IGNORED

LJ - Pre-Match Blackburn

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Although not named specifically, I think O’Dowda is gonna start....LJ talked about players who can run with the ball.

Always thought of O Dowda as a Monday-Friday player. Probably looks great in training all week so can't be left out on a Saturday.....then fails to turn up when it matters Saturday afternoon.

With no crowds in the stadium we may just see the best of him.

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Always thought of O Dowda as a Monday-Friday player. Probably looks great in training all week so can't be left out on a Saturday.....then fails to turn up when it matters Saturday afternoon.

I’ve been quite critical of him, because I do think he has something....and that is the ability to burst forward against the more open teams.  His better performances have always been against the footballing teams, e.g. Norwich rather than say Millwall.

If the Bundesliga is anything to go by, the intensity is down a notch and the distances back to front are slightly bigger.  Could suit Callum.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been quite critical of him, because I do think he has something....and that is the ability to burst forward against the more open teams.  His better performances have always been against the footballing teams, e.g. Norwich rather than say Millwall.

If the Bundesliga is anything to go by, the intensity is down a notch and the distances back to front are slightly bigger.  Could suit Callum.

If O'Dowda plays, who would you expect on the other side? 

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

With the revised schedule he should be decent then.

Half our games are midweek

Injuries out the way and the squad back together is one thing. I just hope the tactics have changed and we don't continue with the approach of carrying the ball to the halfway line, stopping and passing backwards so often. This team is better than that and it's not fun to watch 

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If it’s 442 then Pato.

Which one at RM? COD seems better on the left but has played right, I don’t remember Pato playing right too often. This is where we really miss Brownhill imo, being able to slot in on that right side 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Which one at RM? COD seems better on the left but has played right, I don’t remember Pato playing right too often. This is where we really miss Brownhill imo, being able to slot in on that right side 

Pato, but they can swap.  They started the Fulham game like this.

Just now, mozo said:

That sounds about right. Perhaps with Diedhiou up top to start, then Afobe off the bench on the hour mark. 

Yes was Weimann and Wells v Fulham, assuming Wells is fit, then Diedhiou and Wells I reckon.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes was Weimann and Wells v Fulham, assuming Wells is fit, then Diedhiou and Wells I reckon.

Okay, we're narrowing this down. Will LJ go Nagy or Massengo alongside Smith (Henriksen unlikely)?.

6 minutes ago, Meh said:

So 

COD - Smith - Massengo - