IGNORED

Contract and Loan Extensions

Davefevs

I've really mixed views on Korey. On his day, he is the best midfielder we have but obviously his fitness is a concern and, whilst this was starting to change in the games before the lockdown, I've been a bit uncertain as to how well he fits in with how we are trying to play.

I'd be really pleased if we kept him but, if we did, I could easily see a scenario where other midfielders came along next season and he struggled to get a place in the team. I do wonder if it might be in his interest and ours to shake hands and leave at the end of the season. It makes me think of Cole Skuse in a way. Really good player who was massively underrated by sections of support but in hindsight he moved on at the right time for everyone involved. 

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

IMO Korey is off. We've known for the last year that he was in his final year of his contract, either on our side or on his it seems like the deal hasn't been done for whatever reason. If both parties wanted to stay he'd have had a new deal signed before Xmas imo.

There won't be a market for it but i'd put good money on him going to Cardiff on a free

Think we were waiting for him to prove his fitness. Hopefully he has done that and will continue to over the remaining games. 

23 minutes ago, petehinton said:

IMO Korey is off. We've known for the last year that he was in his final year of his contract, either on our side or on his it seems like the deal hasn't been done for whatever reason. If both parties wanted to stay he'd have had a new deal signed before Xmas imo.

There won't be a market for it but i'd put good money on him going to Cardiff on a free

Of the last 8 games he’s started, we’ve won 5, drew 2, lost 1.

i don’t think his return to full fitness - post Xmas - should be under estimated.
2D743847-D3CA-48C7-BEF9-7838924231CA.thumb.jpeg.b2c4ed5cf42388adf8b33f604d236cba.jpeg

51 minutes ago, westonred said:

We already have the replacements with Walsh and Morrell these guys need to start soon otherwise they will be off

Walsh, Morrell, Smith, Massengo and Nagy is a decent mix of midfielders.  5 is the perfect number as well.  Wouldn’t really want to go into a campaign with any fewer than 5.  

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Think we were waiting for him to prove his fitness. Hopefully he has done that and will continue to over the remaining games. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Of the last 8 games he’s started, we’ve won 5, drew 2, lost 1.

i don’t think his return to full fitness - post Xmas - should be under estimated.
2D743847-D3CA-48C7-BEF9-7838924231CA.thumb.jpeg.b2c4ed5cf42388adf8b33f604d236cba.jpeg

Not understated it by any means, I'm just saying, even from starting away at West Brom, that was November time, and he's started a lot of games since then. From then, I still think if either party was desperate to stay then something would've been sorted by now. Unofficially now OOC in probably 2 months time, can't see it personally.

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've really mixed views on Korey. On his day, he is the best midfielder we have but obviously his fitness is a concern and, whilst this was starting to change in the games before the lockdown, I've been a bit uncertain as to how well he fits in with how we are trying to play.

I'd be really pleased if we kept him but, if we did, I could easily see a scenario where other midfielders came along next season and he struggled to get a place in the team. I do wonder if it might be in his interest and ours to shake hands and leave at the end of the season. It makes me think of Cole Skuse in a way. Really good player who was massively underrated by sections of support but in hindsight he moved on at the right time for everyone involved. 

I think leaders on and off the pitch has to be considered as well.  Smith is a leader and a captain. Do we really want to lose that when you consider that Williams will be off.  Afobe might well not sign. 

A team of Walsh, Morrell, Palmer, Baker, Dasilva, Elliason, COD doesn’t scream leaders. 

Our leaders right now are probably just Bentley, Kalas and Smith. Might be missing someone but look at both the successful city teams of the past and the opposition teams that have got out of this division. Full of leaders 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I think leaders on and off the pitch has to be considered as well.  Smith is a leader and a captain. Do we really want to lose that when you consider that Williams will be off.  Afobe might well not sign. 

A team of Walsh, Morrell, Palmer, Baker, Dasilva, Elliason, COD doesn’t scream leaders. 

Our leaders right now are probably just Bentley, Kalas and Smith. Might be missing someone but look at both the successful city teams of the past and the opposition teams that have got out of this division. Full of leaders 

To be fair, I do find this argument convincing. I certainly think, if Smith were to go, we would need a central midfielder to replace him and that would need to be someone with leadership qualities. And it might well prove to be the case that we struggled to upgrade on the player we have already. 

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Not understated it by any means, I'm just saying, even from starting away at West Brom, that was November time, and he's started a lot of games since then. From then, I still think if either party was desperate to stay then something would've been sorted by now. Unofficially now OOC in probably 2 months time, can't see it personally.

