IGNORED

Taylor Set To Be Released

Selred

Matt Taylor is to be released at the end of the season. 

2 of the best moments in the past decade.

1. Deadline day rustling. 

2. In by Taylor.... 

Matty Taylor is a red, thanks for the memories and best of luck! 

I loved Matty Taylor, well I probably enjoyed the whole thing of how we signed him etc although he made some vital contributions too. He certainly was a popular member of the squad. 

To be honest though the best player the Gas had was never really good enough for us. I wish him well of course but we have upgraded from his time here.

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Will never be prolific at this level but can't fault his effort, commitment and nuisance/shithouse value. And that assist for Korey repaid the fee and then some.

Good luck to him, sure he'll get a good deal somewhere in L1.

Would expect him to sign for Oxford permanently who could be playing in the championship next season. He couldn’t could he 

Average player at this level at best. A relative bargain signed in hilarious circumstances. Paid for himself entirely with one pass.

Think he served us well with what he had to offer though. I've enjoyed watching him. Slippery player!

Might even turn out for Oxford in the Champ next season.

34 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Average player at this level at best. A relative bargain signed in hilarious circumstances. Paid for himself entirely with one pass.

Think he served us well with what he had to offer though. I've enjoyed watching him. Slippery player!

So a decent championship player then?

I’d love a 1-11 that should all be clearly playing at a higher level, but’s that’s rare. City under Cotterill he last time I pretty much thought everyone could play up a level.

It wasn`t just THAT pass in the cup run, he played a really important part in getting us to the point where we had the opportunity to beat Man Utd. He scored some important goals and made some important assists in that run to the semis.

All the best to him wherever he ends up and thanks for the memories.

We have paid more money for worse players than him & that pass alone was worth the fee but sadly he was not of Championship standard.

In the league he scored just 7 (1 of those a penalty) in 67 appearances, 23 of which were as starts.

His work rate was excellent, but his finishing wasn’t.

300k was well worth the gamble at the time. Especially given the hilarious circumstances surrounding his arrival.

Take away the Rovers connection though and he’s been average at best. Not quite up to Champs level but not for the want of trying.

All the best MT.

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Nothing wrong with being an average player at Championship level.  He cane to us as an unproven Lg1 goal scorer, having only had 1/2 a season at that level.  He left on loan to Oxford having proved that he could play at this level (albeit not top drawer), and carried on in Lg1 where he left off.  I often wonder what if he’d stayed fit and played more regularly.  A better footballer than I’d imagined who was more than goals for us.  Good luck Matty and thanks for the memories.  

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing wrong with being an average player at Championship level.  He cane to us as an unproven Lg1 goal scorer, having only had 1/2 a season at that level.  He left on loan to Oxford having proved that he could play at this level (albeit not top drawer), and carried on in Lg1 where he left off.  I often wonder what if he’d stayed fit and played more regularly.  A better footballer than I’d imagined who was more than goals for us.  Good luck Matty and thanks for the memories. 

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Average at best isn’t going to take you in the right direction though?

He’s 30 with only 7 goals in nearly 70 appearances so I’m not sure what else we could of expected to see? To be fair to him he has maximised his ability to play at champ level and hasn’t quite been good enough.

Good intelligent player, I just don't think we played to his strengths and a striker is never going to get their goalscoring touch back with 5 or 10 mins here and there. Shame to see him go but definitely no place for him in this squad especially if we take up our option on Afobe.

For 300k he was a bargain.

A bit of a 7-iron (useful club to have in your bag), but was never going to hit the sort of form he had in the lower leagues. 

Thrived of being busy and forcing mistakes from others in the past 20 minutes from the bench.

I think the gulf between divisions now is growing year on year and most (not all, granted) players who are likely to make the grade are scouted and signed up before before going the non league route.

Archived