IGNORED

Villa vs Sheffield Reds - Manchester Blues vs Arsenal

Unan

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting to note that crowd noise on or off seems to split opinion 50:50.

Personally for me, so much of football is about the atmosphere and the assault on the senses. I’ve found it surprisingly easy to accept the crowd noise as if it was really there, when I expected the fakeness of it to annoy me.

The Villa tape cheering one of their own shots getting saved made me laugh, so I'll allow it.

Just now, wayne allisons tongues said:

You can only make substitutions 3 times during the match using up to 5 subs.

Thanks for clearing that up, but that makes very little sense at face value.

1 minute ago, sephjnr said:

The Villa tape cheering one of their own shots getting saved made me laugh, so I'll allow it.

Thanks for clearing that up, but that makes very little sense at face value.

I know, that’s why I thought it was harsh. Can see reason behind it to stop time wasting, but with the injuries wasn’t really a lot they could do.

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

Don't think VAR does goal line technology, even though they should have the right to step in. 

I think that duty is left to the ref's GLT watch ?‍♂️

Sounds absolutely ridiculous which is why I believe it ?

Surely VAR is there to correct the obvious mistakes, or not so obvious in some cases. If it can rule a goal out, why can it not give a goal when it’s so obvious?

1 minute ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I know, that’s why I thought it was harsh. Can see reason behind it to stop time wasting, but with the injuries wasn’t really a lot they could do.

Just how much it disrupts a game, 10 subs otherwise potentially

7 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Streams will be added later. Up the Sheffield.

image.thumb.png.e215eb4c1e7e6f8a5b9a3c1d59f8b7b3.png

Small point, but it’s actually less letters to type out, and therefore less effort required, to call them Sheffield Utd and Manchester City rather the mildly annoying ‘americanisms’ of Sheffield Reds and Manchester Blues ... as you were ...

39 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Arsenal are awful. Arteta has a huge job to do there.

Less than the sum of their parts. Though Man City away not necessarily a barometer.

Leno- Ball playing keeper. Or was!

Bellerin- Has been a rather useful RB. Certainly an attacking outlet, or was.

Holding- Possibly the better of their CBs. 

Luiz/Sokratis. Too old probably, now.

Tierney- Has some attributes. 

Midfield. Should be able to mould a cohesive 3 out of Torreira, Guendouzi and Ceballos. Though the latter can be upgraded. Willock as the 3rd?

Front 3. Pepe, Aubameyang, Lacazette can be quite strong. 

Young players such as Saka, Nelson, Martinelli and Nketiah.

Should be doing better overall IMO. If you swapped Wilder for Emery and Arteta I'm sure they would be! Arsenal's squad has a lot more pedigree and high-level experience overall.

Ozil certainly doesn't fit a modern or orthodox 4-3-3 though. Diamond perhaps but 4-2-3-1 with Ozil can leave a side exposed

Interesting discussion somewhere online, if Sheffield Utd miss out on champions league/Europa league by a point then the possibility of a claim against Hawkeye for loss of earnings. It’s not something subjective like a decision it’s straight up their system not working as designed/promised.

10 hours ago, Nibor said:

I can understand that somewhat.  VAR has been wrong about half the time and hawkeye never before.  I wouldn't want VAR trying to overrule it personally.

But it's not a case of it just overruling it.

VAR is on the whole time and we had a case where there was daylight between the ball and the goal line. When that was seen, someone should have had a word with the referee so he could view the incident himself and make a decision.

1 minute ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Still can’t work out if there was 7 cameras how all of them were obscured.

Still believe there was a technical glitch and that’s why during the game it was mentioned it is working now. 

I think you must be right.

If it is true that it can be obscured by the keeper's arm and post, the system needs changing. It is specifically there for the difficult decisions, including seeing if the keeper carries it over the line.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I still think they forgot to turn it on.

if it was the responsibility of someone at villa park you can bet Hawkeye would have blamed them rather than giving the reason they gave to protect their system

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

if it was the responsibility of someone at villa park you can bet Hawkeye would have blamed them rather than giving the reason they gave to protect their system

Admit it was your mistake that it wasn’t switched on or put out a statement saying camera angles were blocked.  Never been blocked before during goalmouth scrambles ever and was just a keeper and a defender there. How can a post be in the way? surely it would be in the way every game and would of been picked up.

Just seems weird that it was being reported during match that it was said at HT the system is now working and refs watch said goal. 

8 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Just seems weird that it was being reported during match that it was said at HT the system is now working and refs watch said goal. 

To be fair seen claims online saying the system was tested at half time, if so then no doubt the watch would go off, whether that’s true then who knows

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

To be fair seen claims online saying the system was tested at half time, if so then no doubt the watch would go off, whether that’s true then who knows

I'd imagine they were looking at it at half time, or someone warming up could have easily kicked a ball in the goal as well. 

The page to read up on more about hawkeye's goal line tech currently isn't available..... but there is a video which demonstrates where the cameras should be to make the system work, have to say i find it hard to believe from the example angles provided that all the cameras couldn't see

Losing a lot of respect for Dean Smith as well, he admits it was a goal but didn't allow sheffield utd to put the ball in the net at the start of the second half, compare that to how he reacted in the Leeds game last year where he asked Bielsa to let Villa score as seen in the video from the time

This highlights what I see as the fundamental problem with VAR and Hawkeye, i.e. referees are too inclined to rely on the technology and thereby abdicate responsibility for making a contentious decision.

As with VAR I cannot understand why referees are not encouraged, or take it upon themselves, to review an incident on the pitched monitor. There have been far too many decisions where VAR has made the wrong call but where a referee would almost certainly have decided differently, even with the same video replay. At Villa Park, while Hawkeye might well have been blinded, a quick review of the tv camera replays from almost any angle would have enabled the referee to award a rightful goal.

That the ref was pointing at his watch to the Sheff Utd players, indicates to me that he probably realised that the ball and crossed the line but could sidestep responsibility and liability by using technology as his defence.

Shambolic!

Archived