IGNORED

Pubs Reopening - Watching Games

Lenners

I must admit I had little to no interest in the football season a few months back but now it seems like normality is slowly resuming and we'll be able to watch games in bars and with mates I'm quite excited again.

This weekend's a no go of course so just going to watch it in a mates garden but beyond July 4th (funnily enough, Cardiff at home day) what are peoples plans, get in and around BS3 and watch it in pubs there? I imagine it'll be quite lively.

From what I've read social distancing will be relaxed come the end of the month but given the gatherings we've seen all across beaches and city centres in this country the last few weeks I very much doubt a few football fans congregating outside of a players entrance would've been a massive issue anyway.

Roll on Saturday, it's been a while :) :yawn:

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'd imagine most people will do what they did before and watch games locally, only 2 City matches are likely to be shown in pubs - subject to social distancing - so I would imagine most will watch games at home.

In local pubs yes I expect, but not at home.

Two pubs in my local area (I live on "Rovers side of town") have already confirmed they'll be showing the games on Robins TV from the day they can legally reopen.

2 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

In local pubs yes I expect, but not at home.

Two pubs in my local area (I live on "Rovers side of town") have already confirmed they'll be showing the games on Robins TV from the day they can legally reopen.

Nice to see them breaking the law/rules then, hopefully get taken to Court by the club. 

1 minute ago, S25loyal said:

Nice to see them breaking the law/rules then, hopefully get taken to Court by the club. 

I'm sure the club will be taking legal action over a public establishment looking to do a nice thing for our fanbase after what's been a torrid time.

Bizarre.

1 minute ago, JollyestOli said:

I'm sure the club will be taking legal action over a public establishment looking to do a nice thing for our fanbase after what's been a torrid time.

Bizarre.

Well seeing as the pub arn’t allowed to show the games or have even paid for them then yes....

You think sky would be happy with pubs whacking IPTV up?

15 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Well seeing as the pub arn’t allowed to show the games or have even paid for them then yes....

Nothing to do with pubs showing to all per se, but what would/could happen if a pub owner paid for the game and showed it in a private room to a select few, if it is their own pub (could be classed as residential if they live there)? Is it any different than you or I having it and asking a few mates around? 

22 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

The game against Cardiff on the 4th July is on Sky sports, I assume that's what he meant when he said he would be watching it down the pub. I can't imagine there would be any pub daft enough to show an illegal stream and risk losing their license after all they have been through there will be more than enough legal games to show.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

The game against Cardiff on the 4th July is on Sky sports, I assume that's what he meant when he said he would be watching it down the pub. I can't imagine there would be any pub daft enough to show an illegal stream and risk losing their license after all they have been through there will be more than enough legal games to show.

36 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

He did mention the Robins TV games were being shown in the pub.

10 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Pubs won't be open until the 4th so the first day back in them happens to be Cardiff at home.

That's going to be a big day for a lot of people. :laugh:

As someone who pre-lockdown spent more time than most in a sport-friendly pub, the 'big day out' thing hasn't crossed my mind.

With the 'R' number still close to 1, and with following the science increasingly being loosened so that they are chasing a collapsing economy, I am very tempted to give the rest of the UK a week or two head start on pubs reopening before I start visiting them again.

I reckon a couple of cans in the comfort of my home and City on screen might even be the most sociable option! I won't have to ignore people to start with.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

As someone who pre-lockdown spent more time than most in a sport-friendly pub, the 'big day out' thing hasn't crossed my mind.

With the 'R' number still close to 1, and with following the science increasingly being loosened so that they are chasing a collapsing economy, I am very tempted to give the rest of the UK a week or two head start on pubs reopening before I start visiting them again.

I reckon a couple of cans in the comfort of my home and City on screen might even be the most sociable option! I won't have to ignore people to start with.

Fair enough mate.

As someone that this virus poses little threat to I've put my life on hold enough for the last three months, it will be a massive relief mentally for normality to resume for me and to be able to look forward to seeing mates at the weekend, drinking and watching the footy. 

16 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Possibly, 6 years ago, i went in a pub in newcastle, and they were showing live games on a saturday afternoon.

They even advertised it outside.

I didnt think leauge games could be broadcast live on saturdays?

Every Prem and Football League game is available nowadays, even the 3pm Saturday kick offs (and I mean pre-pandemic which has resulted in the current kick offs being all over the place!).

There are ways and means, and I am neither advocating the use of IPTV, nor condemning it, although I would say that the pub in Newcastle will highly unlikely be being as brazen as to advertise it nowadays as there have been many fines imposed on pubs for the flouting of the "live 3pm matches in the UK" rule!

