IGNORED

League One & Two Officially Finished

Unan

Embarrassing the way it’s all been handled. Difficult circumstances but the EFL have bottled it massively. 

What are all these clubs that voted not to play proposing to do next season then? Go and play another sport? I initially had sympathy for the lower league clubs, especially with the crazy money in the prem but now I’m not so sure.

Having said that great to see Cov back on the up. No surprise to see Swindon celebrating like they have won the champions league either. 

30 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Embarrassing the way it’s all been handled. Difficult circumstances but the EFL have bottled it massively. 

What are all these clubs that voted not to play proposing to do next season then? Go and play another sport? I initially had sympathy for the lower league clubs, especially with the crazy money in the prem but now I’m not so sure.

Having said that great to see Cov back on the up. No surprise to see Swindon celebrating like they have won the champions league either. 

I think for a lot of sides, they just can't afford to play the games to empty stadiums, not with the cost of testing, player bonus payments and travel costs.

20 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think for a lot of sides, they just can't afford to play the games to empty stadiums, not with the cost of testing, player bonus payments and travel costs.

I agree but a lot of these clubs have shown no desire whatsoever. Of course financially the L1 & L2 clubs were going to be stretched, but if they are so reluctant to try over 10 games what are they hoping for over 46 games given how unlikely it will be for fans to be in stadiums anytime soon?

They were all given an opportunity to get back and play? Surely that’s the whole point? I’m sure if the clubs wanted it enough they all could have pressed the EFL/PFA for financial support to at least finish the season. Let’s face it they are all going to have to get creative to find ways to survive going forward.

Football clubs that don’t want to play football doesn’t sit right with me. Some pretty gutless clubs in all this. It’s a real shame. The EFL have a lot to answer for as well. Complete lack of leadership.

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

I wonder if Cov will put a bid in for Walsh now. 

There are more pressing concerns, like getting their ground back and hoping that Brum don't jack up the rent now that they're competitors in the same division.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Back to the arguments of what constitutes a big club is I suppose. To remain in the top flight for 34 seasons following their promotion to Div 1 in 1966/67 is an achievement, but in all that time they didn't exactly threaten the top of the league. A single FA Cup win is not much of a return for a big club. 

This is true, but not winning much applies to a lot of top flight teams. It’s usually been the same few teams that have won the league with the rest floating in mid table or struggling to avoid relegation. There has been the odd exception when a different team has finished as champions, but it has been an exception. For most supporters there’s not much to look forward to apart from an occasional cup success. It’s probably better to support a team like West Brom who get relegated quite often but also get promoted quite often 

4 hours ago, archie andrews said:

don't underestimate how big a club Coventry are...if they got their act together ground wise they will be back in the prem some time soon

Speaking of Coventry;

• Admin

Stevenage Chairman on the radio earlier, he doubts they will survive dropping down to non-league, he did also say he didn't think any league club would, with no spectators, as the National League won't have any streaming revenue.  They might just get a lifeline if Macclesfield get sanctions, but it's a nonsense to get relegated with a game in hand + 10 games left, whilst the playoffs happen.

30 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Stevenage Chairman on the radio earlier, he doubts they will survive dropping down to non-league, he did also say he didn't think any league club would, with no spectators, as the National League won't have any streaming revenue.  They might just get a lifeline if Macclesfield get sanctions, but it's a nonsense to get relegated with a game in hand + 10 games left, whilst the playoffs happen.

What was the alternative? 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

What was the alternative? 

Not have relegation from the league.  It could have worked, if a club that has spent £3M on its academy (which it would lose after 2 years in non-league) and is well run suggests it can't survive in non-league, but could in the league, it seems wrong to relegate them - any of them.  He was suggesting that the streaming revenue will be enough for survival, without that, it could be enough to finish them.