Guess time will tell but I would be so surprised if he didn’t sign another deal assuming he doesn’t break down again before the season ends.  Also assuming he doesn’t want to move away for family reasons.  2 year deal on £15k per week is £1.5m. Would cost way more than that to replace him just on a fee let alone wages on top 

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Guess time will tell but I would be so surprised if he didn’t sign another deal assuming he doesn’t break down again before the season ends.  Also assuming he doesn’t want to move away for family reasons.  2 year deal on £15k per week is £1.5m. Would cost way more than that to replace him just on a fee let alone wages on top 

That’s why Cardiff makes too much sense imo. Big pay rise, doesn’t need to move house, free transfer, two of his best mates already there

34 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Walsh, Morrell, Smith, Massengo and Nagy is a decent mix of midfielders.  5 is the perfect number as well.  Wouldn’t really want to go into a campaign with any fewer than 5.  

Don't get me wrong i wouldn't be upset if he stayed but you have to look at the facts he has been in the last 12 months of his contract this year and no offer has come forward so looks like he's off.  I'm sure if LJ had wanted to keep him and KS had wanted to stay negotiations would have taken place by now, so maybe KS wants, a fresh start, nice signing on fee somewere, higher wages who knows ? 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Ah, got you.

Assuming we are in the Champ next season (hope we aren’t!!) I think he’ll be offered a new deal.  There is just so much uncertainty at the mo’.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

LJ will look at that list... rub his hands at the technical prowess of our players then reality would hit and we'd play poorly against a team with several 6 or more footers and we'd feel forced into signing a similarly sized midfielders to address our midfielders lack of aerial ability. 

I am pretty sure LJ or MA said Henrikson's height was a key factor in our decision to loan him in and as a forerunner to that, the decision to sell Marlon, in that regard, hurt us.

LJ has said that most of the time (as depressing as it is) you need at least 4, preferably, 5 outfield players who are 6' or more in the Championship (and presumably are actually good at, you know, being physical and winning headers) and it means, generally, we have to play 3 centre backs and Fam to meet that.

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The story in the Portuguese sporting press suggesting that we are looking to make Pereira’s switch a permanent one seems credible & at present he is by far the most likely of the 3 to be in BS3 next season.

You may be referring to this, but there was a story in Record just a few days ago, which said that we wanted to make the transfer permanent but were negotiating to reduce the price. It didn't quote anyone and seemed a pretty pointlessly predictable story that I imagine it could have been made up, but the papers in Portugal are pretty well embedded in the big clubs.

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

You may be referring to this, but there was a story in Record just a few days ago, which said that we wanted to make the transfer permanent but were negotiating to reduce the price. It didn't quote anyone and seemed a pretty pointlessly predictable story that I imagine it could have been made up, but the papers in Portugal are pretty well embedded in the big clubs.

Definitely read something that I Google translated (is that even a verb?) from Portuguese saying we still wanted him but wanted a reduction in price due to Covid-19, which all seemed pretty likely.

I don’t think he has done enough yet to justify the rumoured initial agreed price, but can see why we might be interested in taking him permanently.

Good age, decent attitude, seems to have settled easily to the UK..

1 hour ago, awbb said:

LJ will look at that list... rub his hands at the technical prowess of our players then reality would hit and we'd play poorly against a team with several 6 or more footers and we'd feel forced into signing a similarly sized midfielders to address our midfielders lack of aerial ability. 

I am pretty sure LJ or MA said Henrikson's height was a key factor in our decision to loan him in and as a forerunner to that, the decision to sell Marlon, in that regard, hurt us.

LJ has said that most of the time (as depressing as it is) you need at least 4, preferably, 5 outfield players who are 6' or more in the Championship (and presumably are actually good at, you know, being physical and winning headers) and it means, generally, we have to play 3 centre backs and Fam to meet that.

What's the average height of the Leeds midfield?

Or WBA?

Or Fulham?

Or Brentford.

I'm not so sure about height being decisive- but they also have something else in common, a shape and a setup (ok 2, if not 3 spend quite a bit more as well), they play a shape that either is 3 in CM or enables 3 genuine CM type players to get in there. The centre to be filled. To gain control that way- budget wise we are higher than Brentford but likely lower than Leeds.

We do not. LJ does not.

Have just saw an article where Johnson has said that it's all agreed. Presumed it would already be on here so didn't copy the link. Will try and find again.

Edit: Can't find the link again (was a Facebook link) but definitely said that he was staying until the end of the season "whenever that may be".

Archived