Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Contract and Loan Extensions


Recommended Posts

According to Twentyman’s Sound of the City this evening, he tweeted that LJ said:

  • Afobe loan extended until end of season
  • Smith short term extension until end of season
  • Maenpaa ditto 
  • Williams ditto

No idea re Pereira, Henriksen or Benkovic.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to Twentyman’s Sound of the City this evening, he tweeted that LJ said:

  • Afobe loan extended until end of season
  • Smith short term extension until end of season
  • Maenpaa ditto 
  • Williams ditto

No idea re Pereira, Henriksen or Benkovic.

Promising signs for Benik on a perm do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to Twentyman’s Sound of the City this evening, he tweeted that LJ said:

  • Afobe loan extended until end of season
  • Smith short term extension until end of season
  • Maenpaa ditto 
  • Williams ditto

No idea re Pereira, Henriksen or Benkovic.

Thanks for the info. All I'd say is Pereira has featured in the club's social media output recently. This makes me suspect he'll be here for July as well. Henriksen and Benkovic on the other hand have been virtually invisible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks for the info. All I'd say is Pereira has featured in the club's social media output recently. This makes me suspect he'll be here for July as well. Henriksen and Benkovic on the other hand have been virtually invisible.

Maybe they haven't been in Bristol for lockdown and Pereira has? 🛫

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thanks for the info. All I'd say is Pereira has featured in the club's social media output recently. This makes me suspect he'll be here for July as well. Henriksen and Benkovic on the other hand have been virtually invisible.

Definitely seen Henriksen in the training video & I’m pretty sure Benkovic has been there, too.

Having said that Benkovic is clearly not going to be here beyond the end of this season & the next 9 games will show if we are in any way interested in extending Henriksen’s stay after then.

The story in the Portuguese sporting press suggesting that we are looking to make Pereira’s switch a permanent one seems credible & at present he is by far the most likely of the 3 to be in BS3 next season.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Definitely seen Henriksen in the training video & I’m pretty sure Benkovic has been there, too.

Having said that Benkovic is clearly not going to be here beyond the end of this season & the next 9 games will show if we are in any way interested in extending Henriksen’s stay after then.

The story in the Portuguese sporting press suggesting that we are looking to make Pereira’s switch a permanent one seems credible & at present he is by far the most likely of the 3 to be in BS3 next season.

 

Bloody hope he signs permanently. He is some player imo. Really fancy him to go on and be a top right back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not so promising for Korey though.

Would think for all 3 (Korey, Ashley and Niki) it’s purely a holding position until City know more about this and next season. Obviously none have pre-arranged contracts elsewhere, which is a good sign.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Henriksen has had some contact / offers?  Benkovic dependent on Ryan Bennett I would expect???

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not so promising for Korey though.

Unpopular opinion, but Korey has gone as far as he will for us.

He's had a number of injuries keeping him out for large chunks of time, while we have made upgrades in midfield compared to the squads he has been part of before.

Not to say Korey wouldn't be a decent player to have as a squad player,  but that would be his role should he stay, imo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Unpopular opinion, but Korey has gone as far as he will for us.

He's had a number of injuries keeping him out for large chunks of time, while we have made upgrades in midfield compared to the squads he has been part of before.

Not to say Korey wouldn't be a decent player to have as a squad player,  but that would be his role should he stay, imo.

that is the conundrum do we stick or twist its your call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Unpopular opinion, but Korey has gone as far as he will for us.

He's had a number of injuries keeping him out for large chunks of time, while we have made upgrades in midfield compared to the squads he has been part of before.

Not to say Korey wouldn't be a decent player to have as a squad player,  but that would be his role should he stay, imo.

I do wonder, if the injuries haven't set him back permanently. Not been expecting him to be the same player since his initial return from the first one last year vs Reading- didn't he have a second medium-long term injury?

On the flipside, if no major injuries- how good might he be now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Unpopular opinion, but Korey has gone as far as he will for us.

He's had a number of injuries keeping him out for large chunks of time, while we have made upgrades in midfield compared to the squads he has been part of before.

Not to say Korey wouldn't be a decent player to have as a squad player,  but that would be his role should he stay, imo.

I thought that too...until he came back and we arguably our best midfielder in the games that he played. That was enough to convince me he still has a lot to offer us.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Before signing anyone, surely we need a hint of normality. Sky won’t be paying much to show every Championship game, so where is the income? Championship football is nowhere near sustainable with fans, so no chance with no income. 
Yet again, obsession with our loanees, not seen enough of Benik, Henrikson looks distinctly average and Perreira does not look like a player you spend big on. Especially with an income of zero.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We all love Korey and what he has done for the club but it's time to move on , Liam Walsh and Joe Morell are the future and if their ready then KS could be allowed to go You cant hold back exciting young players to keep the old brigade 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t blame major injuries on Korey not resigning when you in other posts want to sign Benik..

I’d love Smith to sign a new deal, a real cult hero forever etched into our Bristol City history, The last of Bradford squad who gained promotion that night, 29 now, will he be holding the likes of Liam and Joe out? Possibly Joe I’d say, heartbreaking as it is. Maybe Korey wants to go? Move back to closer to London, a real Family man, I know either way he will come back and get that hero welcome

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the Smith situation is simple - we offer him a new deal.

