IGNORED

Arsenal 2-3 Brentford

Silvio Dante

I’ve not seen many results from the behind closed doors friendlies, but Arsenal have been stating theirs - having thumped Charlton 6-0 at the Emirates on Saturday, today they lost 3-2 to Brentford.

Usual caveat of it proves nothing, but IIRC the Prem clubs were one week ahead of our level in their return to training, so on a pure sharpness approach, and considering Arsenal start in seven days, that looks a pretty impressive result by Brentford.

None of us know if the season will be curtailed again and we’ll have to revert to ppg, so I hope we’re in the same place of being set up to hit the ground running

Brentford FC is an absolute breath of fresh air in the modern football world - they’ve played glorious football for some time now whilst spotting, developing and selling real talent for mega profits. They are competing at the top end of the second tier regularly with a tight-knit, loyal following and all this while being a mile or two from three current and ex premier league teams - Chelsea, QPR and Fulham ... I wish them nothing but success 

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Brentford FC is an absolute breath of fresh air in the modern football world - they’ve played glorious football for some time now whilst spotting, developing and selling real talent for mega profits. They are competing at the top end of the second tier regularly with a tight-knit, loyal following and all this while being a mile or two from three current and ex premier league teams - Chelsea, QPR and Fulham ... I wish them nothing but success 

We say that but their approach to youth development is a little bit suspect IMO.

They abandoned their Cat 2 (I think) academy and reduced it to Cat 4, after the EPPP rules came in, and then turned it in to a glorified Reserves team. I'm not entirely comfortable with the message that seems to send out to the players of the rest of their academy sides.

They are a very interesting case study mind, and I hope they go up as they do play some wonderful stuff.

11 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

We say that but their approach to youth development is a little bit suspect IMO.

They abandoned their Cat 2 (I think) academy and reduced it to Cat 4, after the EPPP rules came in, and then turned it in to a glorified Reserves team. I'm not entirely comfortable with the message that seems to send out to the players of the rest of their academy sides.

They are a very interesting case study mind, and I hope they go up as they do play some wonderful stuff.

I'm assuming you mean hope they go up if we don't make the playoffs, which is certainly not out of the question.

25 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

They don't have a category, they withdrew from EPPP and the games programme, they only have their reserve side for players 17-21, no other academy teams. They focus on that as a high standard and they play a mixture of category 1 teams in friendlies or big foreign academies so they essentially play a seasons worth of games just not in a league, hard to argue against some of their results. Also Frank has stepped up from working in their academy to first team head coach as another benefit.

40 minutes ago, phantom said:

Any idea on the line ups? 

Arse's first half: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, Pablo Mari, Tierney; Willock, Ceballos, Saka; Pepe, Nketiah, Aubameyang

Second half: Leno; Bellerin, Mustafi, David Luiz, Tierney; Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Ozil; Aubameyang, Lacazette, Saka

• Admin

Just saw some footage of the game, oddly the touchlines were marked on the edge of the penalty area.

Does anyone know anymore about this?

It seems odd that everything is about social distancing yet they made the pitch smaller

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just saw some footage of the game, oddly the touchlines were marked on the edge of the penalty area.

Does anyone know anymore about this?

It seems odd that everything is about social distancing yet they made the pitch smaller

Touchlines were in the normal position, just some extra lines going the length of the pitch for some odd reason. 

arse.png

1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

Touchlines were in the normal position, just some extra lines going the length of the pitch for some odd reason. 

arse.png

I think they had some training sessions at the emirates, so probably was something to do with that. They'll probably have gone by Wednesday.

1 hour ago, bcfcshorey said:

I think they had some training sessions at the emirates, so probably was something to do with that. They'll probably have gone by Wednesday.

Was my guess seeing it, if you see training pitches they often have markings all over them 

• Admin
3 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

arse.png

Cheers 

I only saw footage of arsenal mistakes today. Looked like they were using narrower lines 

Archived