IGNORED

You are Lee Johnson...first game back, team?

Mr Popodopolous

Suspect we'll revert to something like what we saw against QPR last summer. Essentially a 352/532 with 3CBs (I'd guess Kalas, Baker and Williams are the first choice 3). Dasilva as the left wing back, with COD deputising. RWB is Hunt with Pereira rotating in when needed. 3 in the middle would be Smith and Nagy first choice with Massengo on from the bench and Henriksen as needed. 3rd midfielder is Paterson or Palmer when we want to be aggressive  and a third from those already listed when control is required. The front two could honestly be any from Afobe, Wells, Fam and Weimann.  With rumours of 5 subs being allowed there is plenty of scope fro flexibility during the game.

I think Bentley has No.1 spot nailed on - although Maenpaa is an excellent deputy.

For Blackburn, maybe:

Bentley

Kalas Baker Williams

Hunt Smith Nagy Dasilva

Palmer

Afobe Wells

1 hour ago, miser said:

Very difficult to call. Depends who is match fit after a short pre season and who is mentally sharp. Don't think we can take pre shutdown form as a guide.

Hopefully our pre shutdown form will be improved upon (not being detrimentalto what we achieved....just want a bit more consistency). I'm genuinely looking forward to the restart.....if we mentally approach it as the start of a new season....we could push into the playoffs.....

Maenpaa

Pereira / Kalas / Baker / Dasilva 

Smith (c)

Nagy / Paterson / Massengo

Wells / Afobe

4132, not a diamond.  Might transition into 4312 in and out of possession.

Bentley

Pereira - Kalas - Benkovic - Dasilva

Nagy - Smith - Massengo

Palmer

Afobe - Wells

This is the team I’d like to see although not sure we should start like that away from home...maybe move to that in the last 30 mins and start Diedhiou instead of Afobe (as not to risk him - too much, too soon) and Paterson for Palmer (that could transition to a 4-4-2)

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Bentley

Perreira, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva

Smith

Weimann                      Eliasson

Palmer

Afobe                      Diedhiou

One in midfield.  Interesting thinking..

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Maenpaa

Smith (c)

Wells / Afobe

Maenpaa is an interesting shout- I've always felt the defence felt more secure, or he commanded it better- maybe that was the Kalas-Webster axis, with Pack in front too of course!

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Bentley

Perreira, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva

Smith

Weimann                      Eliasson

Palmer

Afobe                      Diedhiou

I don’t fancy losing 6-3 every game 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Maenpaa

Smith (c)

Wells / Afobe

Not sure about that one. Very weak out wide offensively and defensively. Either attack us wide or drag Nagy and Massengo wide to exploit Smith.  

My team FWIW:

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith Nagy Massengo

Weimann Afobe Wells

I'm torn between several variations though- could Eliasson and Weimann be left and right respectively in a nominal front 3- not so much strikers as wide forwards? Also is Afobe yert fit to lead the line- could it be at this time Weimann-Wells-Eliasson?

Part of me even wonders about Palmer behind Wells and Afobe or Weimann and Wells if Afobe not yet sharp enough.

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure about that one. Very weak out wide offensively and defensively. Either attack us wide or drag Nagy and Massengo wide to exploit Smith.  

Adequate numbers in the centre can see a side concede the flanks somewhat and remain compact in the centre to keep it out and indeed launch quick breaks that way.

53 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Ok, I’ve amended it.

Afobe, Baker, Dasilva, Kalas, Maenpaa, Massengo, Nagy, Paterson, Pereira, Smith, Wells, 

It’s a team, the formation is less relevant.....they might line-up as I suggested at kick-off or goal-kicks.  

Difficault to pick a team. Think there is many options and the starting eleven will be a strong team. Dont think that COD will be in the starting eleven, he often delays the game. We have lots of creative players and Im optimistic. Maybe Palmer come back and plays well, we will see. Afobe, Famara, Watkins, Weimann, Wells all good forwards. Problems in a good way If you can say so.

9 hours ago, The Bard said:

One in midfield.  Interesting thinking..

It's not 1 in midfield, its a diamond with Korey at its base and Kasey at the tip, with Weimann tucking in or providing cover for Perreira, and Eliasson doing tha same for Dasilva. Neither is particularly weak defensively with Eliasson having the best interception stars in the squad. 

Bentley

Kalas 

Watkins - O'Dowda

Elliasson - Paterson -  Palmer - Weimann

Wells - Diedhou - Afobe

Obviously this is a joke, but I wonder what would actually happen!

I even forgot we are just a point to 6th place, I don't know how.. probably other teams lost too cause we were pretty bad in our last games. We could be safe 4th but that poor results against worse teams made it harder.

I think with some luck we can get 6th and lose playoffs after. We need auto to go up, we are Bristol City, we can't win playoffs.

5 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Bentley

Kalas 

Watkins - O'Dowda

Elliasson - Paterson -  Palmer - Weimann

Wells - Diedhou - Afobe

Obviously this is a joke, but I wonder what would actually happen!

Would get violated on the break

13 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith Nagy Massengo

Palmer

Afobe Wells

That’s 10 of 11 I picked, Palmer for Pato in your case.

goalkeeper

right back right center back left center back left back

attack right midfield defense midfield both midfield attack left midfield

hit the back of the net forward hit the back of the net forward

44 f in 2

I think our best team looks something like:

Bentley
Hunt, Kalas, Baker, Dasilva
Smith, Massengo
Wells, Palmer, Eliasson
Afobe

I know people will have questions about Wells on the right but I feel he could be dangerous there as he's just one of those players you'd want on the pitch at all times.  Plenty of opportunity for him to get inside and beyond Afobe as well.  In short, that front 4 would be beautiful.

On 02/06/2020 at 07:05, Fordy62 said:

I don’t suppose “quit and leave team selection to someone capable of ensuring a shot on target” is a reasonable answer?

I've just checked the league table and I'm a little confused at the leagues apparent error ?‍♂️

They have us listed as being 1 place & 1 point off the play off places, having played the majority of the teams above us twice already, with 9 games to go. 

I wonder which team should actually be in that position..? Must be one of the bottom 6 teams. Very slack to make such a mix up in an important document. 

Without much thought during a quick smoke break at work:

Bentley: Hunt, Kalas, Baker, JD: Pato, Smith, Nagy, Eliasson: Fam, Wells. 

Tempting to go Palmer behind Wells and Benik but plenty of games coming so rotation needed anyway. Plus I always struggle to drop Nic.

Archived