While I hear what’s been said about giving Morrell/Walsh a chance, and I agree they should be in next years squad, without Korey (and on the assumption we don’t keep Henriksen) our CM options are:

Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morrell. (Rowe at a push but he’s purely cover). People like COD, Pato, KP are more attackers than pure CMs

I think I’m right in saying only HNM of those 4 has played more than 20 games at Champ Level or above in English football - and he’s still adapting, For all Joe and Liam’s potential, they’re unknown quantities in the Championship, and Adam is again still adapting.

On that basis, you need a 5th midfielder. Definitely one with experience. Definitely a ball winner. Definitely someone who won’t take time to settle in. You don’t have to pay a fee for Korey and we’d have to replace him if he went. It’s a no brainer for me

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

For me the Smith situation is simple - we offer him a new deal.

While I hear what’s been said about giving Morrell/Walsh a chance, and I agree they should be in next years squad, without Korey (and on the assumption we don’t keep Henriksen) our CM options are:

Nagy, Massengo, Walsh, Morrell. (Rowe at a push but he’s purely cover). People like COD, Pato, KP are more attackers than pure CMs

I think I’m right in saying only HNM of those 4 has played more than 20 games at Champ Level or above in English football - and he’s still adapting, For all Joe and Liam’s potential, they’re unknown quantities in the Championship, and Adam is again still adapting.

On that basis, you need a 5th midfielder. Definitely one with experience. Definitely a ball winner. Definitely someone who won’t take time to settle in. You don’t have to pay a fee for Korey and we’d have to replace him if he went. It’s a no brainer for me

I think your probably right and he will be offered a one-year deal on similar terms or maybe slightly reduced, it will be up to KS to decide if he wants to stay or possibly secure a longer contract elsewhere. My gut feel is that Walsh will be in the first team next season but Morrell may be moved on although that would depend if Nagy or Massengo move on so we will probably be looking for a midfield player this summer anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Before signing anyone, surely we need a hint of normality. Sky won’t be paying much to show every Championship game, so where is the income? Championship football is nowhere near sustainable with fans, so no chance with no income. 
Yet again, obsession with our loanees, not seen enough of Benik, Henrikson looks distinctly average and Perreira does not look like a player you spend big on. Especially with an income of zero.

What if we make the Prem ? 
That is a possibility and a game changer .

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Would think for all 3 (Korey, Ashley and Niki) it’s purely a holding position until City know more about this and next season. Obviously none have pre-arranged contracts elsewhere, which is a good sign.  Wouldn’t surprise me if Henriksen has had some contact / offers?  Benkovic dependent on Ryan Bennett I would expect???

Ignore Benkovic bit, that is more an issue for next season, not this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I think your probably right and he will be offered a one-year deal on similar terms or maybe slightly reduced,

Tough call. I'd doubt we'd offer him the same terms. But then again a year here on still decent money might be too good to turn down in the current crisis. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely baffles me that people cannot see what Korey brings to the side.  He is a captain, a leader, a battler in the middle of the park who is also good on the ball.  Without him we would have Nagy and Massengo as a midfield two.  Inexperienced in this league and not exactly strong.  

Why we would let him go on a free and then have to spend millions of pounds to replace him in a time of financial instability I do not know and thankfully I don’t think we will. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Absolutely baffles me that people cannot see what Korey brings to the side.  He is a captain, a leader, a battler in the middle of the park who is also good on the ball.  Without him we would have Nagy and Massengo as a midfield two.  Inexperienced in this league and not exactly strong.  

Why we would let him go on a free and then have to spend millions of pounds to replace him in a time of financial instability I do not know and thankfully I don’t think we will. 

I agree and currently it is Smith and Nagy or Massengo for the midfield berths, the only thing to consider with KS is that he is coming up to 30 years old now and has spent most of the last two seasons injured so it is unlikely he will be offered anything longer than a one-year contract by us, possibly with a clause that gives him an extra year if he plays say 30 games? Also with "the pathway" likely to be more important than ever it is likely that he would be the one to make way for the likes of Massengo and Walsh next season as they try and cement their places

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I agree and currently it is Smith and Nagy or Massengo for the midfield berths, the only thing to consider with KS is that he is coming up to 30 years old now and has spent most of the last two seasons injured so it is unlikely he will be offered anything longer than a one-year contract by us, possibly with a clause that gives him an extra year if he plays say 30 games? Also with "the pathway" likely to be more important than ever it is likely that he would be the one to make way for the likes of Massengo and Walsh next season as they try and cement their places

Also worth bearing in mind that we may well operate off a smaller squad now due to costs. Players who can cover other positions could well be vital. For example we have Hunt at right back and then Smith as cover along with maybe Vyner.  We don’t need Pereira as well.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Absolutely baffles me that people cannot see what Korey brings to the side.  He is a captain, a leader, a battler in the middle of the park who is also good on the ball.  Without him we would have Nagy and Massengo as a midfield two.  Inexperienced in this league and not exactly strong.  

Why we would let him go on a free and then have to spend millions of pounds to replace him in a time of financial instability I do not know and thankfully I don’t think we will. 

We already have the replacements with Walsh and Morrell these guys need to start soon otherwise they will be off

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Also worth bearing in mind that we may well operate off a smaller squad now due to costs. Players who can cover other positions could well be vital. For example we have Hunt at right back and then Smith as cover along with maybe Vyner.  We don’t need Pereira as well.  

Good point, think Vyner will be out the door this summer anyway as Taylor Moore is way ahead of him now and can also cover right-back but yes versatility will be pretty high on the priority list. The issue over Smith's ability to stay fit after the injuries is still going to be considered though as if you keep him on the basis he covers two positions and he then picks up another 6 - 9 month injury it would expose a smaller squad even worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...