IGNORED

My most memorable home match

City oz

There’s been quite a few posts of late around best matches watched . My best and one I will always remember is Joe Royle on his debut and on lone from Man City. Those of us old farts that were at the gate that day will remember joe scoring all 4 goals against Middlesborough. I  watched this one from the enclosure that Saturday afternoon now of which is the front section of the Lansdown stand. 

It wa like  the icing on the cake with also great City players playing that day. Sweeney, Rodgers, Tainton, Gow and other great heroes.

I also remember sticks Ritchie and young Kevin Mabbutt continue to play off of Royle for the rest of that season.

Joe was at City for about 3 seasons and it will always be an era I will never forget.

21 minutes ago, City oz said:

There’s been quite a few posts of late around best matches watched . My best and one I will always remember is Joe Royle on his debut and on lone from Man City. Those of us old farts that were at the gate that day will remember joe scoring all 4 goals against Middlesborough. I  watched this one from the enclosure that Saturday afternoon now of which is the front section of the Lansdown stand. 

It wa like  the icing on the cake with also great City players playing that day. Sweeney, Rodgers, Tainton, Gow and other great heroes.

I also remember sticks Ritchie and young Kevin Mabbutt continue to play off of Royle for the rest of that season.

Joe was at City for about 3 seasons and it will always be an era I will never forget.

I always look back on that era as 'what might have been'.

I was in the EE for Royle's memorable debut, but unfortunately (and not surprisingly) it was very much a one - off.

He went on to make a further 111 appearances for City, scoring just 16 more goals.

Cheesley had shown at Highbury he was ready to take the First Division by storm and become one of the very top strikers in the country.

But for his injury there's no doubt he'd have scored at a far greater rate than Royle - presuming we'd have been able to fight off offers of course - and our time in the top league would have been far more enjoyable and successful, and almost certainly longer.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was in the EE for Royle's memorable debut, but unfortunately (and not surprisingly) it was very much a one - off.

He went on to make a further 111 appearances for City, scoring just 16 more goals.

Cheesley had shown at Highbury he was ready to take the First Division by storm and become one of the very top strikers in the country.

But for his injury there's no doubt he'd have scored at a far greater rate than Royle - presuming we'd have been able to fight off offers of course - and our time in the top league would have been far more enjoyable and successful, and almost certainly longer.

Agree totally on the big cheese. Still though watching a centre forward netting four goals is special and I do not think we will ever see that again for a long while. They were the dream years for me as young teenager 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Agree totally on the big cheese. Still though watching a centre forward netting four goals is special and I do not think we will ever see that again for a long while. They were the dream years for me as young teenager 

They were special, special times - I couldn’t believe we were signing England internationals like Royle, Hunter and Cooper - brill days! Royle scoring 4 was a great day - I think Carl Shutt also scored 4 for us in one game, about a decade later vs Fulham? And didn’t Ago also score 4 for us in a FA Cup match in the mid to late 90s?

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They were special, special times - I couldn’t believe we were signing England internationals like Royle, Hunter and Cooper - brill days! Royle scoring 4 was a great day - I think Carl Shutt also scored 4 for us in one game, about a decade later vs Fulham? And didn’t Ago also score 4 for us in a FA Cup match in the mid to late 90s?

thought it was 5 v st albans

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

I just looked it up on a couple of sites and they are saying Ago only got 3 in the 9-2 win over St Albans ... the other scorers apparently were Goodridge, Kuhl, Nugent, Hewlett (2) - but that only adds up to 8!!! So, perhaps Ago did get 4, but not 5?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I just looked it up on a couple of sites and they are saying Ago only got 3 in the 9-2 win over St Albans ... the other scorers apparently were Goodridge, Kuhl, Nugent, Hewlett (2) - but that only adds up to 8!!! So, perhaps Ago did get 4, but not 5?

If not Ago, perhaps an OG? :dunno:

12 hours ago, archie andrews said:

I remember 5 as well

My standard answer for a question like this, Charlton at home in the FA cup the year west beaten Liverpool. Lost the game but the atmosphere was just incredible. The place just felt nasty that afternoon

And the Forest League cup semi

What could have been on both

Chelsea in the cup about 89/90 

great game , big away following, lively atmosphere, and made all the papers Monday morning 

also beating Darby 4 1 a couple of years ago , some of the best football iv ever seen from a city team in my years of going 

47 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

I remember 5 as well

My standard answer for a question like this, Charlton at home in the FA cup the year west beaten Liverpool. Lost the game but the atmosphere was just incredible. The place just felt nasty that afternoon

And the Forest League cup semi

What could have been on both

That Charlton game was very fiery, not helped by the Scott Minto throw in. He stirred up so much anger on the terraces that day.

