IGNORED

Final 9 matches left

City oz

Going by current league positions I see city getting a possible 21 points out of a possible maximum of 27. Behind closed doors though probably does not have such a home advantage as it would when playing at home with the crowd behind you. It is also good too see that the season ticket holders can now get the live streaming and so they should. Are the pubs open yet in the UK with social distancing. I bet the pubs in bristol would be bursting with City supporters watching the 9 below.

Blackburn away - draw.

Sheff wed home - win .

Notts forest away - draw.

Cardiff home - win.

Hull home - win.

Middlesborough away - win.

stoke home - win 

Swansea away - win.

PNE home - draw.

10 minutes ago, City oz said:

Going by current league positions I see city getting a possible 21 points out of a possible maximum of 27. Behind closed doors though probably does not have such a home advantage as it would when playing at home with the crowd behind you. It is also good too see that the season ticket holders can now get the live streaming and so they should. Are the pubs open yet in the UK with social distancing. I bet the pubs in bristol would be bursting with City supporters watching the 9 below.

Blackburn away - draw.

Sheff wed home - win .

Cardiff home - win.

Hull home - win.

stoke home - win 

Swansea away - win.

PNE home - draw.

1) Not yet, no.

2) Oh they surely would, but that has to be a non-starter atm- otherwise you risk a flareup, second wave again and back to square one- or worse.

2 hours ago, City oz said:

Blackburn away - draw.

Sheff wed home - win .

Cardiff home - win.

Hull home - win.

stoke home - win 

Swansea away - win.

PNE home - draw.

Who cares ffs, the season should be scrapped end of. More important things in life atm 

3 hours ago, Redstoke said:

Who cares ffs, the season should be scrapped end of. More important things in life atm 

Of course there are ‘ more important things in life ‘ but football , sport , entertainment help us cope with these ‘ more important things ‘ by giving us a bit of respite from reality.

I would prefer that this season is finished when it’s safe to do so for the integrity of the effort that all clubs and staff have put in , next season is a new one and different rules could be applied where everyone is in agreement before the start of the competition. 

5 hours ago, City oz said:

Got to be optimistic. 

I seem to have convinced myself we're gonna return in amazing form and easily make the play offs, with Afobe scoring a goal a game.

But when we lose 2-0 to Blackburn and slip to 10th I can settle back in to reality

I was back in the UK and watched that one. It was my first time in the Lansdown stand also with my son from OZ. The trip back was for a family thing but still had the opportunity and enjoyed visiting Ashton gate. Any return to football in any way shape or form has to be good for all after everything we are have been through over the past few months. Plus months to come.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If he said 46 games of that kind of form then yes. But it's only 9 games.

We won 7 league games in a row last season with what I believe was a worse squad than what we have now.

We do have a stronger squad but our problem all season has been how to use it. There seems to be huge uncertainty about what our best formation is, what our best 11 is, the Elliasson and Palmer conundrum and now what our best strikeforce could be (likely a brand new pairing).

Us going on a fantastic run of form to finish the season is very much dependant on whether Johnson has solved these problems during lockdown and can articulate the new plan clearly to the players.

If these issues remain confused, I'd expect the performances to continue to be inconsistent. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Of course there are ‘ more important things in life ‘ but football , sport , entertainment help us cope with these ‘ more important things ‘ by giving us a bit of respite from reality.

I would prefer that this season is finished when it’s safe to do so for the integrity of the effort that all clubs and staff have put in , next season is a new one and different rules could be applied where everyone is in agreement before the start of the competition. 

It’s just a game.

40 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If he said 46 games of that kind of form then yes. But it's only 9 games.

We won 7 league games in a row last season with what I believe was a worse squad than what we have now.

It’s possible but it’s not just top of the table form it’s league domination form to effectively start a patch of games off with, we’ve started leagues well in recent seasons but effectively being top after 9?

1 hour ago, 'Orns said:

I remember 5 as well

My standard answer for a question like this, Charlton at home in the FA cup the year west beaten Liverpool. Lost the game but the atmosphere was just incredible. The place just felt nasty that afternoon

And the Forest League cup semi

What could have been on both

57 minutes ago, mozo said:

I seem to have convinced myself we're gonna return in amazing form and easily make the play offs, with Afobe scoring a goal a game.

But when we lose 2-0 to Blackburn and slip to 10th I can settle back in to reality

11 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It’s just a game.

It’s the worlds game. Not just a game. Live and dream Bristol city 

5 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

We've done it before.......why not ?

?

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

We do have a stronger squad but our problem all season has been how to use it. There seems to be huge uncertainty about what our best formation is, what our best 11 is, the Elliasson and Palmer conundrum and now what our best strikeforce could be (likely a brand new pairing).

Us going on a fantastic run of form to finish the season is very much dependant on whether Johnson has solved these problems during lockdown and can articulate the new plan clearly to the players.

If these issues remain confused, I'd expect the performances to continue to be inconsistent. 

Reasons like those for example...

18 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

We've done it before.......why not ?

I never said it was impossible just said it was very optimistic, if you look at the starts for the last 2 seasons after 9 games the top teams had 18 and 19 points. 21 is an extremely tough total after a restart like this/start of season

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

I never said it was impossible just said it was very optimistic, if you look at the starts for the last 2 seasons after 9 games the top teams had 18 and 19 points. 21 is an extremely tough total after a restart like this/start of season

18 or 19 would be more than enough for playoff's. I'll settle for that.

