IGNORED

Extended interview with LIAM FONTAINE

Shtanley

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all still doing your best to enjoy lockdown. 

Got another interview this week, maybe a couple more to squeeze in before City return to playing. 

This week it's Liam Fontaine.

All the links to listen and follow us are here!

As always keen to hear people's thoughts and feedback, I've been thinking that the lengths have been a bit too long recently.

Trying to cut them down, the normal episodes of OSIB will certainly not be this long.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all still doing your best to enjoy lockdown. 

Got another interview this week, maybe a couple more to squeeze in before City return to playing. 

This week it's Liam Fontaine.

All the links to listen and follow us are here!

As always keen to hear people's thoughts and feedback, I've been thinking that the lengths have been a bit too long recently.

Trying to cut them down, the normal episodes of OSIB will certainly not be this long.

Lengths are what make it in my opinion. Interested in this one I always liked Fontaine and felt because his form dropped off some fans never respected the contribution he made. 

13 minutes ago, BristolCity1992 said:

Lengths are what make it in my opinion. Interested in this one I always liked Fontaine and felt because his form dropped off some fans never resected the contribution he made. 

Just now, SuperRed said:

Looking forward to this one and seeing if you / he acknowledge his complete loss of form / confidence. 

Exactly what made this one a really interesting one, but in a different way to the others. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Sounds like circumstances all came together which contributed to how things ended and it’s hardly surprising his form and confidence suffered as a result (trying not to give spoilers to those yet to listen) 

But it’s nice to hear he has lots of good things to say about Bristol and Bristol City despite how things ended 

12 hours ago, BristolCity1992 said:

Lengths are what make it in my opinion. Interested in this one I always liked Fontaine and felt because his form dropped off some fans never respected the contribution he made. 

Looking forward to this one. Enjoyed all the others. Totally agree with you about Fontaine, he was treated very poorly by some. He'd been a good player for us which seemed to get forgotten after his form fell off. He probably should have been taken out of the firing line but wasn't picking himself every week.

54 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Looking forward to this one. Enjoyed all the others. Totally agree with you about Fontaine, he was treated very poorly by some. He'd been a good player for us which seemed to get forgotten after his form fell off. He probably should have been taken out of the firing line but wasn't picking himself every week.

That was the biggest issue with Fontaine. Was a great defender for most of his time here, however his form fell below par, and was then handed the captaincy in the hope that he regained his previous form.

Unfortunately it had little to no effect. His form continued to drop, but, this was not helped by keeping him in the team. I get that after making him the captain, you'd look pretty stupid dropping him, but he really needed a spell out of the team, away from the spotlight so to speak. 

Could also have done from having a "Wilbraham" type around at the time. Strong characters like that, we weren't really blessed with at the time either though!

6 hours ago, Taz said:

That was the biggest issue with Fontaine. Was a great defender for most of his time here, however his form fell below par, and was then handed the captaincy in the hope that he regained his previous form.

Unfortunately it had little to no effect. His form continued to drop, but, this was not helped by keeping him in the team. I get that after making him the captain, you'd look pretty stupid dropping him, but he really needed a spell out of the team, away from the spotlight so to speak. 

Could also have done from having a "Wilbraham" type around at the time. Strong characters like that, we weren't really blessed with at the time either though!

Spot on. A classic case of being overplayed, when he actually needed a rest from first-team action and getting his head back together.  Same thing happened seasons later with Pack, though not to the same disastrous degree.

You're doing really well lads to get the guests and I'm looking forward to more. I'm always glad when one drops. 

One minor criticism though... right at the start he said he's been able to focus on his music thing, and I was thinking ohhh this is interesting, tell me about it Fonts... but you moved on with out asking about it! 

Perhaps this was something I should already know about? Did he tell you separately what this music thing is?

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

You're doing really well lads to get the guests and I'm looking forward to more. I'm always glad when one drops. 

One minor criticism though... right at the start he said he's been able to focus on his music thing, and I was thinking ohhh this is interesting, tell me about it Fonts... but you moved on with out asking about it! 