9 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not have relegation from the league.  It could have worked, if a club that has spent £3M on its academy (which it would lose after 2 years in non-league) and is well run suggests it can't survive in non-league, but could in the league, it seems wrong to relegate them - any of them.  He was suggesting that the streaming revenue will be enough for survival, without that, it could be enough to finish them.

But wouldn't that be unfair on Barrow?

There's no right way to do it, and whatever way it's done will seem unfair to someone in some way. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

But wouldn't that be unfair on Barrow?

There's no right way to do it, and whatever way it's done will seem unfair to someone in some way. 

The Stevenage Chairman was very eloquent and accepting, but made the point the league could have accommodated an extra team for a season.

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The Stevenage Chairman was very eloquent and accepting, but made the point the league could have accommodated an extra team for a season.

But then what?

At one point there was talk of no relegation from the Prem, with a temporary increase in its size to accommodate two,promoted teams. But that would have meant fewer promotion places for the following year or two, just at the point where we likely become real candidates.

I agree with what you say about Stevenage, I like them as a club and it will be awful if it does finish them. (I'd be less understanding of a club like Villa saving their bacon by staying up artificially!). But I just think there is no way of doing this that's completely just and fair to everyone.

And, let's say the National League are allowed to play in front of fans next season earlier than it's opened up for the EFL and bigger crowds, could even be beneficial!

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

But then what?

At one point there was talk of no relegation from the Prem, with a temporary increase in its size to accommodate two,promoted teams. But that would have meant fewer promotion places for the following year or two, just at the point where we likely become real candidates.

I agree with what you say about Stevenage, I like them as a club and it will be awful if it does finish them. (I'd be less understanding of a club like Villa saving their bacon by staying up artificially!). But I just think there is no way of doing this that's completely just and fair to everyone.

And, let's say the National League are allowed to play in front of fans next season earlier than it's opened up for the EFL and bigger crowds, could even be beneficial!

You would have 5 relegated from the 22, 3 teams still go up. 

Only 2 go up from non league as well, so 4 would go down in this scenario. This always happens in league 1 where 4 teams are relegated and 4 are promoted from L2 in an average season. 

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

You would have 5 relegated from the 22, 3 teams still go up. 

Only 2 go up from non league as well, so 4 would go down in this scenario. This always happens in league 1 where 4 teams are relegated and 4 are promoted from L2 in an average season. 

Is that what was proposed? (Did they even get that far?!). I'd be surprised to see clubs in the Prem - however they got there - happy with 5 relegation places! 

(And even that puts other Champ clubs at a disadvantage - 5 clubs with parachute payments!)

19 hours ago, archie andrews said:

don't underestimate how big a club Coventry are...if they got their act together ground wise they will be back in the prem some time soon

Really? Last time they were promoted to the top division was about ten seasons before we were last promoted to the top. 

How will they manage to "compete" with all the clubs with parachute payments, like what we cannot ever "compete" with (see OTIB 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, otib for as far back as the eye can see basically)?

If Coventry now sail past us and get back to the top before we do, we really might as well pack up and ......

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No guarantee 71 (or 72) EFL clubs will be in place at the start of 20/21 season unless bail-out.

Should the worst happen I would either run a reduced football league until financial situation starts to return to normal but balance divisions where possible or promote teams from the NL to fill spots. I would pass a stipulation now, if clubs go out of business before the next season then promote clubs based on their performance in the play offs ie play off final loser is promoted, then the team in the semi final with the better record over the 2 games and then finally the last play off team should 3 clubs go bust in the division above. Would then limit it to 3 additional teams promoted. ANYTHING to do what is possible to prevent a mention of premier league B teams filling gaps.

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Really? Last time they were promoted to the top division was about ten seasons before we were last promoted to the top. 

How will they manage to "compete" with all the clubs with parachute payments, like what we cannot ever "compete" with (see OTIB 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, otib for as far back as the eye can see basically)?

If Coventry now sail past us and get back to the top before we do, we really might as well pack up and ......

With reference to your first sentence, have a look at how long they stayed in the top division, compared to us!

Archived