IGNORED

Pubs Reopening - Watching Games

Lenners

10 hours ago, wood_red said:

Nothing to do with pubs showing to all per se, but what would/could happen if a pub owner paid for the game and showed it in a private room to a select few, if it is their own pub (could be classed as residential if they live there)? Is it any different than you or I having it and asking a few mates around? 

Very unlikely a pubs going to break the law, essentially having a lock in while showing bristol city games on, when the whole country is in lockdown. 

Likewise, sky licenses for pubs are not simply a sky subscription, they cost £1000s. Cant see any pubs being able to have people in a room inside watching bristol city tv any time soon? 

38 minutes ago, City18 said:

Very unlikely a pubs going to break the law, essentially having a lock in while showing bristol city games on, when the whole country is in lockdown. 

Likewise, sky licenses for pubs are not simply a sky subscription, they cost £1000s. Cant see any pubs being able to have people in a room inside watching bristol city tv any time soon? 

I don't think anyone is speaking about games when pubs are still officially shut. 

All I was asking is what is the difference of anyone having a load of mates around to watch it in their house, once the Robins TV has been paid by the homeowner, or a person who owns a pub and lives there (that in affect being his house), and showing it in a private room to a few mates? I am unsure where the line of the "illegal" is or when it comes into it.

3 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

Who the hell has gotten through without drinking? ?

I'd like to propose a toast to them. 

Please raise your glasses... ?

I know a fair few to be honest, I went a couple of months - but I never drink at home (well only after 2 months I do)! I found it hard the first couple of weeks but then pretty much got used to it.

25 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I don't think anyone is speaking about games when pubs are still officially shut. 

All I was asking is what is the difference of anyone having a load of mates around to watch it in their house, once the Robins TV has been paid by the homeowner, or a person who owns a pub and lives there (that in affect being his house), and showing it in a private room to a few mates? I am unsure where the line of the "illegal" is or when it comes into it.

In terms of the legality, might depend on whether they fit into, or are contained within, the new social bubble rules.

In terms of the practicality, if discreet and keeping word amongst themselves, strictly- WhatsApp feels a good tool, reasonable chance people wouldn't be caught.

Now I wonder if, a beer garden say.. Private stream, 6 or less- and technically outdoors so not risking flouting the social bubble indoors angle.

How does the law :whistle: cover this?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In terms of the legality, might depend on whether they fit into, or are contained within, the new social bubble rules.

In terms of the practicality, if discreet and keeping word amongst themselves, strictly- WhatsApp feels a good tool, reasonable chance people wouldn't be caught.

Will these social bubbles still be in play when pubs are opened? Assuming they aren't and assuming social distancing rules are still in place and adhered to then that part isn't the problem (still don't see how pubs can do it anyway, but that's another story).

Is the scenario of watching it actually illegal? I am just interested, as wondering what the difference is to me or you having mates around to watch it - which for all I now could be classed as illegal nowadays!

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

Well if you're talking about the pub using their own private quarters where they live (I.e. their home) then you're asking what's the difference between watching in your mates house or watching in your mates house. 

If you're asking about the difference between watching at your mates house, or watching at the pub, in areas accessible to the pub users, then think it's pretty obvious what the difference is? There are different laws regarding purchases of a sport stream for personal use and use as a business. If the pub owner is using it to attract people to his establishment then this is not use for private consumption.

I can only assume you're asking about the use of the stream as a lure for customers. Otherwise it's a pretty obvious question isnt it? 

If I rented a flat above a restaurant and invited my mates round to watch the boxing, this is clearly a different scenario to the restaurant owner showing it to customers and therefore they would need to buy the commercial rights to show this and not just pay the private £19.99 PPV price.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

I suppose it depends whether he owns it or he merely (as most do) lease the pub. 

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

Will these social bubbles still be in play when pubs are opened? Assuming they aren't and assuming social distancing rules are still in place and adhered to then that part isn't the problem (still don't see how pubs can do it anyway, but that's another story).

