IGNORED

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and the Bristol City connection

22 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I never new he wore a gas shirt, taking my dvds down the charity shop now.

Best scene ever, when dennis turns up at ali frasers,

He sends his minder out for a curry, and oz ended up nutting him, .

Best scene OLL of all is when oz takes barry for a spot of poaching trout in series 2......

14 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

You would have thought that the actor who played Bomber, who obviously was from this neck of the woods, would have remembered that his character was City, when the writers tried to put him in a Gas shirt years later, and corrected them. They wouldnt suddenly put Nev in a Sunderland shirt would they?

11 minutes ago, oldmixonred said:

Pat roach who played bomber was from Birmingham 

His accent was quite bizarre, no resemblance to Bristolian as far as I could tell. More like Cornish I always thought. 

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I never new he wore a gas shirt, taking my dvds down the charity shop now.

Best scene ever, when dennis turns up at ali frasers,

He sends his minder out for a curry, and oz ended up nutting him, .

He was only gah-ing for a tandoori chicken!

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

His accent was quite bizarre, no resemblance to Bristolian as far as I could tell. More like Cornish I always thought. 

It was a far more convincing accent than the one used by his on screen daughter in the Series 1 episode, Home Thoughts From Abroad.

That was truly the work of someone who had never visited our fair City.

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

It was a far more convincing accent than the one used by his on screen daughter in the Series 1 episode, Home Thoughts From Abroad.

Back then they never bothered - just made them speak in some carrot-crunching generic West Country accent. It was the same one whether they were supposed to come from Swindon or Penzance.

15 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Two episodes where one of the actors was wearing a football shirt belong to the "other lot"

Also the episode where some one says their better than the "other lot" to he replys something like

He supports Bristol City.

He was sponsored by the gas to wear it for two episodes 

2 hours ago, Redandproud said:

He was sponsored by the gas to wear it for two episodes 

If you remember there was the episode when he fell off scaffolding and landed on his head. He was brain damaged and then became a Rovers fan, no continuity error.

19 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Generic bumpkin is the accent generally used for Bristolians on telly ?

About 25 years ago, I was doing a care home review in Redland.  The lady i was reviewing had a daughter who lived nearby in Westbury Park I think it was who was an actress.  She told me that she was very good at accents, particularly the Bristolian one and said something (that she'd quoted in an episode of Casualty or some such) in said "Bristolian" vocal.  Sounded like Pam Ayres.

I nodded kindly and muttered something patronisingly reassuring that she was, indeed, the Robert De Niro of female, British, regional accents.

Archived