IGNORED

World Cup 1970 (Part 2)

Final 3 Star

Here are some more memories from the 1970 World Cup in Mexico on the 50th anniversary of the classic England v Brazil game. More about that in a minute. First, let me take you back a few days. So, England have safely negotiated the first hurdle, beating Romania 1-0, and the rickety old shuttle bus has dropped us back at the Guadalajara Hilton. A crowd of about 50 or so people has gathered around a television in the lobby, watching a rerun of the game. I find a place down at the front, sitting on the floor while others behind me are in chairs or standing at the back. The moment Geoff Hurst scores the goal they immediately cut to a commercial with a baby crawling across a blanket. Right on cue, a loud cockney voice booms from the back of the room: “Bloody ‘ell, they’re showing his bleedin’ life story!”

Some of the England players being interviewed by the BBC at the hotel. Hard to identify anyone – possibly David Coleman to the right and Nobby Stiles with his back to us…

001.jpg.c070bed1590a669e74f357b8d301b38e.jpg

England squad at an open training session…

002.jpg.53474e512162d150ffbbac1c9111cbef.jpg

And so to the game against Brazil, which kicked off at 12 noon - still a novelty back then. We were sitting behind the goal for Gordon Banks’s amazing save from Pele. I remember everyone in front of us rising to celebrate a goal and then the momentary confusion until we figured out what had happened. The following morning I spotted Bansky in the hotel lobby and asked him to sign a picture that was in the local newspaper…

0.jpg.c265ab140e719b13df8e73c1f86c177e.jpg

It was an identical scenario the morning after England’s 1-0 win against Czechoslovakia in our final group game. This time it was Allan Clarke and the newspaper picture of his game-winning penalty. I remember him studying the picture very closely before signing.

We remained in Guadalajara for the quarter-final game between Brazil and Peru, watching with one eye on the game and one eye on the scoreboard for updates on England v West Germany. At the final whistle we boarded the shuttle bus and tried to get clarification on the situation in Leon. We knew the Germans had scored twice to equalize and the game had moved to extra time. The radio in the bus was carrying commentary in Spanish and, although we couldn’t be sure, we sensed it wasn’t going well. Back at the hotel our worst suspicions were confirmed. That was it for England… but not for us. A short break in Acapulco was up next, followed by a flight to Mexico City for the Italy/W. Germany semi, the 3rd place game, and the final. Details to come in the final installment.

Thanks Final 3 Star for a wonderful recap but through your eyes.

The programmes I've watched regarding this World Cup suggest that the 'Bracelet Incident' happened and that Bobby took the fall deliberately to protect the player who actually was involved. Bobby refused to name names. Bearing in mind you were in the same Hotel for most of the time as the players, what rumours/fact did you hear about a certain bracelet?

I appreciate the hotel where a dodgy beer was given to Gordon Banks prior to 'that' game wasn't on your itinerary but what can you remember of what you must have heard?

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Thanks Final 3 Star for a wonderful recap but through your eyes.

The programmes I've watched regarding this World Cup suggest that the 'Bracelet Incident' happened and that Bobby took the fall deliberately to protect the player who actually was involved. Bobby refused to name names. Bearing in mind you were in the same Hotel for most of the time as the players, what rumours/fact did you hear about a certain bracelet?

I appreciate the hotel where a dodgy beer was given to Gordon Banks prior to 'that' game wasn't on your itinerary but what can you remember of what you must have heard?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the stories, Norn. To be honest, I don't recall hearing anything about the bracelet incident while we were in Guadalajara. The book "Bobby Moore: The Life and Times of a Sporting Hero" by Jeff Powell recounts the bracelet incident in some detail, together with an account of his temporary house arrest in Colombia prior to rejoining the squad in Mexico. As you say, he did acknowledge some time later that one of the younger players may have acted unwisely.   

16 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

Here are some more memories from the 1970 World Cup in Mexico on the 50th anniversary of the classic England v Brazil game. More about that in a minute. First, let me take you back a few days. So, England have safely negotiated the first hurdle, beating Romania 1-0, and the rickety old shuttle bus has dropped us back at the Guadalajara Hilton. A crowd of about 50 or so people has gathered around a television in the lobby, watching a rerun of the game. I find a place down at the front, sitting on the floor while others behind me are in chairs or standing at the back. The moment Geoff Hurst scores the goal they immediately cut to a commercial with a baby crawling across a blanket. Right on cue, a loud cockney voice booms from the back of the room: “Bloody ‘ell, they’re showing his bleedin’ life story!”

Some of the England players being interviewed by the BBC at the hotel. Hard to identify anyone – possibly David Coleman to the right and Nobby Stiles with his back to us…

001.jpg.c070bed1590a669e74f357b8d301b38e.jpg

England squad at an open training session…

002.jpg.53474e512162d150ffbbac1c9111cbef.jpg

And so to the game against Brazil, which kicked off at 12 noon - still a novelty back then. We were sitting behind the goal for Gordon Banks’s amazing save from Pele. I remember everyone in front of us rising to celebrate a goal and then the momentary confusion until we figured out what had happened. The following morning I spotted Bansky in the hotel lobby and asked him to sign a picture that was in the local newspaper…

0.jpg.c265ab140e719b13df8e73c1f86c177e.jpg

It was an identical scenario the morning after England’s 1-0 win against Czechoslovakia in our final group game. This time it was Allan Clarke and the newspaper picture of his game-winning penalty. I remember him studying the picture very closely before signing.

We remained in Guadalajara for the quarter-final game between Brazil and Peru, watching with one eye on the game and one eye on the scoreboard for updates on England v West Germany. At the final whistle we boarded the shuttle bus and tried to get clarification on the situation in Leon. We knew the Germans had scored twice to equalize and the game had moved to extra time. The radio in the bus was carrying commentary in Spanish and, although we couldn’t be sure, we sensed it wasn’t going well. Back at the hotel our worst suspicions were confirmed. That was it for England… but not for us. A short break in Acapulco was up next, followed by a flight to Mexico City for the Italy/W. Germany semi, the 3rd place game, and the final. Details to come in the final installment.

I would just like to say two things ;

Thank you very much for sharing these precious moments and 

You lucky barstard. 

:laughcont:

Archived