, Thorpe and Soren Anderson, and shipped goals for fun!

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yeah and I reckon we'll see plenty of Nagy (hopefully fully fit now) and Massengo, as well as Smith.

Will be interesting to see how  long our players stay 'fully fit'. Apparently the proportion of injured players in Germany is way higher than usual. That has been put down to a short pre-season. With compressed fixtures too we could easily have a load of injuries before we get very far into the fixture list. 

It’s going to be difficult for LJ of course, but that’s the reason why you have a squad, so you have the luxury of rotation when needed.

I think he will drop Eliasson to allow Afobe and Wells to play together (in a 442), otherwise we will get overrun in midfield. Whereas if he was to play Fam up there, then Eliasson comes back in. 

All players are going to play a massive part. Just depends on the opposition and what formation LJ decides to go with.

It’s a nice luxury to have, so I hope we take advantage of it and get it right.

37 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We will all have diferent views on this, but my post lockdown initial 11 will look something like this:               

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith Nagy

Weimann               Patto

Wells   Afobe

Very balanced and hard working team.  I would love to fit Palmer or Eliasson in, but they will have to earn their places from the bench. Bench would be incredibly strong, though no room for the likes of COD.

This, in my view could potentially be top two contenders if there were a few more games left.

Top 2?  This team (and any team anyone comes up with) is quite a way behind Leeds, WBA, Fulham and Brentford for me

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Will be interesting to see how  long our players stay 'fully fit'. Apparently the proportion of injured players in Germany is way higher than usual. That has been put down to a short pre-season. With compressed fixtures too we could easily have a load of injuries before we get very far into the fixture list. 

Oh god, with our record we'll probably run our of players after three games

12 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Don’t forget Andi.

I remember Andi and Benik worked wonders together. It’s a lovely headache to have!

In theory yes.  I worry about our manager's pre-dilection to be 'creative; with his 'options'.  It rarely works and his best spells tend to be when his selection is consistent (normally when injuries limit the options).

Afobe is most likely to be sub initially surely.  He won't have the benefit of a normal pre-season to get back up to speed and is likely to be more rusty than the others.

14 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I think this pandemic will have had a real negative affect on some and derail any promotion hopes (Leeds hopefully).

Nah they are nailed on now, their biggest issue was going to be Bielsa running them into the ground and falling apart at the end of the season, the break couldn't have come at a better time for them as they will be fresh and full of legs again.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

It’s going to be difficult for LJ of course, but that’s the reason why you have a squad, so you have the luxury of rotation when needed.

I think he will drop Eliasson to allow Afobe and Wells to play together (in a 442), otherwise we will get overrun in midfield. Whereas if he was to play Fam up there, then Eliasson comes back in. 

All players are going to play a massive part. Just depends on the opposition and what formation LJ decides to go with.

Yep to use that Afobe and Wells partnership, it's hard not to use Elliasson and Palmer as impact subs. Weimann and Pato do their defensive duties in wide areas and the middle needs terriers like Smith, Nagy and Massengo. 

42 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Nah they are nailed on now, their biggest issue was going to be Bielsa running them into the ground and falling apart at the end of the season, the break couldn't have come at a better time for them as they will be fresh and full of legs again.

It's an interesting one the collapse by Leeds. Happened ultimately in final 4 games but may have set in sooner. 

If you look at those 4 games though, their dominance levels were not dissimilar to throughout the season. For whatever reason though the chance conversion and concession rate just both got significantly worse. By other metrics though, their performances remained strong.

32 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

There’s talk of allowing a 20 man match day squad (up from 18) and 5 subs . Might even see Andi, fam , Nahki and benik on the pitch together I’d we’re chasing a game ?

That sounds really appealing on paper but throwing 4 up front isn't necessarily always ideal. 

Can lose a midfield supply line, open ourselves up to quick breaks, of course if we're losing anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained. 

That kind of game chasing system can easily collapse into an uncoordinated mess.

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

What an attacking line up, start with Afobe & Wells then replaced by Elliason & Diedhiou against tired defenders to finish the job off.

I really hope we take all the games to the opposition and not try to out think them.

Archived