IGNORED

Players Refusing to Play

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Rubbish. They earn enough as it is. 

He’s had a lower league player’s career until recently.  He won’t be “minted” like many of his teammates.  It’s possible he’s in talks with clubs and could sign a contract / pre-contract today, meaning he’s ineligible from 1st July.  What if that was for another Championship team...you start to get conflict of interest.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think my broader concern is that if, as rumoured, we were one of the clubs in for him it would give me serious concerns over his attitude and make me less keen on the transaction.

I get that he only has 9 games left and the chance of a big move. But he is contracted, and therefore it’s a two way street - he should play when he has the ability to do so. It’s not like it’s slavery - and tbh, with the testing regime professional football will be one of the safest COVID professions. So I don’t see a reason for him not to play other than selfishness, whether for himself or his family. And I don’t see that’s valid.

And for those with a different viewpoint, how did you feel about Kodjia at Scunny?

Here are their remaining games.

886597C9-118E-4A96-BF6A-A1E939E1BEAD.thumb.jpeg.d7996e6421e926c3b6b1fff5a3c7b004.jpeg

Imagine he agreed a deal with QPR or Cardiff (games likely to be before 30.06)....you’d question whether he’d want to beat his new team?

If he refuses to play, just fine him. (Same view with Kodjia).

I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Even if he doesn’t sign a deal, I wouldn’t expect him to play beyond 30.06, when he will be getting his month settlement.  He gets that whether he plays or not, and risks his career.  If Charlton want to extend him short-term and he agrees, then fine....just looks clear that he wants out.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think my broader concern is that if, as rumoured, we were one of the clubs in for him it would give me serious concerns over his attitude and make me less keen on the transaction.

I get that he only has 9 games left and the chance of a big move. But he is contracted, and therefore it’s a two way street - he should play when he has the ability to do so. It’s not like it’s slavery - and tbh, with the testing regime professional football will be one of the safest COVID professions. So I don’t see a reason for him not to play other than selfishness, whether for himself or his family. And I don’t see that’s valid.

And for those with a different viewpoint, how did you feel about Kodjia at Scunny?

Agreed. I was keen but now not so much- DNA always a question with players...

• Admin
1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Every man has the right to withdraw his labour, and especially so if he feels his livelihood is at risk. A contract doesn't mandate a player to play it just secures his livelihood. After all Managers are under no obligation to play a player and there are plenty of examples of them refusing to play players for non footballing reasons. 

The idea that a player is showing disrespect to a club is laughable. He may be drawing a wage during the pandemic but so are many people up and down the nation in all walks of life. Let's not forget that Charlton freely entered into the contract he has too. 

Very true, but he will be in breach of the contract that he signed and Charlton will have every right to throw the book at him

Footballers are really in a fortunate place where they are being tested so often and will be having the best care available to them

I wonder if I ask to have next week off as I am afraid my work may impact on any future job I may apply for

I'm intrigued what Taylor thought he was going to do with the last 9 games of the season if it hadn't have been interupted - was he going to down tools anyway?

Just now, phantom said:

Very true, but he will be in breach of the contract that he signed and Charlton will have every right to throw the book at him

Footballers are really in a fortunate place where they are being tested so often and will be having the best care available to them

I wonder if I ask to have next week off as I am afraid my work may impact on any future job I may apply for

I'm intrigued what Taylor thought he was going to do with the last 9 games of the season if it hadn't have been interupted - was he going to down tools anyway?

I am sure they will fine him. No problem with that.  The situation has changed. He is not downing tools for 9 games now. He is downing tools for 1 or 2 games as his contract expires on 30/6

2 hours ago, Selred said:

No it's completely ridiculous. Charlton pay his wages, its 9 games. Its like a pilot refusing to fly in case he crashes. Theres only small chance he'd get a career ending injury. 

What about the fact that he could possibly get the virus from it and spread it to loved ones?

Do you know none of his family are not in the high risk criteria? Just because he earns a lot of money doesn't mean he should have to put himself at risk

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Pretty sure that technically contracts expire at the end of May and so the final salary for June is effectively a goodwill payment, meaning anyone who has already been told they are being released like Solly, or who has signalled their intention to move on, like Taylor is effectively out of contract now.

