IGNORED

Players Refusing to Play

And Its Smith

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I've just had a nose on the CAFC forum and they reckon his £9K a week wages have been quadrupled. I can't see us paying that for anyone, let alone Taylor. Hopefully we don't anyway.

he's off to the Prem I should think. I'll guess at Bournemouth.

£27k per week over 3 years is £4.5m. Add on say £1m for signing. As there is no fee, £5.5m is decent for Taylor even if you consider his sell on value will. low as I think he is 29 already

If we do sign him then I think that means Afobe won’t sign as cant see us getting both.

I think it will be Watford or Villa

Less sympathy for Charlton, apparently they turned down a £4m bid last summer when he had 12 months left on his contract, if the player is telling you he won’t sign a new contract you can’t be greedy with 12 months left. Would we be turning down an offer like that with 12 months left now?

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Less sympathy for Charlton, apparently they turned down a £4m bid last summer when he had 12 months left on his contract, if the player is telling you he won’t sign a new contract you can’t be greedy with 12 months left. Would we be turning down an offer like that with 12 months left now?

I have no sympathy for Charlton regarding contractual matters having read Simon Jordan's book recently

4 hours ago, hodge said:

Can't take his wages if he'd been doing the work the club provided for him during lockdown.

But what's the point training if you're not going to play again? 

If your company paid for you to do a masters degree and you finished and quit then they'd be rather annoyed and want the money back. 

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

But what's the point training if you're not going to play again? 

If your company paid for you to do a masters degree and you finished and quit then they'd be rather annoyed and want the money back. 

As said as far as all parties knew before the announcement we could have been looking at PPG sorting the table and season over, thereby all action he'd taken would have been as club instructed. I haven't listened to Bowyer's interview but unless he said otherwise directly perhaps Taylor's decision was only made upon hearing the details of restart? 

• Admin
13 hours ago, hodge said:

Charlton forum has speculation that new club have told him not to play the remaining games

I get that side of things, but what I don't get is if the season had played out as it should have been what would be have done then?

He would still have had to play those last 9 games anyway???

15 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Just as well the nurses , porters , cleaners and doctors have a little bit more about them...........plus the supermarket checkout girls etc etc etc

No sympathy, just another over paid , over rated pillock 

That is an uneven parallel. I have worked through this lockdown as I have through outbreaks such as E coli etc in services. It's part of my work. Its necessary and essential.

The same simply cannot be said about football.

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

I get that side of things, but what I don't get is if the season had played out as it should have been what would be have done then?

....and he might have gone into them half-hearted to avoid injury, knowing of interest as soon as window open.

16 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Just as well the nurses , porters , cleaners and doctors have a little bit more about them...........plus the supermarket checkout girls etc etc etc

No sympathy, just another over paid , over rated pillock 

What those jobs you mean that are classified as essential and make the country still run.

I love football but last time I checked it didn't save peoples lives or enable people to purchase food etc. 

I couldn't care less how much I earnt my family comes 1st and if i was a footballer I wouldn't be putting them at risk 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

He wouldn't have had a 3 month lay off from playing and having to return to full intensity games after 4 weeks of training (2 of which with contact training). Also he wouldn't have been at a time where he could have agreed a deal with another club, imagine he's about to sign a new deal and serious injury day before he signs and club pulls the deal.

20 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Maybe just maybe he has had talks with Charlton and said to them

"As i am refusing to play for you again I have no problem with you not paying me"

He could be a decent bloke i dont know never met him

but most on otib have already made their mind up that the bloke is a ****

his contract rons out the end of this month, so one months salary would not be a big deal for him, basically he is refusing to honour the rest of that contract because he only cares about himself

18 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

£27k per week over 3 years is £4.5m. Add on say £1m for signing. As there is no fee, £5.5m is decent for Taylor even if you consider his sell on value will. low as I think he is 29 already

If we do sign him then I think that means Afobe won’t sign as cant see us getting both.

I think it will be Watford or Villa

He's 30.  If we're going to take a risk on a player from a lower division I'd prefer we don't spend that sort of money on a 30 yr old who has an unspectacular career record.

I think it's very unlikely it fits with our strategy anyway.

