IGNORED

You are Lee Johnson...first game back, team?

Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

I’d really like to see Palmer more in these last 9 games. There’s no better time for him with the options we now have in front of him! 4-3-1-2:

Hunt/Pedro   Kalas      Baker     Dasilva  

Weimann   Smith    Massengo

Palmer 

Afobe                Wells

I really don’t mind who comes in at RB. Both very capable on their day imo. Same goes for the Goalkeeper.

Midfield is where I struggle though - I don’t particularly rate Nagy, maybe that knock has affected his performances. But I’ve put Weimann in there as he gives us something both ends of the pitch.

Mentioned by LJ that Weimann was initially training with the midfield unit when they were still coming into training in small groups.

I really can’t pick the team I think LJ will pick.  The 4411 he picked v Saints had Rowe at LB (Dasilva played the later periods), so I’m not reading tonnes into that.

Everyone will be keeping a beady eye out for Wells and Weimann in the training videos!!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Mentioned by LJ that Weimann was initially training with the midfield unit when they were still coming into training in small groups.

I really can’t pick the team I think LJ will pick.  The 4411 he picked v Saints had Rowe at LB (Dasilva played the later periods), so I’m not reading tonnes into that.

Everyone will be keeping a beady eye out for Wells and Weimann in the training videos!!

And there you have it, the 2020-21 season encapsulated in a single sentence...

442 could see us going Wells/Afobe, by all accounts Wells likes to drop deeper and connect with play in the build up, Afobe can stay higher on the shoulder to keep defensive line deeper affording Wells more space, Wells can then make runs between FB's and CB's in space after Afobe drags players creating holes.

Depends on who is fit and sharp in training. If everyone is fit and sharp he will start Afobe and that means Kasey Palmer starts. 

Bentley did his chances no good the other day, however I still think he will start. 

Smith will be in because he always will be under LJ. 

KALAS is a shoe in. The rest who knows. 

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’d really like to see Palmer more in these last 9 games. There’s no better time for him with the options we now have in front of him! 4-3-1-2:

Hunt/Pedro   Kalas      Baker     Dasilva  

Weimann   Smith    Massengo

Palmer 

Afobe                Wells

I really don’t mind who comes in at RB. Both very capable on their day imo. Same goes for the Goalkeeper.

Midfield is where I struggle though - I don’t particularly rate Nagy, maybe that knock has affected his performances. But I’ve put Weimann in there as he gives us something both ends of the pitch.

Weimann in a CM 3 is certainly a bold call! I suppose his energy would be useful- if he still breaks forward he could maybe chip in a few goals from that position, can pull right in certain phases too- maybe to help out Hunt/Pereira when required.

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Depends on who is fit and sharp in training. If everyone is fit and sharp he will start Afobe and that means Kasey Palmer starts. 

Bentley did his chances no good the other day, however I still think he will start. 

Smith will be in because he always will be under LJ. 

KALAS is a shoe in. The rest who knows. 

5 hours ago, hodge said:

442 could see us going Wells/Afobe, by all accounts Wells likes to drop deeper and connect with play in the build up, Afobe can stay higher on the shoulder to keep defensive line deeper affording Wells more space, Wells can then make runs between FB's and CB's in space after Afobe drags players creating holes.

I wonder if wells will play in the 10 position and be the link between midfield and attack allowing us to play a 4 -4-1-1

Looks like it couple be 4-2-3-1 judging on today’s game with a team looking like.

Maenpaa

pereira Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith  Massengo

elliasson   Patterson   O’Dowda

Diedhiou 

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He did play there away at Wigan. Thought it worked well. Got moved back there after Wigan were dominating us. After that we looked far more in control.

Interesting that LJ said how excited he is by the 5 strikers we have. Wells, Afobe, Diehiou, Watkins and Palmer.

He then said Weimann is training with the midfielders. Does that mean as a right winger or does LJ have a new role for Weimann I wonder.

Watkins and Palmer as strikers is an interesting take by LJ! I still wonder if the latter could burst into space as some kind of false 9, in certain situations.

Right winger or striker seems binary, to me- LJ can be both a tinkerman and yet binary sometimes in the selections- how about a wide right midfielder or a right wide striker.

At Wigan we generally were dominated- maybe less so with changes, but we were in a number of ways.