The compromise mooted was to extend contracts temporarily in order to allow those out of contract to play but it is absolutely their right to refuse this option.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure that technically contracts expire at the end of May and so the final salary for June is effectively a goodwill payment, meaning anyone who has already been told they are being released like Solly, or who has signalled their intention to move on, like Taylor is effectively out of contract now.

The compromise mooted was to extend contracts temporarily in order to allow those out of contract to play but it is absolutely their right to refuse this option.

30th June is the end dates on contracts isn’t it?

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

30th June is the end dates on contracts isn’t it?

It is, but in every other season there is no football played in this month so if you know you are leaving at the end of it I cannot see how a club can make you play in June, or if they force you to, be confident about the performance they will get.

9 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Yeah it is and the good will payment covers July I believe

You’re right, apologies.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It is, but in every other season there is no football played in this month so if you know you are leaving at the end of it I cannot see how a club can make you play in June, or if they force you to, be confident about the performance they will get.

You’re right, apologies.

You are forgiven ?

In regards to Lyle Taylor I can see both sides of the argument but do feel he is in the wrong here, if he was to play the games that would be within his contracted period but sit out those in July I would say he is within his rights to do so (goodwill payment or not) but to refuse to play whilst still under contract sets a dangerous precendence even when things do go back to normal. If in a years time say Niclas Eliasson refuses to play from say January onwards becasue he doesn't want to miss out on a bigger contract from abroad (Lazio were linked this January IIRC) then we would be up in arms about, almost makes having a contract pointless.

• Admin
34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I am sure they will fine him. No problem with that.  The situation has changed. He is not downing tools for 9 games now. He is downing tools for 1 or 2 games as his contract expires on 30/6

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Ahh apologies @And Its Smith @GrahamC I had missed that key factor

This will be interesting as some players will want their deals automatically extended and others like Taylor will want them to end

Surely whatever happens is a decision that impacts the same on all contracts / players

31 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

What about the fact that he could possibly get the virus from it and spread it to loved ones?

Do you know none of his family are not in the high risk criteria? Just because he earns a lot of money doesn't mean he should have to put himself at risk

Hes not playing because of risk of injury, nothing to do with COVID-19.

5 hours ago, Selred said:

Because he has taken an wage since that game with no intentions of playing again for the club. 

And he'd have been entitled to a wage if it had been settled on points per game, if he's kept up with his training programme given to him by the club he's worked and done everything asked of him in that period, seemingly he's only displayed a reluctance to work since the restart has got close to being organised, so just fine him so he misses out on his wages while he refuses to play or for this month since its been announced. Can't take his wages if he'd been doing the work the club provided for him during lockdown.

4 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

Just as well the nurses , porters , cleaners and doctors have a little bit more about them...........plus the supermarket checkout girls etc etc etc

No sympathy, just another over paid , over rated pillock 

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Just as well the nurses , porters , cleaners and doctors have a little bit more about them...........plus the supermarket checkout girls etc etc etc

No sympathy, just another over paid , over rated pillock 

As someone who’s had to work throughout i do find it a little disrespectful when people say it’s not safe to go to work when I’ve had no choice when most others were locked down 

But saying that i can see where the players are coming from and i doubt they’ll be the only ones, it is however unfair to throw their salary at them as lots of people have been paid not to do their jobs recently 

Maybe just maybe he has had talks with Charlton and said to them

"As i am refusing to play for you again I have no problem with you not paying me"

He could be a decent bloke i dont know never met him

but most on otib have already made their mind up that the bloke is a ****

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

You’re right, apologies.

Welcome back....hope it’s not temporary.

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Charlton forum has speculation that new club have told him not to play the remaining games

Yep, and it’s no different to any other player where we use the term “his head has been turned”.  If he isn’t gonna play 3 games, just fine him and move on.

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I think Lyle Taylor's big move may well be us.

I've just had a nose on the CAFC forum and they reckon his £9K a week wages have been quadrupled. I can't see us paying that for anyone, let alone Taylor. Hopefully we don't anyway.

he's off to the Prem I should think. I'll guess at Bournemouth.

34 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've just had a nose on the CAFC forum and they reckon his £9K a week wages have been quadrupled. I can't see us paying that for anyone, let alone Taylor. Hopefully we don't anyway.

he's off to the Prem I should think. I'll guess at Bournemouth.

Thing is if we were happy to pay £2.5 - 3m as a transfer fee in January plus wages of say £15k a week then by saving the fee we could well be prepared to double his wages in the process.

Archived