50 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He's 30.  If we're going to take a risk on a player from a lower division I'd prefer we don't spend that sort of money on a 30 yr old who has an unspectacular career record.

I think it's very unlikely it fits with our strategy anyway.

I don’t necessarily disagree. I do wonder if someone like Afobe is also not viable as fee plus wage would probably come closer to £10m over 3 years. 

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t necessarily disagree. I do wonder if someone like Afobe is also not viable as fee plus wage would probably come closer to £10m over 3 years. 

Afobe is about three years younger and has a career of doing it at this level and a bit above - I'd rather £10m on him than £5m on Taylor with (massive caveat) the fitness team having 100% confidence in his knee.

I think now we've signed Wells - also the wrong age but we were in a tight spot - that it's most likely we will look abroad for the next one.

• Admin
On 01/06/2020 at 20:42, The Journalist said:

I think Lyle Taylor's big move may well be us.

At present it seems it is a choice between two sides Glasgow Rangers or Brentford !!!

-----------

Not sure if anyone has seen the interview with Lee Bowyer on SSN today - he was asked that as he is refusing to play etc is he still being paid

He replied that he didn't know and that part of the club was not down to him

I thought that a very odd answer as Bowyer had been very open about other things so it wasn't like he was avoiding any questions, but I thought it odd that he  didn't know surely at worst he would be curious?

On 01/06/2020 at 13:48, BigTone said:

No, but then it should be no play = no pay. Everyone else in the country is getting back amongst it.

And many haven’t been out of it never mind getting back amongst.

If I refuse to work then I not only wouldn’t get paid but I would find myself looking for another job pretty bloody quick too. Sick pay, nope ( unless it’s confirmed covid then max of 2 weeks), anything else you are stuffed.

I guess footballers are treated differently as they are more valuable (and valued) more than myself for instance. They are an asset and I am not. I don’t buy the theory that they are refusing to work to protect their family, does that mean that I’m not trying to do the best for mine? 

I personally don’t think the season should restart whilst people are still dying, or while we are queuing for groceries and children are in something that only resembles schooling. But as it’s been decided their work is returning they should get on with it and be thankful they have been able to avoid the world for the past couple of months. As I said for many things have just had to carry on, living with virus threats day to day.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

And many haven’t been out of it never mind getting back amongst.

If I refuse to work then I not only wouldn’t get paid but I would find myself looking for another job pretty bloody quick too. Sick pay, nope ( unless it’s confirmed covid then max of 2 weeks), anything else you are stuffed.

I guess footballers are treated differently as they are more valuable (and valued) more than myself for instance. They are an asset and I am not. I don’t buy the theory that they are refusing to work to protect their family, does that mean that I’m not trying to do the best for mine? 

I personally don’t think the season should restart whilst people are still dying, or while we are queuing for groceries and children are in something that only resembles schooling. But as it’s been decided their work is returning they should get on with it and be thankful they have been able to avoid the world for the past couple of months. As I said for many things have just had to carry on, living with virus threats day to day.

The only point I'd make in response to that is that you're essentially saying what we all know to be true, which is that most people have no power over their employers and, despite the fact that there is Health & Safety legislation to protect people from risks at work, few of us are in a situation were we can actually refuse to work in an unsafe situation. 

There is an argument that the fact that footballers do have the power to refuse to work in a situation where it is not safe - I realise that is different to Lyle Taylor's reasoning - could give players an opportunity to make a stand and remind all employers of their responsibilities. I don't buy the idea that footballers should be more valued as human beings than supermarket workers nor that anyone who goes to work when they are compelled by their employers to do so is doing anything other than the absolute best for their family. But I do think it is a travesty and a disgrace that so many people have been forced to go to work in unsafe environments in recent months and that the guidance for returning to work for non-essential workers is worded in such a way that employers can pretty much do what they want and nobody will be checking on them whilst employees are given on guidance on how to assert their rights.

I don't think anyone should be compelled to go to work if they feel they are jeopardising their safety by being there I recognise that most people do not have that choice but am not going to criticise any footballer who does have that choice for asserting it.

On 01/06/2020 at 23:45, hodge said:

Plus they compounded it in January by turning down a bid from Brentford. Player was already to sign, but apparently club said No.

Archived