IGNORED

Can returning Loan Players Play in the final 9 games?

kiwicolin

Just now, Oh Louie louie said:

He did play well in the cup, at qpr.

Gave a pen away, but scored a blinder.

He certainly puts the mileage in.

Should have got another chance after that game tbf.

LJ said he played well with the ball and ill-disciplined without it.

1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

Korey should certainly get a new contract as centre midfield player I would rather let Nagy and Massengo leave of the five they are the weakest Walsh in particular should have been here playing every game this season he has the creativity on the ball City have greatly lacked. As for Nagy and Massengo I have seen nothing as yet to suggest they are better than what was already available in the squad some of the recruitment this season has been very poor.

They are both top players .

Nagy has had injuries to add to his difficulty on his debut season in English football but we have seen glimpses of what he can do. 

Massengo , reads the game  really well , is neat and tidy , is always available for the out ball and despite his size is a battler. He is only 12 and playing men’s football in his debut season in the English second tier . 

Smith is a tough one for me ; he is undoubtedly quality , very experienced and a City stalwart but  can he stay injury free for a full season ?  Does he offer value for money or could the budget be better spent ? 

My feeling is let him go , same as with Pack and Flint , he is not going to improve and could get the chance of a big payday with a new club . He is blocking the  path of Morrell . 

As for Walsh , the potential is there for all to see and I would definitely have him in the squad .

46 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

He didnt really get a chance, like a lot of others.

Fact is he has scored more goals and id wager made more tackles in 1 game than massengo has all season.

Hes been in passenger in many games but gets chance after chance.

I think they make allowances for his age, but that can only go on for so long. I would agree he was a bit hit and miss last season but watching him and seeing flashes of real talent you can understand why the club have taken a gamble, let's hope he kicks on next season, how long they give him before LJ loses faith in him (if he doesn't perform)I don't know.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

They are both top players .

Nagy has had injuries to add to his difficulty on his debut season in English football but we have seen glimpses of what he can do. 

Massengo , reads the game  really well , is neat and tidy , is always available for the out ball and despite his size is a battler. He is only 12 and playing men’s football in his debut season in the English second tier . 

Smith is a tough one for me ; he is undoubtedly quality , very experienced and a City stalwart but  can he stay injury free for a full season ?  Does he offer value for money or could the budget be better spent ? 

My feeling is let him go , same as with Pack and Flint , he is not going to improve and could get the chance of a big payday with a new club . He is blocking the  path of Morrell . 

As for Walsh , the potential is there for all to see and I would definitely have him in the squad .

Have you seen him post lockdown?  Massengo looks like he's been in the gym for the entire lockdown period.  Muscles like me now.... ?

I really like him as a footballer.  Not least, because, as a 12-year old, he came to a foreign country and showed great initiative.  I believe he may become one of the best footballers to play for City.

1 hour ago, ORANGE500 said:

Korey should certainly get a new contract as centre midfield player I would rather let Nagy and Massengo leave of the five they are the weakest Walsh in particular should have been here playing every game this season he has the creativity on the ball City have greatly lacked. As for Nagy and Massengo I have seen nothing as yet to suggest they are better than what was already available in the squad some of the recruitment this season has been very poor.

Why? We have adequate cover, no guarantee of future income, and a risk that ST refunds will be required. It would be sad to see Korey leave, but financial reality is required.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Until we’ve seen Walsh against Championship midfielders, all we’ve really got to go on is 45 minutes v Stoke.  Trying to get on the ball, or trying to ping passes up against the likes Ben Pearson, Kalvin Phillips, Jake Livermore, Ben Watson etc is a very different proposition.  The intelligence levels of our opponents is significantly higher.  Plus in what system, and with what players do you play him with?

Dont get me wrong, he has looked v.good for Cov, he looks leaner too.

This season, v QPR his work without the ball was criticised.

I’ve admitted, he’s my blind spot, he is the player who think will fall short here....hope he proves me wrong.

Korey signed this deal in summer 2016, a 3 year deal, extended in winter 2018 when injured on same terms to give him piece of mind and not rush his recovery.  Of course he then got injured again v Reading.  I would imagine he’s on a lot less than many of the recent signings purely because of how long ago his deal was signed.

In the current covid-world, I woukd imagine he’d take another year on similar terms, might even get 2 years.  Far cheaper than signing a new player, especially when you look at how well he was playing in his last 6-8 games.

Of course, all of the above might be irrelevant if LJ is gonna throw the mantle over to Walsh and / or Morrell and Korey is surplus to requirements.  Korey still has a lot to give.

Can a 29/30 year old accept any less than a 2 year deal. 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Depends what he might get elsewhere.  Nobody has come in and offered him anything that made him want to sign for someone on 1st July.

Yeah, here's a random suggestion... When Walsh returns, Coventry are a midfielder down. So they sign Smith on a three year deal. They get a proven Championship campaigner. He gets a deal to take him to 32 years of age. We get Walsh back.

The other idea is to keep Walsh at Cov for another season and watch his continued development. 

41 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Coventry had the lowest Goals Conceded in the league so Walsh cant have been too bad out of possession.

My only concern is our 5 CMs are very similar, almost LJ like. Small, lack stature, good on the ball without having that defence splitting pass. 

It’s a different division, that’s the point I’m trying to make.  He may well have improved that aspect during his loan.

All I’m saying is that we need to reserve judgment until we’ve see 6,8,10 games.  Cutting it in Lg1 is no guarantee of success in the Championship.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

EFL Rule 43.2

They’ve already changed the rules to allow short-term extensions from 30.06 to “end of season” where mutually agreed by both clubs / player.

This is with Play-offs in mind, no doubt, but arguably this is the rule that would need changing.

55.1.4 A Player whose Standard Loan expires (or terminates) at the end of the Season of the Transferee Club but prior to the completion of the League Matches of his Transferor Club (where it is a Member Club) will not be eligible to play in any remaining League Matches for the Transferor Club in that Season;

5 hours ago, cheese said:

Thanks.

Well, that was a short and sweet thread.  :(

Don't worry I think I have beaten that with no response and a very quick death down the pages suggest you try harder ?

remember a great quote " if at first you don't succeed "

"give up." Homer

Simpson

no idea what year.

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived