IGNORED

Players Refusing to Play

And Its Smith

TalkSport reveal that Lyle Taylor, Chris Solly and David Davis are the three Charlton players who don't want to play for Addicks when football returns.

I can understand Lyle Taylor’s decision here.  A month away from a life changing move late on in his career. A career that hasn’t really earned him a huge amount of money as he was a late developer.  Charlton fans will rightly be furious but I would do the same.  Sometimes you have to be a bit selfish and do what’s best for you and your family.

Solly has already been told he is being released and Matthews is keeping him out of the side anyway. Can understand him not wanting to risk an injury as he will be unemployed soon.

No idea on Davis situation. 

Will be interesting to see if more things like this come out soon at other clubs 

Also  QPR CEO  Lee Hoos says he is vehemently opposed and apalled at the proposed restarting of Championship........we only have 3 weeks of training he bleats!  Fortunately the majority of clubs see the glass as half full and are looking forward to it.  Footballers are naturally fit young men, who earn a great deal of money, so whats the problem?   Perhaps Hoo's wants to wait until the end of July to start the season again?  As regards the virus, deaths of under 40's in top physical condition are a miniscule percentage of the overall stats, they have more danger of being hit by a Bentley in their club car park!     I am trying hard not to be flippant, as its a serious subject, but some footballers, CEO's and Chairman are being over alarmist and generally misguided about the situation ........IMHO.

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

TalkSport reveal that Lyle Taylor, Chris Solly and David Davis are the three Charlton players who don't want to play for Addicks when football returns.

I can understand Lyle Taylor’s decision here.  A month away from a life changing move late on in his career. A career that hasn’t really earned him a huge amount of money as he was a late developer.  Charlton fans will rightly be furious but I would do the same.  Sometimes you have to be a bit selfish and do what’s best for you and your family.

Solly has already been told he is being released and Matthews is keeping him out of the side anyway. Can understand him not wanting to risk an injury as he will be unemployed soon.

No idea on Davis situation. 

Will be interesting to see if more things like this come out soon at other clubs 

So Solly wasn't going to play anyway?

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So Solly wasn't going to play anyway?

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

No. Can’t even get in squad 

That's like me releasing a statement proclaiming that I'm not going to pleasure Rachel Riley until she agrees to a threesome with Beyonce..! 

15 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

If a club can't prepare their stadium or their players in time for a restart, then perhaps they should have the choice to not play the fixture at all and forfeit, handing the points to their opposition?

I think that's asking for trouble. 

Imagine teams getting promoted (or not) & relegated (or not) based on the "result" of a forfeited game. 

Can't happen. 

43 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Also  QPR CEO  Lee Hoos says he is vehemently opposed and apalled at the proposed restarting of Championship........we only have 3 weeks of training he bleats!  Fortunately the majority of clubs see the glass as half full and are looking forward to it.  Footballers are naturally fit young men, who earn a great deal of money, so whats the problem?   Perhaps Hoo's wants to wait until the end of July to start the season again?  As regards the virus, deaths of under 40's in top physical condition are a miniscule percentage of the overall stats, they have more danger of being hit by a Bentley in their club car park!     I am trying hard not to be flippant, as its a serious subject, but some footballers, CEO's and Chairman are being over alarmist and generally misguided about the situation ........IMHO.

QPR are not going up or down, he is just trying to save the £150K or whatever the testing costs per game. Another example of self interest, that’s all

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I think if you get a chance to change your family’s life for a couple of generations it makes the decision understandable. 

No it's completely ridiculous. Charlton pay his wages, its 9 games. Its like a pilot refusing to fly in case he crashes. Theres only small chance he'd get a career ending injury. 

1 minute ago, Selred said:

No it's completely ridiculous. Charlton pay his wages, its 9 games. Its like a pilot refusing to fly in case he crashes. Theres only small chance he'd get a career ending injury. 

If a pilot was going to get a £4m contract in a month he would probably refuse to fly!

I would not play and risk £4m especially if I was a late developer and hadn’t been able to build up a lot of cash in the bank.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

If a pilot was going to get a £4m contract in a month he would probably refuse to fly!

I would not play and risk £4m especially if I was a late developer and hadn’t been able to build up a lot of cash in the bank.

Firstly he's been playing football for years so I bet he has a good amount of savings. He's probably on at least £5k a week at Charlton, £120k a year minimum. Hardly peanuts. 

Secondly Chartlon have paid him during the pandemic, during Injuries, it's a club close to where he was born. It's disrespectful to them. 

If Famara and Elliasson said they wouldn't play this season and next season as they are then out of contract would you say that's fine? Makes a mockery of contracts. 