Perhaps this was something I should already know about? Did he tell you separately what this music thing is?

There's some stuff on his Instagram page! https://instagram.com/i.am.fontaine?igshid=b38ya41owr83

On 06/06/2020 at 07:24, And Its Smith said:

Fontaine a bit more guarded than previous interviewees which is a shame but still a very enjoyable listen.  

Agreed his answers in general were a lot shorter than the other ex-players recently interviewed. Seemed as if he had to be pushed a bit more to get information out of him. 

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Agreed his answers in general were a lot shorter than the other ex-players recently interviewed. Seemed as if he had to be pushed a bit more to get information out of him. 

I’ve not listened yet, but he strikes me as the sort of player to be a bit boring. 

Had some big characters here over the years & Fonts doesn’t strike me as one.

Was definitely one of my favourite players though, pity it ended the way it did.

14 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I’ve not listened yet, but he strikes me as the sort of player to be a bit boring. 

Was definitely one of my favourite players though, pity it ended the way it did.

I think we've just been blessed with some recent OSIB guests that were particularly honest.

Fonts is a bit guarded and just when you think he's about to divulge, he responds with "at the end of the day, it is what it is" and the like.

Still worth a listen though. 

43 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Was definitely a character tbf. Had previous guests saying he would be great to get on etc.  

Definitely a different type of interviewee to the last couple but still an enjoyable listen. To be honest I’m surprised Fonts had a good word to say about us. Haven’t quite finished so not sure if this comes up but I remember when he returned from the Yeovil loan and got put on the bench... he was booed when the starting line ups were read out! On the bench! Any chance of a return to form here was put to bed in that moment. 

Looking forward to next week! 

On 05/06/2020 at 18:34, Shtanley said:

If anything they are not long enough! I'm fine with mega long episodes as long as they are good!

Fonts interview felt a little different to the others but was still very enjoyable. Oddly I really enjoyed him talking about his time at Hibs, I remember the celebrations when they won the Scottish Cup, but didn't remember they were second tier at the time. That's a big achievement!

Agree with the comments on Fontaine being guarded in his answers. Oh well! I certainly wouldn’t describe him as a character after interviewing him for 3 hours. Not much storytelling on his part, didn’t fancy letting us inside the four walls of Ashton Gate did he. 

Nice guy Fontaine, not going to generate the interest of brawlers like Lita, Orr and Wilbraham (as Wilbs said in his younger days) with all their stories.  Felt sorry for Fontaine about his move to Southampton.

Enjoyed all the interviews so far but if I had one comment is that they've followed the same pattern, no real response or change of direction based on their comments. 

Think the length is just right lads?  To be quite honest they are such a good listen that I dont really notice HOW long they are??? Just sad when the pod finishes and cant wait for the next one to pop up???  Heres a couple of names to throw into the ring who whilst not enjoying the best of health in recent years would make great listens???  Alan Walsh and or Kieth Welch???  Just keep up the great work - brilliant listen lads ?

I agree with some of the other comments, he sounded a nice enough guy but very guarded.

He even said about half way though “I am not telling you anything you don’t already know”! 

Stan and Pete did their best I thought though so thanks lads.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Agree with the comments on Fontaine being guarded in his answers. Oh well! I certainly wouldn’t describe him as a character after interviewing him for 3 hours. Not much storytelling on his part, didn’t fancy letting us inside the four walls of Ashton Gate did he. 

Yeah and sometimes you'll get someone who's just not in the right mood. On a different day he might have gone nuts.

I think Fonts was keen to point out that his dips in form would have been due to particular reasons, and not a lack of desire or hard work. 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Nice guy Fontaine, not going to generate the interest of brawlers like Lita, Orr and Wilbraham (as Wilbs said in his younger days) with all their stories.  Felt sorry for Fontaine about his move to Southampton.

Enjoyed all the interviews so far but if I had one comment is that they've followed the same pattern, no real response or change of direction based on their comments. 

My dad pointed this out to me. There's only so many times people will accept hearing "When did you first become aware of football"

Archived