A reminder...this is zero blueprint moving forward- or shouldn't be. Now Wigan's performances have often belied results but come on!

https://www.skysports.com/football/wigan-vs-bristol-c/stats/409671

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

LJ has previously said they’d look at multiple coaches for away games.  Guess that’s a no-no based on the EFL rules:

1B779883-AF13-40D9-8A6E-12069E4BFFF7.thumb.jpeg.19a2cf26bf0a661bff73c48e140a889d.jpeg

D7648124-541C-4E25-8860-78B49CD4DF9A.thumb.jpeg.799a3a15059b03b3e0799fc3aed0131e.jpeg

Can go on public transport but not hire extra coaches....

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well Watkins up top away at Cardiff and Barnsley really impressed me. 

Palmer seems more comfortable coming quite deep. Which makes me think of him as more of a midfielder. He doesn't seem to get in the box much.

Ah yes, good shout- had missed Barnsley away but Cardiff I do remember him doing well- had slightly forgotten though.

I just don't see him as ideal for a 3 personally- in terms of the control, for the good of the team it hasn't necessarily been evident- attacking mid perhaps, coming back- well maybe he'll develop into it but not now for me.

If it is indeed true that Weimann is a bit Coviddy, and Wells perhaps our of action too, it would clear the way for Johnson to either use the Elliasson/Diedhiou combo, or the Palmer/Afobe duo.

I'm trying to think like Lee Johnson now and I reckon he starts the game cautious, knowing he can make big changes 2nd half. 

Cautious LJ might fancy a bit of Pato and Watkins in a 5 man midfield that has Palmer feeding Afobe. 

That's my cheeky take.

Eliasson-Diedhiou- is it even thatr effective? Eliasson-Weimann has yielded 3 assists as Dave showed and offers greater footballing possibilities IMO.

However thinking like LJ, agree- I could see this kind of thing that you suggest. LJ thinking as usual will see us miss the playoffs I think but that's another debate!

On 13/06/2020 at 15:56, JonDolman said:

I saw Palmer clips the other day against Leeds and although he was sloppy at times, he did give Philips some real problems. Shows how much talent he has as Philips is probably a good prem player sort of standard.

Yeah I am more of a fan of an extra body in midfield like you. But I do think 442 can work too. It certainly works for some teams. 

I was hoping for the early season look to the team now Afobe is back but maybe LJ i going with something else. Lets see what happens.

I don't know if Wells is injured, but I can't imagine him not playing Wells and Afobe if fit.

If he is injured then surely either Pato or Palmer could play behind Afobe.

I wasn't sure if Watkins was up top or just drifted in from the right side in those clips. Well I like him in either position to be honest. Really would not mind Marley starting as he's a handful imo.

I really hope that he plays Afobe and Wells and doesn't try some "wacky" partnership of say Watkins and Wiemann for example. Personally I see him playing Fam for his defensive attributes.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

If it is indeed true that Weimann is a bit Coviddy, and Wells perhaps our of action too, it would clear the way for Johnson to either use the Elliasson/Diedhiou combo, or the Palmer/Afobe duo.

I'm trying to think like Lee Johnson now and I reckon he starts the game cautious, knowing he can make big changes 2nd half. 

Cautious LJ might fancy a bit of Pato and Watkins in a 5 man midfield that has Palmer feeding Afobe. 

That's my cheeky take.

I too have an awful feeling that we are about to see the LJ tombola wheeled out!

Here's one though. Not so much tombola but a bit like what @mozo said with Palmer behind Afobe and a 3 man midfield. 

GK

Back 3

Periera or Hunt, genuine 3 man CM midfield and Dasilva.  

Palmer

Afobe

3-5-1-1.

Bit like Sheffield United two years back with Brooks behind Sharp or Clarke. That was fairly effective and also avoided the risk of being swamped in CM. Of course a big factor was Sheffield United an their attacking overlapping CBs something we don't have right now- this might make us more vulnerable to Wing backs either being overcome with a 2 v 1 ie overloaded, pinned back or simply restricted thereby severely impeding our attacking options.

A second reservation I might have would be Williams. He isn't the quickest- hasn't been for some time. CBs who are 36 in late August as IIRC he is, aren't really conducive to a high line or even a medium one!

The team that Redpole suggested certainly sounds quite a plausible one knowing LJ.

14 hours ago, Lew-T said:

For me, he’s nowhere close to that top level yet. As you say his defensive abilities need improvement but I don’t think he gets in goal scoring positions enough. 

