IGNORED

Final 9 matches left

City oz

On 07/06/2020 at 09:27, mozo said:

I seem to have convinced myself we're gonna return in amazing form and easily make the play offs, with Afobe scoring a goal a game.

But when we lose 2-0 to Blackburn and slip to 10th I can settle back in to reality

Yeah know that feeling ....put 20 on finishing top6 at 5-1 this morning and as i felt (note felt) so confident i couldn't resist another 20 at 24-1 to be promoted....oh well, time will tell...

On 10/06/2020 at 05:46, Notbarrymanc said:

5 subs will bring huge amounts of disruption. A double sub will often bring a 5-10 minute lull, 5 subs will really disjoint the flow of a team.

But then LJ loves to tinker so expect to start seeing some first half substitutions. 

On 10/06/2020 at 06:36, Davefevs said:

True, good point.

IFAB have said that whilst teams will be allowed 5 subs these must be spread across only 3 substitution events (plus changes can be made at half time). So (assuming no half time changes) you have to make two double substitutions and one single, or one triple substitution and two singles. Or not use all 5. Should help a bit.

As an aside. I reckon we need 17 points minimum to give us a chance of 6th.

Our average haul from any 9 game sequence this season...is 14 points. Lowest is 9, highest is 19. Mode is 15, median is 14.

So if you go by the average set of 9 matches in 2019/20 we've generally not been doing enough to have a shout for 6th. Hence we sit 7th.

We need some luck. It'll be tight. Very tight.

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Our average haul from any 9 game sequence this season...is 14 points. Lowest is 9, highest is 19. Mode is 15, median is 14.

So if you go by the average set of 9 matches in 2019/20 we've generally not been doing enough to have a shout for 6th. Hence we sit 7th.

More than likely one of the pack will come back all fired up and go on a winning streak. We just need to hope it's us.

I don't know if it was mentioned on here but Blackburn got a spanking by Liverpool this week (0-6). Obviously there's nothing especially unusual about that but it surely has a slight impact on moral, whereas Brentford beating Arsenal will surely give them a buzz.

On 07/06/2020 at 10:13, 054123 said:

It’s just a game.

DON'T SAY THAT! Please! That is the worst, most stupid thing anyone could say! Cause it quite clearly isn't "only a game." I mean if it was do you honestly think I'd care this much? Eh? Eighteen years! Eight-teen years! Do you know what you wanted eighteen years ago? Or ten? Or five? Did you want to be Head of Year at North London Comprehensive, I doubt it. I'd doubt if you wanted anything for that long. And if you had, and if you'd spent three months thinking that finally, FINALLY you were gonna get it and just when you think it's there it's taken away from you... I mean I don't care what it is, a car, a job, an Oscar, the baby... then you'd understand how I was feeling tonight. But there isn't, and you don't, so...

10 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nice work.  I reckon 17 too, but....

....there is probably a margin of error based on Preston Result.  Really could be a “6 pointer”.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....there is probably a margin of error based on Preston Result.  Really could be a “6 pointer”.

Don't forget that game could be our Achilles heel too...

Millwall are 1 point behind us and on the final game play Huddersfield at home, an opponent which may have nothing to play for by then. 

With us and Preston scrapping it out in a tense finale, both needing to win, Millwall could be cruising in their game. Otherwise Cardiff in the same proximity have Hull final game. Possibly the easiest end to a season you could get!

The stupidly obvious thing to say here is that collecting those 16/17 points from the first 8 fixtures would really help.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks. I actually think the Cardiff game is more important than PNE. I expect when Cardiff come to AG they'll be in a position to go above us with a win. Lose and we could well see ourselves 9th and a few points from 6th.

But yeh that Preston game has been looming large for a long time.

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

DON'T SAY THAT! Please! That is the worst, most stupid thing anyone could say! Cause it quite clearly isn't "only a game." I mean if it was do you honestly think I'd care this much? Eh? Eighteen years! Eight-teen years! Do you know what you wanted eighteen years ago? Or ten? Or five? Did you want to be Head of Year at North London Comprehensive, I doubt it. I'd doubt if you wanted anything for that long. And if you had, and if you'd spent three months thinking that finally, FINALLY you were gonna get it and just when you think it's there it's taken away from you... I mean I don't care what it is, a car, a job, an Oscar, the baby... then you'd understand how I was feeling tonight. But there isn't, and you don't, so...

Sorry, I meant ‘it’s only a game to me’.

I just don’t think we are strong enough in midfield. I’d love to be proved wrong but Korey has had a lot of injury related absences in the last 2 years, Han Massengo is still 18, so it is a huge “ask” for him to shoulder too much of the burden, Nagy has struggled to stay fit & to me hasn’t settled here either & Henriksen appears out of favour already after just 4 games.

Cotts once said “win the midfield & you win the game”, I simply don’t think we are able to do so, despite possessing our best group of strikers for a very long time.

Archived