IGNORED

Top 5 Best Ever British Comedy Series

AppyDAZE

Father Ted ( is Ireland British ? ) 

Fawlty Towers 

Only Fools

Alan Partridge

Bottom

These are my favourites because they still make me laugh and have become part of daily life banter for many people.

How could I forget Black Adder ? 

We have been blessed with some fantastic comedies , I could add , The Good Life , Porridge , Rising Damp , The Fast show , One Foot in the Grave ...

Certain gems were of their era and are not as funny today , Steptoe and Son, Man about the house , Bless this House .

There are very few that remain funny despite several viewings; these all stand the test IMO:

Fawlty Towers

Dad's Army

Father Ted (British Isles!)

I'm Alan Partridge

Blackadder

Though I don't disagree with the ones listed upthread albeit I haven't seen some of them; or even heard of The Smoking Room tbh.

There are lots though that I found hilarious at first viewing but which didn't work as well the second time when you knew the twist / surprise.  One Foot in the Grave in particular; laugh out loud funny the first time and then the next time you know the donkey is going to wee in the bath.

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Though I don't disagree with the ones listed upthread albeit I haven't seen some of them; or even heard of The Smoking Room tbh.

The Smoking Room managed two series and remains one of my favourites. It can be found on YouTube though not in the greatest quality.

It features an (I think) fairly early Robert Webb role and several other well known British comedy actors.

Just discovered it's on Amazon as well, I rarely watch anything on that but may be firing it up later!

How many of the above series will be 'allowed' in future, given the current searching out of anything not PC?   Presumably it will do for Fawlty Towers (I must admit that I wince when I hear the Major's description of taking a woman to see a cricket match); Monty Python, The Two Ronnies; The League of Gentlemen (already off Netflix); Blackadder (appearance of Sir Walter Raleigh?); Only Fools; Porridge.  Hard to think of a comedy series pre-1980 that will survive.

Archived