He’s quite happy to receive the ball from the full back, do a couple step overs and whip the ball in - repeat. I think he needs to be more selfish with the ball and become more ruthless for him to reach the top level. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ANtT0Tm5g

Think he has more strings to his bow tbh.

08:52 on here, shows him coming inside- laying off to Weimann and drifting back in centrally- Weimann scores. Not long before it also shows Eliasson-Diedhiou more orthodox- stepovers as you say. Was only a consolation goal but shows he is- or perhaps more accurately can be- more than the typical winger.

I remember watching all his assists this season earlier in the season- think there was a bit of variety.

Watched the first 26 mins so far. Paused it there, as it coincided with the opener. A few observations thusfar- by no means all but a few:

1. Actually quite competitive in the first half of that. Not always through fair means but competitive- winning 2nd balls, pressing high on Casilla when we got the chance.
  2. Had some nice spells of possession too- though Leeds surely had more overall.
  3. Early on, maybe first 10-15 mins there didn't appear to be a huge amount of chances either way. A number of fouls, was quite bitty I thought- not really flowing for either side, consistently.
  4. 22 mins in, 23 mins in- you  could see us visibly losing midfield, coming second best in central areas- what was also interesting though prior to this in our defensive third we had quite a few but didn't make best use of them- one that stands out is that think we had 5-6 in there yet ended up conceding a corner! From about halfway into this half though, it was becoming clearer. Visibly Leeds were taking control in these areas- what was also apparent was that their players taken as a whole were better at drifting in and out- not least e.g. for the goal- could see Harrison doing so in the buildup, think Douglas too came inside- and Hernandez of course is and has been capable in his time of playing as a winger, a wide midfielder or a CAM! The latter he perhaps showed with the goal. Arguably, though perhaps less of a factor, Forshaw's little pass in the buildup showed the importance of that extra man in there.
  5. Leeds were rather good at switching play, I have to say!
  6. Palmer as a CM? Dunno- have to say! Not sure I would, not even in a 3. Don't think he does enough  to justify it or perhaps more accurately is a sufficently natural fit for that.

Taking from that and despite Leeds' excellence, I think we can learn that:

• Palmer as a CM, even in a 3- can be quite ropey.
  • We are susceptible or can be to being outnumbered in there- but we have other strengths too- see Points 1 and 2. I think we need a genuine CM 3 however, but then again we aren't playing one of the top 4 every week.
  • When we do have good numbers in the centre- see the bit in point 3 about conceding arguably a fairly needless corner- we don't always make the best use of them. I'd have thought you can spring a quick break from there for example- maybe not that specific moment but that general scenario. Arguably should be clearing it to a more favourable position however!

It all feels a bit strange and the expectations from fans don't feel quite the same. This may all change when things officially 'kick off' but to me people seem fairly nonchalant about the restart.

I think because of this Johnson has an opportunity to be quite creative and innovative with his lineup. If possible Afobe and Wells should start together, when fit that's one of the best front 2's in the league in my opinion.

I'd really like to see Palmer AND Eliasson start but I can't think of a way this can happen which doesn't totally unbalance the team. 

On 13/06/2020 at 10:08, JonDolman said:

Yep. And the more options it seems can cause LJ more problems. 

We have a fantastic depth to our squad imo. And this should only a be a good thing.

I just hope LJ can find the right balance to get the best out of our key players. 

If we manage to look solid without the ball, and have Afobe and Wells playing to their best and scoring goals then playoffs can surely be realistic.

What I think may happen is LJ changes things too much and we don't get the momentum to win enough games to make playoffs.

Absolutely.

Interesting reading through this thread, I can always find a reason to nit pick someones selection, much harder to come up with a strong , balanced side. 
I even tried looking at it another way, who is a "must start". Even that is not 100% for many.

Keeper? I was calling fo NM to be number one for a few weeks before the break, started last 2 games but Bents was clearly brought in to be No.1. Not straight forward.

Defence?  Kalas and DaSilva probably , but arguments for all the rest to be given a shirt. Makes it even harder when you think we don't even know what formation it is likely to be.

Midfield?  Well, Korey but who else. Again formation would help, but even then, we are short of a genuine ball winner for a DMF spot, we are making do. Good technical players, lots of talent but strength/solidity is lacking a bit.

