IGNORED

You are Lee Johnson...first game back, team?

Mr Popodopolous

For me, I’d like to get Morrell and Walsh back into the squad of their loans are over. Possibly Moore, too.

Other than that, the Palmer/Afobe partnership bore fruit at the start of the season (and also brought the best out of Massengo) and I’d go back to that for the remaining games.

3-4-1-2: Bentley; Kalas, Benkovic, Baker; Perreira, Massengo, Smith/Morrell, Dasilva; Palmer; Afobe, Wells.

Eliasson’s off at the end of the season, so back to the bench he goes. Diedhiou, great as he’s been, would be a good option off the bench and hopefully his omission would stop us lumping it and play to Benkovic, Massengo, Palmer, Afobe and Wells’ strengths. Walsh would be another good option for Palmer off the bench, Morrell for Smith - if they’re eligible. 

In reality, it’ll probably be Weimann on the right wing, COD on the left, long balls to Fam and no service for Wells.

2 hours ago, tin said:

For me, I’d like to get Morrell and Walsh back into the squad of their loans are over. Possibly Moore, too.

Other than that, the Palmer/Afobe partnership bore fruit at the start of the season (and also brought the best out of Massengo) and I’d go back to that for the remaining games.

3-4-1-2: Bentley; Kalas, Benkovic, Baker; Perreira, Massengo, Smith/Morrell, Dasilva; Palmer; Afobe, Wells.

Eliasson’s off at the end of the season, so back to the bench he goes. Diedhiou, great as he’s been, would be a good option off the bench and hopefully his omission would stop us lumping it and play to Benkovic, Massengo, Palmer, Afobe and Wells’ strengths. Walsh would be another good option for Palmer off the bench, Morrell for Smith - if they’re eligible. 

In reality, it’ll probably be Weimann on the right wing, COD on the left, long balls to Fam and no service for Wells.

If Lg1 / 2 is ended our Loan players have been told not to re-join City, for fear of transmission.  They cannot play this season, and although I agree that in normal circumstances you’d want to re-integrate them, for covid reasons they are not.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

If we could pick up that gnarly old centre back pairing of Jim Beam and Jack Daniels I’ll be happy ...

Pacey full backs Johnnie Walker and Brandy Alexander bombing on either side

I think FD has earned the right to start, if fully fit.

A couple mentioning Marley Watkins. I tend to agree if things do not go well in first 2 games. .  LJ obviously likes him, and he can put himself about a bit. If LJ starts having his trust issues with players (Nagy, Massengo, Pato etc), he will revert to what he can trust.  It might not be pretty, but you know what you get with MW and Tommy Rowe.  We need to start well, get that confidence and swagger early, then MW/TR etc are not even in the conversation.

3 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

I think FD has earned the right to start, if fully fit.

A couple mentioning Marley Watkins. I tend to agree if things do not go well in first 2 games. .  LJ obviously likes him, and he can put himself about a bit. If LJ starts having his trust issues with players (Nagy, Massengo, Pato etc), he will revert to what he can trust.  It might not be pretty, but you know what you get with MW and Tommy Rowe.  We need to start well, get that confidence and swagger early, then MW/TR etc are not even in the conversation.

Unless you watched the couple of training sessions that have occurred, how can any player have ‘earned the right to start’ since doing nothing since March?! Do you live next door to FD and you’ve been watching over the fence?! ??

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not many nominations for our best ‘footballers’ - Weimann, O’Dowda and Eliasson ...

That could actually be a very useful or at least interesting front 3 tbh- IMO anyway.

Problem is, how do you leave out Afobe, or indeed Wells- let's not forget O'Dowda's form this season has often been right down.

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not many nominations for our best ‘footballers’ - Weimann, O’Dowda and Eliasson ...

IIRC we've scored more goals this season from Eliasson crossing to Weimann (3) than from when he's crossing to Diedhiou (1). Personal theory is that Weimann's movement is better than Fam's and so he's more likely to get on the end of the crosses.

If I was Lee Johnson I’d have spent months working out all the potential permutations presented by a fully fit squad and how many times I could change the line-up in the number of remaining games. I would then have calculated the maximum formation changes I could affect through substitutions during matches and associated surreal soundbites for post game interviews.

once I had completed this task I would write the names of each player on a piece of paper, fold it up, place it in the half-time draw tombolla drum and randomly generate my team selection-ensuring no less than 3 players are out of position at any one time !

1 hour ago, adamski said:

If I was Lee Johnson I’d have spent months working out all the potential permutations presented by a fully fit squad and how many times I could change the line-up in the number of remaining games. I would then have calculated the maximum formation changes I could affect through substitutions during matches and associated surreal soundbites for post game interviews.

once I had completed this task I would write the names of each player on a piece of paper, fold it up, place it in the half-time draw tombolla drum and randomly generate my team selection-ensuring no less than 3 players are out of position at any one time !

