IGNORED

Southampton 3-2 Bristol City

Davefevs

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think Bentley had a decision to make on the first one.

The forward seemed to have the pace vs Peirerra(?), so it was face a 1 on 1, or go early and try to clear the ball first.

Obviously by coming out we ended up conceding, but can understand why he made the decision he did.

Coming was the right decision but then you leather it up field not bleeding pussyfoot about and slide it sideways 

11 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If we gave Southampton a decent game, over 135 minutes, then that's not bad.

They're a week ahead in returning to training, and a division above.

Would have been concerned if.we got hammered.

Agreed. Not sure if posted elsewhere but I heard our next opponents Blackburn lost 6-0 to Liverpool in their warm up....

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We are in the Maenpaa club aren’t we?

No need to slide out on first goal.

Oh it’s good to be back, picking fault in things ?

If you know, you know ?.

Not only the errors that lead to 2 goals, but his distribution that leads to his save from the chip was ropey, too.

Maenpaa is much more your percentages goalkeeper for me, he saves ones he is expected to & uses the ball sensibly.

Would be my pick.

Just to mess with our heads, you get good finishes from Elliasson and O'Dowda, plus some neat play from Palmer... what the hell do we do with them all!

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So many different players played there. Could not see Wells so not sure if he is injured.

Defending on all 3 goals very bad. And looked wide open at times with other chances they had.

Was Weimann in there?

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So many different players played there. Could not see Wells so not sure if he is injured.

Defending on all 3 goals very bad. And looked wide open at times with other chances they had.

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just to mess with our heads, you get good finishes from Elliasson and O'Dowda, plus some neat play from Palmer... what the hell do we do with them all!

Was Weimann in there?

Didn’t see Wells or Weimann.

Vyner looked like he played DM from the couple of clips he was shown in.

Pretty sue I saw a photo with Benkovic in it....but he’s the only other player I didn’t see other than the two goalies.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Also in the highlights another piece of poor distribution from Bentley, throwing it straight down the middle and intercepted. He made a good recovery save, but I prefer solid rather than flashy.

The Maenpaa club is growing!!,

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I have always preferred Maenpaa but I was happy to be quiet about that when Bentley had some great games this season!

But he certainly has some very bad mistakes in him. We did sign a goalkeeper who lost his place at Brentford because of his mistakes.

Maenpaa is more reliable and much better on crosses as well as more sensible with his distribution. And its not like Maenpaa does not make great saves too. A number of games last season he would make some brilliant saves that helped us get the 3 points.

I really like Bentley because he has a winners attitude and all the tools to be a top keeper. My concern is that he has a touch of the Joe Hart about him, ie good in every way, except a mental issue, perhaps concentration, or maybe decision making. When he was playing well in the early part of last season, I thought he looked Premier League level.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

If you know, you know ?.

Not only the errors that lead to 2 goals, but his distribution that leads to his save from the chip was ropey, too.

Maenpaa is much more your percentages goalkeeper for me, he saves ones he is expected to & uses the ball sensibly.

Would be my pick.

I think what we may have here is the age old example of a player signed for a good fee by the manager who then puts him in regardless of form. 

Picking a free transfer in his place would question LJ spending big money on Bentley. I'd like to see NM in goal too if you hadn't guessed already. 

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

I really like Bentley because he has a winners attitude and all the tools to be a top keeper. My concern is that he has a touch of the Joe Hart about him, ie good in every way, except a mental issue, perhaps concentration, or maybe decision making. When he was playing well in the early part of last season, I thought he looked Premier League level.

Rush of blood to the head and maybe trying to hard to be the stand out player in the game. Maenpaa is much calmer and just does what's expected of him. I've said he reminds me of Pickford 

If we can get a couple of million for him I'd sell him, Maenpaa no 1 and Max maybe next season with another older experience one coming in 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t see Wells or Weimann.

Vyner looked like he played DM from the couple of clips he was shown in.

Pretty sue I saw a photo with Benkovic in it....but he’s the only other player I didn’t see other than the two goalies.

Benkovic definitely in one of the match photos.

51 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I have always preferred Maenpaa but I was happy to be quiet about that when Bentley had some great games this season!

But he certainly has some very bad mistakes in him. We did sign a goalkeeper who lost his place at Brentford because of his mistakes.

Maenpaa is more reliable and much better on crosses as well as more sensible with his distribution. And its not like Maenpaa does not make great saves too. A number of games last season he would make some brilliant saves that helped us get the 3 points.

Agree.

Am I just putting 2 and 2 together when suggesting Bentley’s firm dipped when LJ started talking up “England call-ups”?

I like Bentley, but would pick Maenpaa.

31 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Rush of blood to the head and maybe trying to hard to be the stand out player in the game. Maenpaa is much calmer and just does what's expected of him. I've said he reminds me of Pickford 

If we can get a couple of million for him I'd sell him, Maenpaa no 1 and Max maybe next season with another older experience one coming in 

As a goalkeeper a cool head is as important as height or reach. 

It was strange to see such bad kicking from him.

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep I remember that. LJ does go a bit over the top at times.

Not really in this case, he said if he put those performances in playing for a prem side he'd be in the reckoning because of the lack of English keepers in the division, hardly untrue

1 minute ago, mozo said:

As a goalkeeper a cool head is as important as height or reach. 

It was strange to see such bad kicking from him.

Yeah his kicking is usually good bar a couple of times last season. Main problem is rushing out, not pushing shots away from the danger area and maybe handling crosses. Remember a few times he dropped the ball in games but some think it's resulted in any goals 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought he also said he isn't far away from being in the England squad at that time, which at the time I thought he was still behind quite a number of other goalies.

Think he was still referring to how few English keepers there were, the same way Henderson was getting some comments last season for his performances.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Other than his first season where he caught the eye, and perhaps the following season, Hart was always drastically overrated. 

He would make at least 5 big mistakes a season.

3 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Didn’t see Wiemann or Wells - would be a blow not to have them in the team next Sat ??

Perhaps we wanted to give Fam/Benik as much game time as possible? If we have another midweek could see Wells and Weimann share the time.

Archived