1 hour ago, JollyestOli said:

Fair enough mate.

As someone that this virus poses little threat to I've put my life on hold enough for the last three months, it will be a massive relief mentally for normality to resume for me and to be able to look forward to seeing mates at the weekend, drinking and watching the footy. 

What if you catch it from someone, even asymptomatic, and then pass it to someone who is at threat, or perhaps you have underlying conditions that you weren’t aware of?

Just putting that out there.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

What if you catch it from someone, even asymptomatic, and then pass it to someone who is at threat, or perhaps you have underlying conditions that you weren’t aware of?

Just putting that out there.

Should I and others put lives on hold because of that?

I certainly won't be doing so, normality has to resume and fast otherwise the poverty caused from this will be a bigger killer than covid ever was.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

It’s on Be In sports channel for fee in OZ. (Foxtel) channel 3.

18 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

Should I and others put lives on hold because of that?

I certainly won't be doing so, normality has to resume and fast otherwise the poverty caused from this will be a bigger killer than covid ever was.

I think my point is just to be thoughtful of others.  You can get your life back towards normality by doing that.

1 hour ago, JollyestOli said:

Fair enough mate.

Each to their own and all that, but i can see pubs being a bit weird to start with.

Dare say I'll be using them before too long, but unlikely to bother for football (not least because I have about fifty quid in loyalty points to redeem!) I'll be needing a break from work in a while, and free lunchtime drinking could be the answer!

1 hour ago, CiderCraig said:

Every Prem and Football League game is available nowadays, even the 3pm Saturday kick offs (and I mean pre-pandemic which has resulted in the current kick offs being all over the place!).

There are ways and means, and I am neither advocating the use of IPTV, nor condemning it, although I would say that the pub in Newcastle will highly unlikely be being as brazen as to advertise it nowadays as there have been many fines imposed on pubs for the flouting of the "live 3pm matches in the UK" rule!

Been to a pub elsewhere that showed it. Somewhere in the South East late 2014, had 3pm PL kickoff. Certainly not unknown, unsure that pub ever got dobbed in- decent pub too.

35 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The first couple of days that the pubs are open will be Christmas x 100 in terms of the utter knobheadry on display from people who can't handle their drink.

As much as I'm missing going for a pint, I'll be giving it a swerve until the novelty has worn off for the masses.

Couldn't agree more. I have said to a few people, I reckon there will be some serious trouble in pubs (especially in town) where there will be plenty of people making arrangements for huge groups etc to go out, with some of those not drinking throughout this pandemic. It is a recipe for disaster, and I wouldn't want to be working in the emergency services that night. A & E numbers will certainly go up.

5 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

Class edit description. 

Don’t tend to read to manny of them but glad I bothered this time. 

4 hours ago, wood_red said:

Couldn't agree more. I have said to a few people, I reckon there will be some serious trouble in pubs (especially in town) where there will be plenty of people making arrangements for huge groups etc to go out, with some of those not drinking throughout this pandemic. It is a recipe for disaster, and I wouldn't want to be working in the emergency services that night. A & E numbers will certainly go up.

Who the hell has gotten through without drinking? ?

I'd like to propose a toast to them. 

Please raise your glasses... ?

9 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

I must admit I had little to no interest in the football season a few months back but now it seems like normality is slowly resuming and we'll be able to watch games in bars and with mates I'm quite excited again.

This weekend's a no go of course so just going to watch it in a mates garden but beyond July 4th (funnily enough, Cardiff at home day) what are peoples plans, get in and around BS3 and watch it in pubs there? I imagine it'll be quite lively.

From what I've read social distancing will be relaxed come the end of the month but given the gatherings we've seen all across beaches and city centres in this country the last few weeks I very much doubt a few football fans congregating outside of a players entrance would've been a massive issue anyway.

Roll on Saturday, it's been a while :) :yawn:

I expect police to be out in force dispersing gatherings of football fans.

7 hours ago, Northern Red said:

The first couple of days that the pubs are open will be Christmas x 100 in terms of the utter knobheadry on display from people who can't handle their drink.

As much as I'm missing going for a pint, I'll be giving it a swerve until the novelty has worn off for the masses.

A bit like Sports Direct or Primark, but with pubs ?

I am going to give pubs a miss for at least a month after they reopen, as it will be like the shops today (flies round shit springs to mind).  I'll wait for the 'novelty' to wear off and then pay a visit (although I frequent the Legion more than actual pubs so the clientéle is pretty consistent and not overcrowded so that policy might change!

Archived