IGNORED

Liam Walsh New Contract Extension

Lenners

17 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Nope, it's a further extension beyond 2021.

What’s your source....most I’ve read has mentioned club exercising it’s option.

This will be to cover clubs swooping for him with deal expiring on 30.06.

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How do they know we will be in the Championship next season ? 

"Cause we are well clear of the relegation zone! :) 

Does this spell the end for Korey who is out of contract in the summer? We've got a lot of midfielders at the club and we're going to struggle to accommodate them all, particularly with Morrell coming back and Bakinson hoping to break through in the next two years. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What’s your source....most I’ve read has mentioned club exercising it’s option.

This will be to cover clubs swooping for him with deal expiring on 30.06.

As if I’d just post that on here.

Wait and see.

7 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

As if I’d just post that on here.

Wait and see.

While I wouldn't be surprised we'd be looking to give him a new contract and don't doubt they are, to be fair to fevs you posted 'Reported by a Guardian journo, quoted by Gregor.' in your opening post, the quoted tweet from the guardian journo doesn't indicate its a new deal just his contract extended as per the year option in his deal.

I would be very happily surprised if he would extend beyond a year, but why would he? In three seasons he has started barely any games and made a dozen sub appearances. I suspect like Palmer, Adelakun and Smodzic he is baffled as to why the club brought him in and not going to rush to commit to signing another deal.

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Is Walsh or any of our other league 1/2 loanees available to play for us now their seasons have ended, with the exception of the playoffs.

No, apparently they're contracted to us but not registered to play for us this season.

I suspect it is just the year extension.

If LJ sees him in the 1st team this season then he needs to extend him. He was probably Cov's Y/POTY this season.

If he is in LJ's plans and did well next season we'd be left getting compensation only (think he falls under that rule).

56 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I suspect it is just the year extension.

me too, although happy for @JollyestOli to be right.  Would imagine with our division unclear, previous comments from LJ, I’d be surprised if Walsh’s longer term contract was more of a priority that players like Fam, Nic, etc.  But I’m only guessing.

If LJ sees him in the 1st team this season then he needs to extend him. He was probably Cov's Y/POTY this season.

If he is in LJ's plans and did well next season we'd be left getting compensation only (think he falls under that rule).

Yes, he’s still 23 next summer, so u24 and we would be eligible for compensation (think I may have stated he was 24 earlier, but I can’t add up properly) ???

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I see the extension/new contract but the Post is reporting Walsh will NOT be competing for a place here as Coventry are done. This seems very strange or is there some rule he can’t? 

Any player who had been out on loan for the season cannot play in Citys remaining games this season .

On 10/06/2020 at 21:28, JonDolman said:

I really hope he signs a new deal. I think he could be fantastic for us next season.

Absolutely. With the widely anticipated slump in the transfer market with clubs not willing to pay stupid money good players we already own are going to be worth their weight in gold IMO. I`d like to see Jonny Smith as part of our plans too.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Maybe we already have Eliasson's replacement in Smith? Only seen highlights of him but he looks a very exciting talent.

Watching the goals/highlights reel that @Garycpos posted I commented that some of his goals reminded me of Scott Murray at his best - powerful and pacey runs with a neat finish at the end.

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Watching the goals/highlights reel that @Garycpos posted I commented that some of his goals reminded me of Scott Murray at his best - powerful and pacey runs with a neat finish at the end.

My concern with Smith is perhaps the club has been progressing as he has. When he joined in 2016 we were a side who had just avoided relegation, now we're a genuine playoff contender, and while I dont believe we will be, we could still be a Premier League side next season.

He's 23 next month, and while he still has plenty of time to improve, he's currently on loan at a League 2 side (not dismissing him purely on that, and he's done a good job at Oldham, but I don't believe he's got on the pitch for us yet)

I'm certainly not writing him off completely, and wouldnt even be surprised if he had a career at Championship level in the future, whether it is with us though, I'm less sure.

His wiki page suggests his contract is up this year as well. @Garycpos might be able to clarify on that.

I wouldnt be against Smith being offered another year or two, but if he wasnt in the first team squad by the end of that it would be time to say it hadnt worked out here, and let him move on.

As I was just writing elsewhere, I think it would be smart to keep Walsh at Coventy for half a season to allow him to clock up plenty of minutes in the Championship. I would meanwhile hope we can tie him to a longer contract so that we benefit from his development. 

Archived