IGNORED

Taylor Set To Be Released

Selred

2 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Average at best isn’t going to take you in the right direction though?

He’s 30 with only 7 goals in nearly 70 appearances so I’m not sure what else we could of expected to see? To be fair to him he has maximised his ability to play at champ level and hasn’t quite been good enough.

I’m not disagreeing, we need better, it was more a comment on someone saying he’s average (at Championship level), which for a guy who’d only ever played Lg1 (and not even that much in Lg1, spent majority in National League) and below before joining us, was pretty good.

To kick on, as you say, we need better.

I'm certain that he will sign for Oxford.  He was a good signing for us at the time, but he could never compete with the likes of Weimann, Wells, Afobe and Diedhiou.  Shame for him as he would hold his own in an average or lower Champ squad.  Probably has enough to help take Oxford to that level though.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not disagreeing, we need better, it was more a comment on someone saying he’s average (at Championship level), which for a guy who’d only ever played Lg1 (and not even that much in Lg1, spent majority in National League) and below before joining us, was pretty good.

To kick on, as you say, we need better.

Fair point Dave. He has forged himself a good career. 

I wish MT all the best. Certainly wasn’t for the want of trying. 

9 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

300k was well worth the gamble at the time. Especially given the hilarious circumstances surrounding his arrival.

Take away the Rovers connection though and he’s been average at best. Not quite up to Champs level but not for the want of trying.

All the best MT.

I would say take away the Rovers connection and he would have had more opportunities. When he signed , many of the fans thought it was a joke signing, to get one over on the Gas. Needed more playing time on a consistent basis , rather than being a bit part player. Like JET (and I’m not saying Matty had the talent of JET) needed a consistent run in the team , and gave a lift to the crowd when he came on, normally when we were struggling. Hope he gets an opportunity at Oxford , and thanks for the memories.

24 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I would say take away the Rovers connection and he would have had more opportunities. When he signed , many of the fans thought it was a joke signing, to get one over on the Gas. Needed more playing time on a consistent basis , rather than being a bit part player. Like JET (and I’m not saying Matty had the talent of JET) needed a consistent run in the team , and gave a lift to the crowd when he came on, normally when we were struggling. Hope he gets an opportunity at Oxford , and thanks for the memories.

Personally I think the Rovers connection helped him. LJ would often use him to lift the crowd and given his lack of output the crowd rarely, if ever got on his back.

I agree he may have benefitted from more playing time but he did make nearly 70 apps for us? I know not even half of those apps were starts but you can’t give players a run of games because they tried hard. They need to contribute. The Championship is an unforgiving league.

For me in his limited starts he was largely ineffective which is why he was used more as an impact sub.

If we were talking about any other striker leaving City with a goal return of 7 goals in 67 appearances we wouldn’t even be slightly disappointed they were heading out the door. Matty’s honest endeavour and Rovers connection has afforded him way more time with fans than he was actually worth.

I wish him all the best, who knows he may even be playing in the champ next season, but I’m not sorry to see him go.

The Man U pass will be forever remembered but I'm sure he supplied the cross v Brighton away for Josh to score the only goal. The result that made us safe, I think, and spoilt BHA's "champions" celebration. Haven't checked all this but if I'm right arguably his most important contribution. Way beyond the Man U pass.

Good luck Matty, forever red.

God loves a trier . He always busted a gut for us and was worth watching just to see him winding up players . He had a fair bit of pressure to score for us and I think anyone Red  was willing him to score but it just wasn’t to be . 

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing wrong with being an average player at Championship level.  He cane to us as an unproven Lg1 goal scorer, having only had 1/2 a season at that level.  He left on loan to Oxford having proved that he could play at this level (albeit not top drawer), and carried on in Lg1 where he left off.  I often wonder what if he’d stayed fit and played more regularly.  A better footballer than I’d imagined who was more than goals for us.  Good luck Matty and thanks for the memories.  

I agree, he's done well for himself and was never short of effort for us. As others have mentioned, his shitehousery was top draw as well.

I think it shows from the day he signed to the day he leaves, just how far the club has come. Like you say, nothing wrong with being average at this level, we've just moved up a notch in terms of recruitment and the overall quality of the squad.

His record wasn’t as bad as it looked.  He rarely played as the main striker, often appearing as a secondary striker / number 10.2BE0A322-9C5A-4BA3-A78D-0D6BF0D0F9DA.thumb.jpeg.852a5751d7db320fec399acfd093b6c6.jpeg

His 3036 minutes translate to 34 games.  8 goals and 13 assists is pretty good for the position he played.

He did a decent job but not enough to justify a contract extension.

I think the problem he had was that he wasn't quite good enough to force his way into the first eleven and he wasn't a natural impact player to bring off the bench and change a game.

But he was a decent support striker, worked hard and never let us down. I wish him well with where he goes next. 

I think the main problem is most at the club looked to him for goals and rated him on that. I thought he actually played better sitting deeper as a playmaker, he was great in build-up play and I think better suited there than as a poacher playing off the last man.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

His record wasn’t as bad as it looked.  He rarely played as the main striker, often appearing as a secondary striker / number 10.2BE0A322-9C5A-4BA3-A78D-0D6BF0D0F9DA.thumb.jpeg.852a5751d7db320fec399acfd093b6c6.jpeg

His 3036 minutes translate to 34 games.  8 goals and 13 assists is pretty good for the position he played.

Decent for a 300k punt for sure. Definitely a player for the big games as well, those 8+13 were often in important situations (one assist particularly comes to mind).

I think releasing him at this time is probably the correct decision, but wish him all the best and hope he scores a hattrick next time he plays the gas assuming he ends up at Oxford. 

I can't believe this post is at 2 pages and no-one has used the word shithousery!

Yeah, yeah, that pass which had the best outcome but was also actually very skilled, will be remembered for ever.

But, I recall him as the master of shithousery who had gone to the local shithousery bar and ordered an extra large shithousery cider.

I wish him well except against us because, I might not have mentioned it, but he will be full of sh....

1 minute ago, Chivs said:

I can't believe this post is at 2 pages and no-one has used the word shithousery!

Yeah, yeah, that pass which had the best outcome but was also actually very skilled, will be remembered for ever.

But, I recall him as the master of shithousery who had gone to the local shithousery bar and ordered an extra large shithousery cider.

I wish him well except against us because, I might not have mentioned it, but he will be full of sh....

Post 7 and post 45.

7 hours ago, Chivs said:

One of my favourite memories was hanging on very late on v WBA 3-2. He gets the ball, has a look that says ‘I could get a 4th here’, and you could see his brain switch to ‘nah, let’s waste a minute in the corner ‘.

28 minutes ago, cityexile said:

One of my favourite memories was hanging on very late on v WBA 3-2. He gets the ball, has a look that says ‘I could get a 4th here’, and you could see his brain switch to ‘nah, let’s waste a minute in the corner ‘.

I was just going to mention that - seeing a game out at it`s absolute best!

Archived