IGNORED

City Finances Summary - Swiss Ramble

Davefevs

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

14th in the division for wages ?

LJ's budget not quite as mega as some think then? 

For me, it’s always been about how he’s used those wages....and also the trajectory of increases together with amortisation as part of our overall costs.  I look at it as there are probably 7-8 clubs on parachute payments, so we are say 6th out of the remaining 16.

Overall we are undoubtedly “punching”....it’s just Brentford and PNE are punching a “tad” better at the mo’.  By the end of the season that hopefully won’t be the case.

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

What is the high depreciation (4th highest in the division)? The value of Ashton Gate?? Is it a £3m per year straight line cost and for how long?

Depreciation is a kinda fake cost. It’s the determined value that your fixed assets have dropped by. So for example if you were a man with a van handyman, you may depreciate then cost of that over five years straight line. Say the van cost 20k, that’s 4K a year. Have you actually lost that 4K? You may sell it for 5k at the end you may get scrap. All of a bit of a guessing game. Without any further data I can’t tell you what that figure represents but I’d assume it to be stadium. 

• Admin

Why is stadium income and costs for the stadium redevelopment appear on Bristol City's accounts?

Surely they would be on Bristol Sport of higher up the chain?

I can't imagine these items are split 50/50 between the football and rugby clubs

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Why is stadium income and costs for the stadium redevelopment appear on Bristol City's accounts?

Surely they would be on Bristol Sport of higher up the chain?

I can't imagine these items are split 50/50 between the football and rugby clubs

Swiss Ramble's report is based on Bristol City Holdings Ltd which includes them all including Ashton Gate Ltd.

I guess that's why our commercial revenue is so good.

• Admin
59 minutes ago, Olé said:

Swiss Ramble's report is based on Bristol City Holdings Ltd which includes them all including Ashton Gate Ltd.

So pretty irrelevant for the football side of things then?

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Here’s the football club separately.

D5786990-9246-44DC-915B-B148ADEF3113.thumb.jpeg.9c133a316c77d24563d5162e85307f5c.jpeg

2 hours ago, Olé said:

What is the high depreciation (4th highest in the division)? The value of Ashton Gate?? Is it a £3m per year straight line cost and for how long?

A large amount of it is a depreciation in AGs value but not in the pure “stadium” value. There’s several minor additions and disposals in the accounts but the crux is that in the YE 5/2017 accounts the total land and building value was £45.1m, which included a large transfer in from assets under construction of £11.4m, which would follow as it’s when the stadium was finished. Notes in 2017 accounts also indicate that £44.1m was freehold and £1m was leasehold - by deduction I’d say the former was AG and the latter Failand. Against that, £1.3m of the freehold land isn’t depreciated so I further net AG down to £42.8m. Looks like the “asset” itself depreciates on a straight line basis at c£1-1.1m a year. Feels right as you should depreciate an asset over its useful life and that would say the stadium in current form is good for 40 years.

The bigger depreciation proportionately is on furniture/fittings/equipment and plant - I.e not the “building” but stuff like catering facilities etc. Natural life of those is shorter and in the latest year there was c£12m carrying value and c£1.7m charge for the year - again, looks right to me but probably done on a written down basis in view of nature of the assets.

Our revenue growth over just 4 seasons- or say from first season up back in 2015/16 to last season- wow!

Still maintain had Cotts held on with patience, he too would have reaped the rewards of higher revenue streams gained by LJ- we'll never know...

I digress- a great commercial performance, great commercial growth. Worth noting that it will include ie the commercial section both the WC Fanzone in summer 2018- ie June onwards and the concerts in May 2019. Even without Covid 19, I think we'd have been struggling to replicate that total amount.

• Admin
1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

It's almost certainly relevant as it's highly likely to the point that it is almost certainly the case that the reporting company for the purposes of the EFL's FFP is Bristol City Holdings Limited.

I'm confused how Ashton Gate Ltd can be used for our finances - would the same figures be used for the rugby club?

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm confused how Ashton Gate Ltd can be used for our finances - would the same figures be used for the rugby club?

No, Rugby Ltd sits outside of Bristol City Holdings (BCH) and they pay AShton Gate Limited (Part of BCH) rent.  In fact BCFC Ltd also pay BCH Rent.  All inter company business to business transactions must be treated as arms length, eg as if they weren’t in the same company / holding group.  BCH itself does not trade.

The club must have raked in the money from the World Cup Fanzone so I assume they’ll do it for every tournament going forward.   They must have been glad England didn’t get knocked out in the Group Stage! 

2 hours ago, LocoPal said:

Copied and pasted from Coppello's post some time back!

1578780880_BristolCityHoldingsdiagram.thumb.JPG.29cd965bacecf5af8455bd31bb276193.JPG

Yeah, I took a screenshot of at the time too.  He admitted that there should be a similar rental charge line from BCFC to AGSLtd too....as I mentioned in my post.

Once the company enters Guernsey it’s impossible to find anything.

1 minute ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I would love to know the revenue for 'Pula ltd' its website and everything that comes with it comes across as incredibly cheap. Almost has a shell company vibe to it.

Giving a search of Pula sports ltd comes back with Panama papers details, completely missed our involvement through Steve with that. 

• Admin
18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, Rugby Ltd sits outside of Bristol City Holdings (BCH) and they pay AShton Gate Limited (Part of BCH) rent.  In fact BCFC Ltd also pay BCH Rent.  All inter company business to business transactions must be treated as arms length, eg as if they weren’t in the same company / holding group.  BCH itself does not trade.

Thats what I was kind of hinting at, how can the football club document money made from the events held and the losses of stadium redevelopments?

How are those figures unique to the football and not the rugby club? Or are the numbers literally split 50/50 between the two clubs?

35 minutes ago, phantom said:

Thats what I was kind of hinting at, how can the football club document money made from the events held and the losses of stadium redevelopments?

How are those figures unique to the football and not the rugby club? Or are the numbers literally split 50/50 between the two clubs?

I guess purely because the football club and Ashton Gate Ltd are the “football club” in reality, just split to safeguard the stadium / land if the football club went belly-up.  It’s to save us from a Bury, or a repeat of 1982 when our friends in the north tried to buy the ground.  Plus I’m sure there are some other accounting benefits too!

The rugby club are tenants in reality....they just rent AG.

The Bristol Sport “banner” creates a false impression that it’s the overarching company for all sports.  It’s not.  Coppello’s picture shows that.

Bristol City, Rugby, Flyers etc for example all pay Bristol Sport for ticketing services, marketing etc.

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I guess purely because the football club and Ashton Gate Ltd are the “football club” in reality, just split to safeguard the stadium / land if the football club went belly-up.  It’s to save us from a Bury, or a repeat of 1982 when our friends in the north tried to buy the ground.  Plus I’m sure there are some other accounting benefits too!

The rugby club are tenants in reality....they just rent AG.

The Bristol Sport “banner” creates a false impression that it’s the overarching company for all sports.  It’s not.  Coppello’s picture shows that.

Bristol City, Rugby, Flyers etc for example all pay Bristol Sport for ticketing services, marketing etc.

Sorry for the constant questions, but really appreciate those answering

I thought that "we" were also defined as tenants too?

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Sorry for the constant questions, but really appreciate those answering

I thought that "we" were also defined as tenants too?

We are, but only because we it’s intra-company under BCH.  We have to pay a fair rate.

Archived