Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Taylor Set To Be Released

I remember sitting in a pub pre-game the evening he signed and just saw twitter etc explode with the news, helped pass the time while waiting for someone

I loved Matty Taylor, well I probably enjoyed the whole thing of how we signed him etc although he made some vital contributions too. He certainly was a popular member of the squad. 

To be honest though the best player the Gas had was never really good enough for us. I wish him well of course but we have upgraded from his time here.

• Like 5

Seeing the belters lose their tiny minds when he signed for us was nearly as good as them get relegated out of the football league :rofl2br:

I actually rated him . He was a clever player who IMO should of played more games for us . Wish him all the best . 

• Like 4

Will never be prolific at this level but can't fault his effort, commitment and nuisance/shithouse value. And that assist for Korey repaid the fee and then some.

Good luck to him, sure he'll get a good deal somewhere in L1.

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Will never be prolific at this level but can't fault his effort, commitment and nuisance/shithouse value. And that assist for Korey repaid the fee and then some.

Good luck to him, sure he'll get a good deal somewhere in L1.

Would expect him to sign for Oxford permanently who could be playing in the championship next season. He couldn’t could he 

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 1

Average player at this level at best. A relative bargain signed in hilarious circumstances. Paid for himself entirely with one pass.

Think he served us well with what he had to offer though. I've enjoyed watching him. Slippery player!

Might even turn out for Oxford in the Champ next season.

• Like 4

Taylor in the side in front of Tomlin saved us from relegation imo.

He was fantastic for that short spell of games that helped keep us up. But also since then he has won us a number of games off the bench. As well as helping us hold onto leads with his chasing, aggression and cleverness up front on his own.

He was fantastic in some of those cup games too. The games against Palace and Stoke who were both prem sides at the time he was class.

I liked the look of him and Weimann as a partnership. I think they worked well together and maybe should have seen more of that last season.

300k was an absolute bargain. For me he is a championship quality player for mid to lower championship sides.

Apparently the scouts were telling LJ not to sign him, but he did anyway. Got to give LJ credit for that one.

I assume he is signing for Oxford, his hometown club. Good luck to him. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate people saying he wasn’t good enough for the championship, yet I never watched him and thought he looked out of place.

Is it simply that he didn’t score enough goals?

34 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Average player at this level at best. A relative bargain signed in hilarious circumstances. Paid for himself entirely with one pass.

Think he served us well with what he had to offer though. I've enjoyed watching him. Slippery player!

So a decent championship player then?

I’d love a 1-11 that should all be clearly playing at a higher level, but’s that’s rare. City under Cotterill he last time I pretty much thought everyone could play up a level.

Edited by 054123

It wasn`t just THAT pass in the cup run, he played a really important part in getting us to the point where we had the opportunity to beat Man Utd. He scored some important goals and made some important assists in that run to the semis.

All the best to him wherever he ends up and thanks for the memories.

• Like 3

We have paid more money for worse players than him & that pass alone was worth the fee but sadly he was not of Championship standard.

In the league he scored just 7 (1 of those a penalty) in 67 appearances, 23 of which were as starts.

His work rate was excellent, but his finishing wasn’t.

300k was well worth the gamble at the time. Especially given the hilarious circumstances surrounding his arrival.

Take away the Rovers connection though and he’s been average at best. Not quite up to Champs level but not for the want of trying.

All the best MT.

• Like 1

Shows how clueless Rovers fans are telling us we were getting a finisher and nothing else. He was everything but a finisher. 

If we are moving on from having the likes of Matty as a squad player then we've gone far.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Nothing wrong with being an average player at Championship level.  He cane to us as an unproven Lg1 goal scorer, having only had 1/2 a season at that level.  He left on loan to Oxford having proved that he could play at this level (albeit not top drawer), and carried on in Lg1 where he left off.  I often wonder what if he’d stayed fit and played more regularly.  A better footballer than I’d imagined who was more than goals for us.  Good luck Matty and thanks for the memories.  

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing wrong with being an average player at Championship level.  He cane to us as an unproven Lg1 goal scorer, having only had 1/2 a season at that level.  He left on loan to Oxford having proved that he could play at this level (albeit not top drawer), and carried on in Lg1 where he left off.  I often wonder what if he’d stayed fit and played more regularly.  A better footballer than I’d imagined who was more than goals for us.  Good luck Matty and thanks for the memories. 

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Average at best isn’t going to take you in the right direction though?

He’s 30 with only 7 goals in nearly 70 appearances so I’m not sure what else we could of expected to see? To be fair to him he has maximised his ability to play at champ level and hasn’t quite been good enough.

• Like 1

Good intelligent player, I just don't think we played to his strengths and a striker is never going to get their goalscoring touch back with 5 or 10 mins here and there. Shame to see him go but definitely no place for him in this squad especially if we take up our option on Afobe.

• Like 2