You cynical bar steward!

Why would LJ change his bred in habits of a lifetime?

On 02/06/2020 at 08:22, redsince1994 said:

Bentley

Kalas 

Watkins - O'Dowda

Elliasson - Paterson -  Palmer - Weimann

Wells - Diedhou - Afobe

Obviously this is a joke, but I wonder what would actually happen!

Worth a try but whats that nonsense about bentley in goal? 

2 hours ago, adamski said:

Sounds like the top 15 in the squad are named on cards and put on a dart board . Depends on how many red wines he has may have some accuracy on what darts hit which cards.

Hopefully in lock down his wife has refused him playing darts and he has time to reflect. 

Lets face it there is quality in the squad and LJ will and always put up a starting 11 to win.

Seems like a lot of people have gone delusional during lock down, we have Afobe, Wells & Diedhiou yet there are people seriously contemplating Watkins? Now, i'm all for a laugh, but this is a bit much surely? He really has been rubbish, Woolford esq rubbish (maybe a bit harsh on Woolford). Sure, he had a "decent" 50 minutes against Barnsley 30 years ago & is obviously liked within the squad, but to suggest he should play is cray cray. 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Sounds like the top 15 in the squad are named on cards and put on a dart board . Depends on how many red wines he has may have some accuracy on what darts hit which cards.

Hopefully in lock down his wife has refused him playing darts and he has time to reflect. 

Lets face it there is quality in the squad and LJ will and always put up a starting 11 to win.

There is, indeed, quality in the squad, LJ may say he does put up a starting 11 to win, every manager would, however I question his ability to do this effectively given the resources at his disposal.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What’s your definition of “best footballers”?

Players who are the most comfortable with the ball at their feet, players who show great awareness of what’s around them and what can quickly develop, players who can run with the ball and take opponents on, players who demonstrate ‘football intelligence’ by creating space for themselves and others and who can spot gaps and angles that others can’t, players who create chances for others and also create a buzz around the ground ...

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Unless you watched the couple of training sessions that have occurred, how can any player have ‘earned the right to start’ since doing nothing since March?! Do you live next door to FD and you’ve been watching over the fence?! ??

I watched FD park his car.....was enough for me.  First name on the team sheet.

Not my side but assuming everyone comes through the next fortnight safe & well, bearing in mind we start with an away game against a side also in with a shout of making the playoffs I think we will line up at Blackburn something near to this;

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Baker Dasilva

Weimann Smith Nagy Paterson 

Afobe Wells.

I think the only doubts would be over putting Benik back in from the start & whether Massengo edges Nagy out instead.

LJ is a big fan of Weimann so with other (better) options up top now will want to include him & Paterson has scored a few & assisted others after his return from Derby.

Like @Davefevs I prefer Mäenpää myself & would also start with Famara but have selected the side I think LJ is more likely to pick.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not my side but assuming everyone comes through the next fortnight safe & well, bearing in mind we start with an away game against a side also in with a shout of making the playoffs I think we will line up at Blackburn something near to this;

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Baker Dasilva

Weimann Smith Nagy Paterson 

Afobe Wells.

I think the only doubts would be over putting Benik back in from the start & whether Massengo edges Nagy out instead.

LJ is a big fan of Weimann so with other (better) options up top now will want to include him & Paterson has scored a few & assisted others after his return from Derby.

Like @Davefevs I prefer Mäenpää myself & would also start with Famara but have selected the side I think LJ is more likely to pick.

Think that could work - as long as the central midfield 2 don’t get isolated.  I sacrificed width (on paper) with my 4132, because we struggle in a big standard 442....and first game (I assume) will be Blackburn, who will be physical in that area.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think that could work - as long as the central midfield 2 don’t get isolated.  I sacrificed width (on paper) with my 4132, because we struggle in a big standard 442....and first game (I assume) will be Blackburn, who will be physical in that area.

Absolutely, which might strengthen the case for starting with Famara and is why I went Pereira over Hunt.

We seemed overpowered by them in midfield at home but aside from Korey (who is a cert) I’m not sure what other options we really have to combat that, Henriksen is the biggest in size but already seems out of favour, Rowe isn’t a central midfielder really, so it is either Nagy or Massengo.

Our Achilles heel, for me.

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely, which might strengthen the case for starting with Famara and is why I went Pereira over Hunt.

We seemed overpowered by them in midfield at home but aside from Korey (who is a cert) I’m not sure what other options we really have to combat that, Henriksen is the biggest in size but already seems out of favour, Rowe isn’t a central midfielder really, so it is either Nagy or Massengo.

Our Achilles heel, for me.

I'd say a contributory factor to our travails on midfield, is our insistence on fielding a two and then Palmer or Paterson central. You can be outmanouvered, overpowered- or both- quite often at this level with that kinda system.

Archived