IGNORED

Awayday you wont forget

Oh Louie louie

Two games stand out for me. Chester during Joe's leadership. We walked into town and the bouncers on the pubs were nervy "We've heard there's a lot of you coming today" one said, No idea I replied and walked into a pub..... as a window smashed just up the road. "Ive think we've just arrived" I said,.... and looked back toward the bouncers. 

Secondly.... Alder bloody Shot.... there's enough written about that God forsaken place on this forum. Nowadays (Coronavirus apart) I have to visit fortnight;y. Its still a shocker of a place

Wrexham away, first game of the season 1999 maybe. Great ride up on the rattler, plenty of fizz and comrade - we changed at Newport I think and emptied a local Tesco of Somerset champagne. Went left out of the station and into a pub full of city. My mate at the bar getting them in for us was pot-shooter by some Wrexham Kamikaze and it went a bit mental. He came out the melee with 4, nearly full pints, whilst a few of our more eager lads chased these chancers down the road. Great atmosphere, think we won 2-0 and got home safe and I ended up pulling an absolute rotter in a bar on Whiteladies. So began my away day obsession. 

Junior bent, now we are talking a legend.

When he come on in the cup at rovers, about 98 scored the winner.

Leicester away cup, just watch the highlights to see juniors work rate.

What i liked about him, was that he was prepared to fight for his place, and never complain.

That game at wrexham, first day of season, think that may have been wilsons first game?

We had that midfielder from blackburn david something on loan, looked a good player.

Going home on the train from wrexham that day was something else!

Had a good following that day.

10 hours ago, normanhillred said:

Our minibus got trashed that night, 160 miles home with no windows and it was bloody freezing! One of their lads went down for 5 years for it.

We managed to cardboard ours up :laugh:! We spent 2 hours in Stockport police station all for nothing they weren’t interested 

10 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Two games stand out for me. Chester during Joe's leadership. We walked into town and the bouncers on the pubs were nervy "We've heard there's a lot of you coming today" one said, No idea I replied and walked into a pub..... as a window smashed just up the road. "Ive think we've just arrived" I said,.... and looked back toward the bouncers. 

Secondly.... Alder bloody Shot.... there's enough written about that God forsaken place on this forum. Nowadays (Coronavirus apart) I have to visit fortnight;y. Its still a shocker of a place

Aldershot wa odd walking through the park to get in the away end whIch resembled a barn ?

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Aldershot wa odd walking through the park to get in the away end whIch resembled a barn ?

One stormy night the whole stand went live due to swinging electrical cables and they had to move us into the side stand. There were loose cables hitting the stanchions and throwing off sparks like an arc welder! Could have been an LDV game or possibly one of the interminable cup replays we had with them.

19 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

One stormy night the whole stand went live due to swinging electrical cables and they had to move us into the side stand. There were loose cables hitting the stanchions and throwing off sparks like an arc welder! Could have been an LDV game or possibly one of the interminable cup replays we had with them.

Wow scary stuff and  wouldn't be allowed now and the game would have to be abandoned. Was that the side stand next to the railway line if so that was another little gem! Late 70's we played there in an FA Cup match and they had over 10000 in the ground where now seems unbelievable 

21 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite enjoyed Millwall away at the back end of last season. Mainly as first away game I took my mate too - he very much enjoyed himself too!

Tuesday night, got very drunk indeed IIRC. Sure there was chanting on the train etc. Sure some in the last pub pre the train too.

We nearly got our marching orders at halftime, think the stewards didn't much care for his drinking alcohol in view of the pitch!I :whistle2:

I of course didn't notice him drinking alcohol, or maybe 'didn't notice'. Not sure he even tried to hide it much?

Fact Millwall doesn't have allocated away seats means that shifting up the back and standing is good- definitely chanting on train back, from Millwall to London. May even have some footage.

Game itself wasn't bad either! Goal down and not playing so well, knowing was a must win to keep playoff hopes alive for one more game.

Was it O'Leary who saved a pen? We turned it round, and Paterson was excellent. Diedhiou's goal was excellent- enjoyed it an think it was our first win at Millwall in quite some while.

Was a good game that one.

Was O'Leary in goal, think he conceded the penalty, at which point I thought our playoff chances were completely done.

Then he saves it and 10-15 minutes later we are winning.

Made me laugh the group of Millwall fans who ran on the pitch and tried to get to our fans after the game, despite the fact we were in the upper tier.

Kept our.chances alive for the final game

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Was a good game that one.

Was O'Leary in goal, think he conceded the penalty, at which point I thought our playoff chances were completely done.

Then he saves it and 10-15 minutes later we are winning.

Made me laugh the group of Millwall fans who ran on the pitch and tried to get to our fans after the game, despite the fact we were in the upper tier.

Kept our.chances alive for the final game

Yeah that  sounds right,fairly sure was O'Leary. He conceded the pen then saved it. Zero to hero! From no hope to fresh hope, in one moment.

Some idiot in an orange coat, especially sticks in the mind. Lot of posturing and ground certainly wasn't full. From there to up there? Ain't happening!

It did.

Day itself left an impression on my mate, that he now often asks when Millwall away is and subject to work etc, he's often quite keen.

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah that  sounds right,fairly sure was O'Leary. He conceded the pen then saved it. Zero to hero! From no hope to fresh hope, in one moment.

