IGNORED

City and the Thatchers "World Cup of Cider"

CyderInACan

WHO WILL WIN THE THATCHERS WORLD CUP?

MONDAY, JUNE 1ST 2020

Bristol City have teamed up with cider-making partner Thatchers for the release of The Thatchers World Cup.

It kicks off this week with the company’s eight delicious ciders facing off in a social media knockout competition.

There are four head-to-heads and all City fans have to do is vote for their favourite.

It will leave two remaining ciders and whichever goes on to win in the eventual final, will be titled the ultimate Thatchers cider….but they’re all great if we’re being honest!

Will the classic Thatchers Gold come out on top or could it be the new kid on the block Cloudy Lemon pack a zesty punch to steal the show?

Follow The Thatchers World Cup via the club’s Twitter @BristolCity and get voting!

Introducing the contestants...

Thatchers Gold

Our gold standard cider is a celebration of all the apples we grow in our orchards expertly blended to create an eminently drinkable cider. From the first to the last sip ripe and juicy apple flavours burst from the glass – a reminder always to go for Gold.

Thatchers Rosé

Waves of zingy strawberry, raspberry and cherry flavours refresh the mouth in this Rosé cider made exclusively from those eating apple favourites Cripps Pink, Gala and Fuji. You are in for a sweet treat as the fruitiness pops and fizzes across your tongue.

Thatchers Haze

Join the Haze craze with this lively and naturally hazy easy drinking cider that brims with fruitiness. Aromas of apples, pears, a hint of lemon and a sweet tangy finish tempt the tastebuds leaving you wanting more.

Thatchers Cloudy Lemon

The perfect balance of sharp notes from real lemons and sweetness from specially selected dessert apples such as Braeburn, Gala and Red Spur. The juice of real lemons is added to our premium apple cider to create zingy and refreshing lemony flavours. Best served chilled.

Thatchers Katy

Meet Katy a single variety cider made from the apple of the same name. Fresh and fruity with a subtle sweetness, a refreshing sparkle and crisp tangy finish. Fermented the same way as sparkling wine producers, that’s why if you enjoy fizz you will love this premium cider.

Thatchers Rascal

Imagine if apple pie came in a glass. This is the cider equivalent with a scrumptious array of flavours including red apples, pears, Demerara sugar and spice. Created with a blend of cider apple superstars - Redstreak, Dabinett and Tremlett - this bold cider is one lovable rascal.

Thatchers Vintage

A special cider deserves special treatment and so this cider is aged in our giant 150-year old oak vats making it worthy of the term vintage. Vintage is a complex full-bodied cider with a delicious nutty toffee apple flavour, vinous notes and a lingering finish.

Thatchers Dry

Full of flavour from specially selected apples, many of which are harvested from the Thatchers family orchards in Somerset. Made using traditional techniques and expertise gained since 1904, this crafted dry cider has a crisp and refreshing taste.

All just a bit of fun obviously but where is Cheddar Valley!? 

Gold is my drink of choice, although Cheddar Valley is the finest Cider I've ever tasted. I just couldn't drink 8 pints regularly..! 

I did once, away at Chesterfield in the Derby tup...? And never felt so rough the next day! 

25 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Gold is my drink of choice, although Cheddar Valley is the finest Cider I've ever tasted. I just couldn't drink 8 pints regularly..! 

I did once, away at Chesterfield in the Derby tup...? And never felt so rough the next day! 

I got very drunk on it once, but I blame the extra mature cheese we had with it. Beware kids, just say no to cheese. 

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

My guess is that the results will reflect sales and people will look back and think.... 'well, that was a waste of time for everyone'.

We need to stand up for the underdogs. Hopefully the Club will take note.

When Cheddar Valley was "Thatcher's Red" I could drink it. In moderation. It was certainly "wreck the hoose juice".

Now Thatcher's entire output is too sweet. 

Sad to say, I prefer many Hereford ciders these days to the over-sweetened stuff from Sandford.

Has anyone been trying the new ‘cider barn’ range from thatchers? I’ve had a couple, redwood isn’t half bad. 

Apple cider is going to be a massive rarity in 20 years I think. All this dark fruit and lemon stuff taking over. Farmhouse cider will soon be fully extinct too. We’re not really a cider drinking country apart from down here anyway and even still you see more people drinking some sort of pissy lager like Amstel than thatchers in most Bristol pubs. 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

You're got to be a proper ******* idiot to think that Gold is a better cider than Rascal.

Janet's Jungle Juice and Black Rat are my drinks of choice. 

Black Rat is great stuff.I haven't come across it recently but do always look out for it.It has changed from Moles Brewery to Wickwar Brewing Company so hopefully nothing will change.

On 02/06/2020 at 15:21, Red-Robbo said:

When Cheddar Valley was "Thatcher's Red" I could drink it. In moderation. It was certainly "wreck the hoose juice".

Now Thatcher's entire output is too sweet. 

Sad to say, I prefer many Hereford ciders these days to the over-sweetened stuff from Sandford.

I know what you mean about them being too sweet. 

Any you can recommend that are dry and not stupidly strong? I often find the dry ciders available are so strong that you struggle to have a session on them......well I do anyway.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I know what you mean about them being too sweet. 

Any you can recommend that are dry and not stupidly strong? I often find the dry ciders available are so strong that you struggle to have a session on them......well I do anyway.

If you can get it down your way, Mallet's is not too bad. I sometimes mix it with a very dry farmhouse scrumpy sort.

Can't drink the scrump by itself. Leaves a hole in my stomach. :shocking:

Thatchers got rid of the best cider they ever had when they bombed out Mendip Magic to put their lot in with Gold. 

Can’t knock the success they’ve had since Blackthorn changed their recipe, but Mendip Magic was the best. 

Katy’s probably the best of those eight. 

Only Gold available in Australia. They’ve done a distribution deal with Cooper’s Beer. It was in the classic bottle until a few weeks ago, now it’s in cans.

I’d just cracked one open here in Sydney, when my mum sent me a photo from her walk through the Thatcher’s orchards.

578393F1-77E9-4324-9C90-7CCD06BC3213.jpeg

416C4826-41D7-4549-8C48-60DC36701FA2.jpeg

13 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you can get it down your way, Mallet's is not too bad. I sometimes mix it with a very dry farmhouse scrumpy sort.

Can't drink the scrump by itself. Leaves a hole in my stomach. :shocking:

It might leave a hole but there's no way Covid-19 is gong to live in anybody that drinks scrumpy 

Archived