IGNORED

My most memorable home match

City oz

In the east end for Hereford Home, semi final 2nd leg that ended up with us at Wembley. With what the club had been through, I was in my late teens , literally crying at what it meant. The old EE was bouncing and it was a very nervous but MENTAL evening and it felt like the crowd dragged the team through.

Ref my previous post on the 11-0 City victory over Chichester, the picture on the front page of the programme for that match is interesting. In the background is the old “cowshed” stand which was basic to say the least. Still better than Rovers tents,  but basic. I think the two City players in the foreground are Alex Tait, who and Bobby Williams. The one in the background is difficult to discern 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/remembering-citys-record-win/

On 07/06/2020 at 08:46, 'Orns said:

I remember 5 as well

My standard answer for a question like this, Charlton at home in the FA cup the year west beaten Liverpool. Lost the game but the atmosphere was just incredible. The place just felt nasty that afternoon

And the Forest League cup semi

What could have been on both

We drew against Charlton - lost the replay didn't we.   I still detest Scott Minto to this day.

Memorable games for me at home seem few and far between.  I think its just because winning away from home is that more rewarding given the travel etc. 

Millwall in 2000 on the Friday night when we won 2-1, mad atmosphere.

Portsmouth 3-3 on opening day in 92?  Again it kicked off rather chaotically pre match iirc?

Ending the 9 game winless streak under GJ against Huddersfield, that was a good one wasn't it? 

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

We drew against Charlton - lost the replay didn't we.   I still detest Scott Minto to this day.

Memorable games for me at home seem few and far between.  I think its just because winning away from home is that more rewarding given the travel etc. 

Portsmouth 3-3 on opening day in 92?  Again it kicked off rather chaotically pre match iirc?

Ending the 9 game winless streak under GJ against Huddersfield, that was a good one wasn't it? 

Pretty sure we draw at home and then lost there. I do recall it being somewhat feisty. Think I was in the grandstand, towards the Atyeo end, and recall seeing it kick off in the East End/Enclosure corner. 

On 07/06/2020 at 11:58, downendcity said:

Apart from my very first game at Ashton Gate , there are two that always stick in my mind.

1. Promotion night v Pompey. For absolute nerve tingling expectation and excitement, nothing comes close.

2. Not a big game, but a division 2 game early 70s vs Orient ( I think) We were 3-0 or 3-1 down at half time but came back to win 5-3 with a storming second half performance ( LJ obviously got his AG tactics from Dicks!) ad remember Galley scoring a brilliant goal, almost over his shoulder, from the edge of the box. 

Also Dickie Rookes scoring with a classic header at the East End...could hear the sound of the ball being powered in from that massive forehead making a real 'splodging' sound! Thought he was such a solid centre half and brilliant in the air considering not being the tallest!

5-2 win vs crewe when akinbiyi and goodridge had the "stick with us, we need you" messages on vests / shirts beneath the kit. 

That game always sticks with me. Probably because there was not a lot to celebrate that season. That was early in the season too. Not like March / April time in a relaxation fight at the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, TomF said:

You are right about the Charlton game, Tom!

Millwall in 2000, I listened on the radio as we'd gone away for the weekend. One of those where you think a microphone has blown at the ground, incredible noise

Pompey was a crazy day, on and off the pitch!

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Pretty sure we draw at home and then lost there. I do recall it being somewhat feisty. Think I was in the grandstand, towards the Atyeo end, and recall seeing it kick off in the East End/Enclosure corner. 

The now famous piece of rope separating home & away fans.. then the genius plan of letting everyone out at same time when there was pretty bad feeling. I seem to recall it just blowing up by the wedlocks pub, someone ran over a cars bonnet and then all hell broke loose. 

Archived