Some idiot in an orange coat, especially sticks in the mind. Lot of posturing and ground certainly wasn't full. From there to up there? Ain't happening!

It did.

Day itself left an impression on my mate, that he now often asks when Millwall away is and subject to work etc, he's often quite keen.

The game was on my brothers birthday.

I remembered while on the tube, managed to phone him, said happy birthday and the call cut off after about 3 seconds.

Apparently he found it very funny.

Almost got cut off from my lift home when leaving the ground though. 

At Hull the final day was one of the most annoyed I've been at a referee and linesman over the goal decision fiascos. 

I remember Glyn Riley scoring a equaliser at Swindon in the mid 80's and standing on the fencing in front of me, would've been about 10 years old and nearly got crushed. I would love to meet Glyn as I named my boy Riley who was 2 last week, of course he's got a number 6 shirt with Riley on the back.

6 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

I remember Glyn Riley scoring a equaliser at Swindon in the mid 80's and standing on the fencing in front of me, would've been about 10 years old and nearly got crushed. I would love to meet Glyn as I named my boy Riley who was 2 last week, of course he's got a number 6 shirt with Riley on the back.

1983/84 season not sure if Riley climbs on the fence as in the poor video clip he only goes in front of the enclosure

Rovers away at Twerton . About 15 of us went in the Rovers end behind the goal. We all agreed not to cheer if we scored. Dave Rennie hits a 30 yarder . Up we go . Rovers hit back with 2 before half time. We were young teenagers get spat at and hit by now . Ended up losing 3-2 got chased back to train station. Brilliant memories. Thinking about it Rovers have always been at the forefront of social distancing. Couldn’t even fill trumpton on derby day . 

On 13/06/2020 at 11:30, Oh Louie louie said:

Sorry i was harsh on this legend.?

He scored 1 goal in ten games at a tinpot outfit like swindon..

I recall him making gestures at us that day too.

I obviously used the word ‘legend’ in a sardonic sense ... I certainly don’t recall him making gestures at us during that game, care to expand?! 

On 13/06/2020 at 12:46, sticks 1969 said:

Must of been a fantastic time and era to watch football .... 

Yes it was. I was on one of the trains. It was the match in which John Quigley pleaded with the ref, NOT to send off Dave Mackay for a nasty foul. How different it all was then.

West Brom away Jan 79.  One of only a few games played that day as I recall, coach being an ice breaker on parts of the M5 on the way up, pitch covered in snow/ice and rock hard in places, Baggies players remarkably able to stand up and run due to the correct choice of footwear and ours slip sliding all over the place wearing studs.  1-3 defeat and absolutely the worst cup of tea I've ever had at an away match !

Would never happen these days,.....thankfully.

I think it was 90/91, a mid week game away at Brighton when they still played at the Goldstone Ground.

I had an unexpected day off so decided to drive there on my own to watch the match. I'd never been to Brighton before so left in plenty of time and got to the ground ridiculously early some time around 5pm.

At the time I was a TV repair man for a living, with a company van emblazoned with the firms name down the side which included the word 'television' in the sign writing.

I asked the steward on the main entrance where I could park, he looked at my van and said - 'television, over there by the BBC car' and waved me into the main carpark.

A last minute Gary Shelton goal was enough to seal a 1-0 win. 

The other thing that sticks in my mind from this game was Super Bob Taylor had just become a father and he got a bigger than usual welcome from the away fans congregated along the side of the pitch. 

9 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

I think it was 90/91, a mid week game away at Brighton when they still played at the Goldstone Ground.

I had an unexpected day off so decided to drive there on my own to watch the match. I'd never been to Brighton before so left in plenty of time and got to the ground ridiculously early some time around 5pm.

At the time I was a TV repair man for a living, with a company van emblazoned with the firms name down the side which included the word 'television' in the sign writing.

I asked the steward on the main entrance where I could park, he looked at my van and said - 'television, over there by the BBC car' and waved me into the main carpark.

A last minute Gary Shelton goal was enough to seal a 1-0 win. 

The other thing that sticks in my mind from this game was Super Bob Taylor had just become a father and he got a bigger than usual welcome from the away fans congregated along the side of the pitch. 

Absolutely bucketed down all night and we were in that open terrace on the side IIRC. We`d been in Brighton all day as back then CATS had an early coach if we were playing somewhere nice in a night match (they used to do it for Blackpool too).

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Absolutely bucketed down all night and we were in that open terrace on the side IIRC. We`d been in Brighton all day as back then CATS had an early coach if we were playing somewhere nice in a night match (they used to do it for Blackpool too).

Don't remember it bucketing down!

Highlights in part 2 of this video package.

The home game mentioned by Roger Malone I didn't attend...... I was getting married!

Blackpool away 2002 ish time, last game of season and 4-0 after 20 minutes.  Lost all faith in Danny Wilson that day. Should have packed him off then. 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Blackpool away 2002 ish time, last game of season and 4-0 after 20 minutes.  Lost all faith in Danny Wilson that day. Should have packed him off then. 

Ah yes, I remember that game. Didn't we have a chance of sneaking in the playoffs or something? I remember getting a text to say that another team were losing (presumably a playoff rival) and shouting that to everyone around me, just as Blackpool scored their first... 

Archived