IGNORED

Can returning Loan Players Play in the final 9 games?

kiwicolin

Both have to be in our squad next season or sold?

Joe has clearly impressed at Lincoln this season and had this been a normal year would be playing for Wales at the euros this summer. 

Liam has received fantastic reviews at Coventry, scored some impressive goals and played for a team that has won the league *

Just now, Oh Louie louie said:

Seems a crazy rule, all teams will need as many players as possible.

You would think they would allow it seeing how many games there are.

See my answer above, so we give back Afobe etc?

I think the next question is, can Liam and Joe play for us next season? You would expect they will both be in the squad and with Nagy, Massengo and Smith we have a lot of centre midfielders, arguably some too similar in build and style.

Can Smith sign a new contract as a right back option to make space for Morrell and Walsh? Or do we let Korey go despite being our leader and Johnson's tactical conduit?

So many questions!

3 minutes ago, Charlie0016 said:

What se we should give afobe back to stoke then ?

It's different isn't it? The L1 season has been curtailed. Had it not been Liam and Joe would have continued to play for Coventry and Lincoln as part of their season long loan. The Championship is to continue so Benik is available to us as part of his season long loan. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I think the loan players have been training with their loan clubs, just like our players we have on loan are here.

Yes, LJ said he wouldn’t bring them back into training with us (if their season ended), for extra risk of transmission of covid.  He could change that now their season’s are officially over, but I think he’ll continue his stance.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

Both are real talents and should be on long contracts These are the future for our club. 

Walsh - club have just exercised their option for an extra year, so Walsh will expire next summer.  If he becomes a free agent next summer, we won’t be entitled to development compensation.  So next season will be play or be sold imho.

Here’s the contract situation of all our loanees....I haven’t updated Walsh per the comments above.

F3153BB0-F8F5-4B1F-8793-E32F6939ED19.thumb.jpeg.ad4dd92e34f2e24768a276bb474c104d.jpeg

56 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Possibly because it's not allowed under the EFL rules?

EFL Rule 43.2

46 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Given the exceptional situation, rules could be temporarily changed.

They’ve already changed the rules to allow short-term extensions from 30.06 to “end of season” where mutually agreed by both clubs / player.

57 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Given the exceptional situation, rules could be temporarily changed.

Trying to keep the season as close to how it should be as possible, if clubs need an extra body then they should go to their academy for a player who would have been able to play in the final games as they were, increased bench size and 5 subs are designed for rotation so players aren’t burnt out.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think the next question is, can Liam and Joe play for us next season? You would expect they will both be in the squad and with Nagy, Massengo and Smith we have a lot of centre midfielders, arguably some too similar in build and style.

Can Smith sign a new contract as a right back option to make space for Morrell and Walsh? Or do we let Korey go despite being our leader and Johnson's tactical conduit?

So many questions!

Korey should certainly get a new contract as centre midfield player I would rather let Nagy and Massengo leave of the five they are the weakest Walsh in particular should have been here playing every game this season he has the creativity on the ball City have greatly lacked. As for Nagy and Massengo I have seen nothing as yet to suggest they are better than what was already available in the squad some of the recruitment this season has been very poor.

19 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Korey should certainly get a new contract as centre midfield player I would rather let Nagy and Massengo leave of the five they are the weakest Walsh in particular should have been here playing every game this season he has the creativity on the ball City have greatly lacked. As for Nagy and Massengo I have seen nothing as yet to suggest they are better than what was already available in the squad some of the recruitment this season has been very poor.

Interesting view.

Korey is 29 so this could be his last long term contract. He brings a lot to the team as I said but he won't have any resale value (should we care?).

Nagy is 25 in one week and we have to say that his injury stopped us seeing what he's about.

Massengo is 19 next month and playing his first full season. LJ has praised him a lot and they will see him as having a big resale value if he kicks on.

36 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Hell freezes over before you let Massengo leave ahead of Smith. I like Smith but he has limited resale value. 

42 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Until we’ve seen Walsh against Championship midfielders, all we’ve really got to go on is 45 minutes v Stoke.  Trying to get on the ball, or trying to ping passes up against the likes Ben Pearson, Kalvin Phillips, Jake Livermore, Ben Watson etc is a very different proposition.  The intelligence levels of our opponents is significantly higher.  Plus in what system, and with what players do you play him with?

Dont get me wrong, he has looked v.good for Cov, he looks leaner too.

This season, v QPR his work without the ball was criticised.

I’ve admitted, he’s my blind spot, he is the player who think will fall short here....hope he proves me wrong.

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

Interesting view.

Korey is 29 so this could be his last long term contract. He brings a lot to the team as I said but he won't have any resale value (should we care?).

Nagy is 25 in one week and we have to say that his injury stopped us seeing what he's about.

Massengo is 19 next month and playing his first full season. LJ has praised him a lot and they will see him as having a big resale value if he kicks on.

Korey signed this deal in summer 2016, a 3 year deal, extended in winter 2018 when injured on same terms to give him piece of mind and not rush his recovery.  Of course he then got injured again v Reading.  I would imagine he’s on a lot less than many of the recent signings purely because of how long ago his deal was signed.

In the current covid-world, I woukd imagine he’d take another year on similar terms, might even get 2 years.  Far cheaper than signing a new player, especially when you look at how well he was playing in his last 6-8 games.

Of course, all of the above might be irrelevant if LJ is gonna throw the mantle over to Walsh and / or Morrell and Korey is surplus to requirements.  Korey still has a lot to give.

Archived