Strikers? Wells has to start surely. Apart from that, Afobe (looked impressive, but long time without competitive football), Fam (harsh dropping him possibly), Weimann (probably out of contention if rumours are true that he is the positive test), Eliasson/KP/Paterson ( I only see one from 3 in the XI)

So (and I know it's just my opinion ), as far as I can see we have 4 starters , and no system.

Next, I suppose you have to consider attitude;
                                      Being 7th, we are in with a shout. Add to that the anomalies that the Bundesliga has thrown up. Many more away wins. Not sure if that will benefit us or not, could the lack of decanting voices at home help? Could we be even better away?
I really think things could be cagy over the next 2 games, that could see us set up with a genuine MF3, but then that's not usually LJ's way. Maybe the 4-2-3-1 , with more defence minded players in the 3. Maybe a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, with someone like Rowe/Dasilve and Hunt/Pereira filling the WMF roles. Though that system may allow NE or COD to come in.

I doubt there has ever been a time where it's been hared to pick a side at City.

Just another little one to throw in, Watkins has to be in contention. Strength and an edge that could help, thought he was great at Barnsley and Cardiff, could definitely do that WMF role. 

So after all that my conclusion is, I've not got a clue what team or formation we will adopt Saturday. But I think the game will go a long way in deciding whether we are going for the Playoffs, or just seeing the season out. 

A week ago I was happy with my 4132, certainly in personnel, but once you start seeing LJ’s team v Saints you start reflecting on other factors...including opposition.

We don’t have any crap players who are gonna start and get universal moaning, we do have lots of players who some like, some don’t.

Blackburn usually play 4231, but when they don’t have the ball, the midfield really press the central midfield receivers.  I think we will try and miss out Smith and his partner (Massengo or Nagy), and hit Diedhiou and Wells (or Afobe).

The more I think about it the more I think LJ will go 442.

So I’m now thinking:

GK: Maenpaa (or Bentley - I’d go Niki but no real qualms over either)

RB: Pereira

CB: Kalas

CB: Baker (or Benkovic)

LB: Dasilva 

RM: Watkins (or Eliasson or O’Dowda) - I pick Marley for his physicality

CM: Smith (c)

CM: Massengo

LM: Paterson

ST: Wells

ST: Diedhiou

Subs: Bentley, Hunt, Benkovic, Vyner (club), Palmer, Nagy, Eliasson, Afobe, O’Dowda

Not kitted up / not travelling: Wollacott, Rowe, Williams, Weimann (Covid?), Henriksen

Shows what a tough job LJ has when you look at who might not even travel!

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Baker Dasilva 

Smith Massengo

Paterson Palmer Eliasson 

Wells 

For me wells did well at QPR up top on his own when I saw him so thought with Palmer/Pato and Eliasson behind he should get some decent service. Fully expect the team to look nothing like this though!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A week ago I was happy with my 4132, certainly in personnel, but once you start seeing LJ’s team v Saints you start reflecting on other factors...including opposition.

We don’t have any crap players who are gonna start and get universal moaning, we do have lots of players who some like, some don’t.

Blackburn usually play 4231, but when they don’t have the ball, the midfield really press the central midfield receivers.  I think we will try and miss out Smith and his partner (Massengo or Nagy), and hit Diedhiou and Wells (or Afobe).

The more I think about it the more I think LJ will go 442.

So I’m now thinking:

GK: Maenpaa (or Bentley - I’d go Niki but no real qualms over either)

RB: Pereira

CB: Kalas

CB: Baker (or Benkovic)

LB: Dasilva 

RM: Watkins (or Eliasson or O’Dowda) - I pick Marley for his physicality

CM: Smith (c)

CM: Massengo

LM: Paterson

ST: Wells

ST: Diedhiou

Subs: Bentley, Hunt, Benkovic, Vyner (club), Palmer, Nagy, Eliasson, Afobe, O’Dowda

Not kitted up / not travelling: Wollacott, Rowe, Williams, Weimann (Covid?), Henriksen

Shows what a tough job LJ has when you look at who might not even travel!

Think O’Dowda will definitely start, Bentley, too (though we both know who we would pick in goal).

Henriksen seems to be completely out of favour otherwise it is possible to still make a case for any of those not included in your non travelling party being in the 20 on duty, Wollacott because he would have to be if Vyner isn’t, Rowe has a lot of experience & versatility & Williams because he is ideal if we are holding on to a lead.

Archived