1 minute ago, OldlandReddies said:

18 or 19 would be more than enough for playoff's. I'll settle for that.

Oh yeah so would I, as I think any City fan would. I was just pulling attention to the 21 point total and how much of a massive effort it would be.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think success of these final games comes entirely down to the point you make.

I look at this squad and I think if LJ can get the right system in place then anything is possible in these final 9 games.

He has changed things around too much. But I think the Afobe injury was a big blow.

With Afobe and Wells now I think we have 2 real quality strikers that can do a bit of everything, score all types of goals and have pace.

So it's simply get the right balance behind them and with the rest of the talent we have I really think we have a chance.

For me Wells and Afobe plus Smith, Kalas and Baker are my definite starters.  The other 5 plus goalie are up for grabs and I think we could all make valid arguments for any of them.

You are right re pace....gonna be important.  Both have clever movement, giving different options.  Excited? Yes.

☝️ as you fellas say, there is a spine. But we (LJ) still need to decide if it's 3 or 4 at the back.

That will dictate if we play with wide men.

Even if we do play wide men, do we use wingers like COD and Elliasson, or narrow forwards like Pato and Weimann. 

Massengo or Nagy? Or both?!

These are Biiig questions and I honestly think we're going to struggle with form if we're still asking these questions ahead of the Shef Wednesday game and beyond.

One thing that I think Johnson 100% has to go with is Wells and Afobe up front. We know how good they can be and we have to just put all our faith in them and find ways to create opportunities for them. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

☝️ as you fellas say, there is a spine. But we (LJ) still need to decide if it's 3 or 4 at the back.

Even if we do play wide men, do we use wingers like COD and Elliasson, or narrow forwards like Pato and Weimann. 

These are Biiig questions and I honestly think we're going to struggle with form if we're still asking these questions ahead of the Shef Wednesday game and beyond.

One thing that I think Johnson 100% has to go with is Wells and Afobe up front. We know how good they can be and we have to just put all our faith in them and find ways to create opportunities for them. 

No arguments from me on that. With Fam ready off the bench that would be as good as it gets in this league. I do wonder if he will try and fit Andi in though - possibly wide which we all know is not his best position by a long way. We will need to rotate though given what the Bundesliga are finding with injuries due to not having a proper `pre-season` and Benik won`t be able to play v Stoke.

My side v Blackburn would be;

Bentley/Maenpaa (not bothered which TBH)

Pereira Kalas Baker DaSilva

Eliasson Smith Palmer Nagy

Wells Afobe

This based on Bradley Dack being fit for them - we need that extra body in midfield if he is IMO.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree on Wells, Afobe, Smith and Kalas. I'll be surprised if any of those are not starting if all fit. Dasilva too will be in the side I think.

I'm not sure what LJ's plan is with who plays with Kalas at the back.

Baker has improved this season and been much more like the first 5 months we saw from him in 17/18.

But also Williams has been superb up until the very final games before lockdown. And Benkovic is very highly rated and a ball playing type too.

Might even be 3 of them that get in the side.

How did I forget Jay.

On 07/06/2020 at 07:26, Major Isewater said:

If theres one thing that comes out of all this is how is how much i despair at not being able to watch my 2 boys, 7 and 10 years old play the grasroots game. Sorry but the pro game can do one for now!! Start again next season. 

On 07/06/2020 at 16:52, mozo said:

It’s a game every 3.5 days. He’s going to have to change players and switch up the formation at the same time. LJ has always liked a fluid formation and you’d hope that with the time off the newer players have been able to get a grasp of this. 

If we can keep the spine in place as much as possible, great, but I don’t see Baker or Afobe making it through all 9 games. And Smith and Kalas need to prove their fitness as they’ve been out a lot this season.

tldr: Expect to see a lot of changes. 

6 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

It’s a game every 3.5 days. He’s going to have to change players and switch up the formation at the same time. LJ has always liked a fluid formation and you’d hope that with the time off the newer players have been able to get a grasp of this. 

If we can keep the spine in place as much as possible, great, but I don’t see Baker or Afobe making it through all 9 games. And Smith and Kalas need to prove their fitness as they’ve been out a lot this season.

tldr: Expect to see a lot of changes. 

Afobe can have his rest v Stoke!! ?

Seriously though with 5 subs, he could play any 2 strikers for 60-65 and then the other 2 for the remainder of the game.  Still leaves him 3 subs.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Afobe can have his rest v Stoke!! ?

Seriously though with 5 subs, he could play any 2 strikers for 60-65 and then the other 2 for the remainder of the game.  Still leaves him 3 subs.

5 subs will bring huge amounts of disruption. A double sub will often bring a 5-10 minute lull, 5 subs will really disjoint the flow of a team.

But then LJ loves to tinker so expect to start seeing some first half substitutions. 

49 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

5 subs will bring huge amounts of disruption. A double sub will often bring a 5-10 minute lull, 5 subs will really disjoint the flow of a team.

But then LJ loves to tinker so expect to start seeing some first half substitutions. 

True, good point.

54 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

If we're 2-0 down to Blackburn at half time I want to see 5 substitutions for the start of the 2nd half. That'll shake things up!

Archived