Is the scenario of watching it actually illegal? I am just interested, as wondering what the difference is to me or you having mates around to watch it - which for all I now could be classed as illegal nowadays!

Yes, fair point- wasn't thinking that far ahead (with you on the pubs and enforcement of social distancing likelihood too).

As of now, technically, outside social bubbles if people aren't in them, they are technically breaking the law if they go round someone's house inside. I believe the regulation/guidance is currently for 6 or less to meet outside? Would be a nonsense if pubs could open but the 6 or less rule was still in place but these days who the hell knows- policy and guidance seems to shift rapidly!

So I think it would currently as of now be technically breaking the law but who would know, or be able to enforce it! May not be of course by the time pubs reopen but the jumping from policy to policy, sudden swings- nothing would surprise me! Just my own view, who knows though.

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, fair point- wasn't thinking that far ahead (with you on the pubs and enforcement of social distancing likelihood too).

As of now, technically, outside social bubbles if people aren't in them, they are technically breaking the law if they go round someone's house inside. I believe the regulation/guidance is currently for 6 or less to meet outside? Would be a nonsense if pubs could open but the 6 or less rule was still in place but these days who the hell knows- policy and guidance seems to shift rapidly!

So I think it would currently as of now be technically breaking the law but who would know, or be able to enforce it! May not be of course by the time pubs reopen but the jumping from policy to policy, sudden swings- nothing would surprise me! Just my own view, who knows though.

They seem to be a couple of weeks behind logic wise ie can meet someone in a park but not back garden about a month or so ago then changed a couple of weeks after

9 hours ago, wood_red said:

I know a fair few to be honest, I went a couple of months - but I never drink at home (well only after 2 months I do)! I found it hard the first couple of weeks but then pretty much got used to it. 

Fair play, I guess if you're a non-home drinker, it would be strange to only have that option if you did want a drink. 

As someone who doesn't get out as much as they'd like, even without a pandemic causing a lockdown, my 'apple juice' consumption is almost exclusively at home, so not too much has changed here! 

I have to admit that the wife has referred to me as being like a 'kid waiting for Christmas' waiting for the return of the Football, and yes I am guilty of winding her up with "only 'x' number of days to go, love...". 

Looking forward to watching Villa further dropping in to the brown smelly stuff tomorrow, and of course Saturday afternoon, watching our beloved City returning to action...

A few extra cans have been ordered for Saturday, would be rude not to. 

COYR. 

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I have read it can cost a landlord a 3 figure sum, to show a sky game in a pub.

Ive no ideal if this is correct, anybody know?

The 3 or 4 games on Prime last Christmas cost the landlord of my local about £700, the original quote was closer to £1500! 

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

The 3 or 4 games on Prime last Christmas cost the landlord of my local about £700, the original quote was closer to £1500! 

Will pubs want to show the football in the current environment as you say it’s expensive to do so so at the best of times. With social distancing and restriction of numbers in a bar I can’t see how it can be profitable until people can be crammed in. I do fear for pubs in this country

2 minutes ago, daored said:

Will pubs want to show the football in the current environment as you say it’s expensive to do so so at the best of times. With social distancing and restriction of numbers in a bar I can’t see how it can be profitable until people can be crammed in. I do fear for pubs in this country

It'll all be down to numbers adding up.

If it isn't worth it, they won't show it.

On 15/06/2020 at 12:37, Mr Popodopolous said:

So are pubs now officially allowed to show football then- any official confirmation?

Seems the kind of thing that could increase risk of second wave if so.

They haven't even said pubs can open on 4 July yet, it's all just paper talk. If there's a sudden increase in R value between now and then doubt it will happen

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

They haven't even said pubs can open on 4 July yet, it's all just paper talk. If there's a sudden increase in R value between now and then doubt it will happen

Exactly...I thought it was possible for pubs to open on the 4th July at the earliest but only outdoor areas and as you say it hasn't been confirmed.

Archived