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

In one of the red tops after the chelsea game, i recall it reporting, a eastenders actor and his minder took a bit of a hiding.

His name was rod in eastenders, used to go out with mary the punk.

One of my friends from Uni is a Chelsea fan. I went to watch them a few times and he came to a few City games. Saw the actor known as Rod at a few away games.

24 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

In one of the red tops after the chelsea game, i recall it reporting, a eastenders actor and his minder took a bit of a hiding.

Rod Norman, played by Christopher McHallem

Rod_Norman_-_first_scene_(28_July_1987).png

To many to mention.their has been a few great games at the gate.i guess the longer you have been going the more you would have seen and the ones you wished you had not.the first div days of the late 70s were always the best ,top teams and top players ever game.and over the 4 seasons we had we beat all of them.hope it happens again one day.

Aside from the obvious games in my 28 years, one that sticks out is Swindle in 2015. After their little performance on and off the pitch at the away game, it was hugely satisfying to stuff them 3-0. Even better hearing Flint’s no, no, no in his post match interview. 

So many memorable matches at home and away. The First Division through to winning promotion at Chester.

But because it was the first promotion of my life, a 0-0 draw at home against Newport County at the end of season 1954-55 when we went up as Third South champions equalling the record of 70 points.

Apart from my very first game at Ashton Gate , there are two that always stick in my mind.

1. Promotion night v Pompey. For absolute nerve tingling expectation and excitement, nothing comes close.

2. Not a big game, but a division 2 game early 70s vs Orient ( I think) We were 3-0 or 3-1 down at half time but came back to win 5-3 with a storming second half performance ( LJ obviously got his AG tactics from Dicks!) ad remember Galley scoring a brilliant goal, almost over his shoulder, from the edge of the box. 

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Apart from my very first game at Ashton Gate , there are two that always stick in my mind.

1. Promotion night v Pompey. For absolute nerve tingling expectation and excitement, nothing comes close.

2. Not a big game, but a division 2 game early 70s vs Orient ( I think) We were 3-0 or 3-1 down at half time but came back to win 5-3 with a storming second half performance ( LJ obviously got his AG tactics from Dicks!) ad remember Galley scoring a brilliant goal, almost over his shoulder, from the edge of the box. 

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Yes, 3-1 down at half-time to Orient. Oct 1971. One of my favourite games as well.

And, of course, the Portsmouth match, although that was a nervy night towards the end. It was actually a dreadful game.

One of the most ( laughably auto corrector wrote ‘ mist ‘ ) memorable for me was the match v Leeds in the old First Division in a heaving Ashton Gate which was abandoned due to thick fog . 

It was so eery you couldn’t see much further than the edge of the penalty area and every now and again a bright orange thing would appear out of nowhere ( no not Donald Trump ) causing panic.

You could hear the shouts of the players and the roar of the crowd and had to try and guess what was happening. 

On 06/06/2020 at 11:35, Nogbad the Bad said:

In fairness to Royle he was primarily a target man in a struggling side and nearing the end of his career. It would have been interesting to see how many ‘ assists ‘ he had . He was class . 

The Cheese was much younger and I am completely in agreement with you . He was one of the key reasons why we got promoted and if we had had him in the team we would have not struggled as much as we did .

If memory serves it took us quite a long time to find his replacement , Royle . 

16 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Yes, 3-1 down at half-time to Orient. Oct 1971. One of my favourite games as well.

And, of course, the Portsmouth match, although that was a nervy night towards the end. It was actually a dreadful game.

Spooky, I was thinking of the Orient game too. I was 9 yrs old standing at the front of the East End. Amazing second half, the memories of which have stayed with me all this time.

22 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I remember recognising him as he was getting out of a car in Raleigh Rd before the match. Then saw his name in the papers the following week! 

Some high scoring matches have been mentioned but I can just remember an 11-0 City victory over  Chichester City in the FA Cup. Obviously not the highest standard of opposition but, when you’re young and impressionable,  who cares?  Obviously John Atyeo chipped in with 5 goals 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/remembering-citys-record-win/

I remember this being a rip-roaring cup tie. Jimmy F-H's red card gave us a decent chance and we were only a goal away from extra-time with Greg G running their left back ragged!

I also remember giving grief to  George Graham when he and the team got off of their coach pre-match. for his dodgy dealings!

image.thumb.png.1fc3d5c0d5e2ff53dba096eb4b3cacc8.pngtime. L

Archived