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Firstly he's been playing football for years so I bet he has a good amount of savings. He's probably on at least £5k a week at Charlton, £120k a year minimum. Hardly peanuts. 

Secondly Chartlon have paid him during the pandemic, during Injuries, it's a club close to where he was born. It's disrespectful to them. 

If Famara and Elliasson said they wouldn't play this season and next season as they are then out of contract would you say that's fine? Makes a mockery of contracts. 

I wouldn’t hate a player for doing what is best for them and their families.  

Every man has the right to withdraw his labour, and especially so if he feels his livelihood is at risk. A contract doesn't mandate a player to play it just secures his livelihood. After all Managers are under no obligation to play a player and there are plenty of examples of them refusing to play players for non footballing reasons. 

The idea that a player is showing disrespect to a club is laughable. He may be drawing a wage during the pandemic but so are many people up and down the nation in all walks of life. Let's not forget that Charlton freely entered into the contract he has too. 

I think my broader concern is that if, as rumoured, we were one of the clubs in for him it would give me serious concerns over his attitude and make me less keen on the transaction.

I get that he only has 9 games left and the chance of a big move. But he is contracted, and therefore it’s a two way street - he should play when he has the ability to do so. It’s not like it’s slavery - and tbh, with the testing regime professional football will be one of the safest COVID professions. So I don’t see a reason for him not to play other than selfishness, whether for himself or his family. And I don’t see that’s valid.

And for those with a different viewpoint, how did you feel about Kodjia at Scunny?

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I wouldn’t hate a player for doing what is best for them and their families.  

No, but then it should be no play = no pay. Everyone else in the country is getting back amongst it.

38 minutes ago, Selred said:

If he hasn't agreed an extension its not 9 games its 10 days as he'd be out of contract at the end of June, the club can't make him play beyond June. Now you could in theory be playing 4 games in 10 days if its Sat/Tues every week, do you think Charlton are going to care about subbing him off to look after him if he's off in 10 days? They'd leave him on the pitch for 90 mins probably in all 4 games to hope he gets a crucial goal. 4 games in 10 days presents a higher risk of injury. 

Also he's been almost exclusively a league one player all his career and thats before wages in the division would've started increasing, add playing in London/surrounding area most of his career and the higher living expense that comes with it so for a footballer comparatively he's hardly raked it in for a career that could be ending in 3/4 years so would be a life changing amount for his family.

If he's happy to hand back the wages for 10 days I'd say fair enough, but its up to Charlton to fine him that for not playing.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

That's like me releasing a statement proclaiming that I'm not going to pleasure Rachel Riley until she agrees to a threesome with Beyonce..! 

So Rachel Riley, Beyonce & who is the 3rd one? Please tell me it's Rita Ora? 

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

If he's happy to hand back the wages for 10 days I'd say fair enough, but its up to Charlton to fine him that for not playing.

He should hand back all the money since he last played at least. He's left Charlton without their main striker and without an option to bring anyone in. 

Charlton could be able to sue him if they get relegated, he is contracted and should play. By him not making himself available and without Charlton able to bring in a replacement he is massively affecting their chances of staying up. 

26 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think my broader concern is that if, as rumoured, we were one of the clubs in for him it would give me serious concerns over his attitude and make me less keen on the transaction.

I get that he only has 9 games left and the chance of a big move. But he is contracted, and therefore it’s a two way street - he should play when he has the ability to do so. It’s not like it’s slavery - and tbh, with the testing regime professional football will be one of the safest COVID professions. So I don’t see a reason for him not to play other than selfishness, whether for himself or his family. And I don’t see that’s valid.

And for those with a different viewpoint, how did you feel about Kodjia at Scunny?

When I heard about Kodjia I was a bit annoyed but very quickly calmed down and was fine with him.  I have never booed him, for example.  

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

He should hand back all the money since he last played at least. He's left Charlton without their main striker and without an option to bring anyone in. 

Charlton could be able to sue him if they get relegated, he is contracted and should play. By him not making himself available and without Charlton able to bring in a replacement he is massively affecting their chances of staying up. 

Why? If the season was called tomorrow and done on PPG he wouldn't be in the wrong at all, you could only claim he'd be in the wrong from when the plan to restart was announced. Think suing him would be difficult as well not least for Charlton not wanting the financial outlay for a lawyer/team of lawyers. Think it would prove difficult as Taylor could easily claim he felt his physical condition wouldn't be cared for and therefore be negligent on behalf of Charlton if they played him a lot in that period, once he's on the pitch its hard for him to come off if Bowyer has no intention, bar faking an injury. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Shouldn't that be £240k a year minimum ?

Archived