IGNORED

Top 5 Best Ever British Comedy Series

AppyDAZE

11 hours ago, richwwtk said:

The Smoking Room managed two series and remains one of my favourites. It can be found on YouTube though not in the greatest quality.

It features an (I think) fairly early Robert Webb role and several other well known British comedy actors.

Just discovered it's on Amazon as well, I rarely watch anything on that but may be firing it up later!

Loved that show, very subtle

21 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Couple of things.

Father Ted isn't British.

Why does Porridge always get over looked in these lists?

I did say "British Isles".

I really like Porridge but the nature of the setting means that not very much can happen and most episodes are similar.

Last of the Summer Wine is like that, they're always enjoyable to watch (IMO) but there is very little going on.

With the ones I listed there is a lot of variety through the episodes which isn't something that you can really achieve in a prison.

Steptoe and Son is the same - great scripts, superb acting - but 90% - 100% of each show is shot within the static set of their main room whilst they recount things that have gone on outside and off camera.

I hate lists like this because I know I'll forget something I love and immediately want to change the entire list.

The lists are always dominated by Only Fools etc (I'm not saying they are not great!), so I am going to ignore the classics and just make a list of current or very recent shows I like so we get a bit of variety.

1. The Detectorists 

2. Friday Night Dinner

3. Gavin and Stacey

4. Brassic

5. Sex Education 

8 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I can't believe I'm the only one who mentioned Yes, Minister.  If you haven't seen that it is still comedy gold that stands up well today.

It is a very good show.

I also missed out Brasseye and The Day Today. Wasn't sure if just restricted to sit-coms. Pretty much everything Chris Morris touches is gold.

19 hours ago, Nibor said:

I can't believe I'm the only one who mentioned Yes, Minister.  If you haven't seen that it is still comedy gold that stands up well today.

Perhaps too close to the current reality for people to consider it funny...........

(Or, probably more the case, there have been just too many great comedies to choose 5 from).

On 13/06/2020 at 13:08, Nibor said:

Not only does it stand up well, it's been the blueprint for Government for the last 40 years!

• Admin
On 13/06/2020 at 13:08, Nibor said:

I went to see the stage show - twice, that was as good as the TV series, if not better.

My list - hmmm, difficult isn't it.

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Drop the Dead Donkey

Yes Minister

League of Gentlemen

Blackadder

And that leave some good shows not even in the top 5....

Those on the edge.. Father Ted, Spike Milligans' Q series, Red Dwarf and one that is a gentle piss take of British gentry... To the Manor Born

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I went to see the stage show - twice, that was as good as the TV series, if not better.

My list - hmmm, difficult isn't it.

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Drop the Dead Donkey

Yes Minister

League of Gentlemen

Blackadder

And that leave some good shows not even in the top 5....

Those on the edge.. Father Ted, Spike Milligans' Q series, Red Dwarf and one that is a gentle piss take of British gentry... To the Manor Born

Another cracking shout.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yep.

And in the rubble, a child's teddy bear, serving as a poignant reminder...

?

Some of the classics here. https://www.quotes.net/movies/drop_the_dead_donkey_101919

What a well written series and they refilled so bits as the news changed, I have never been a huge telly watcher, but this was one series I always tuned in for.

Archived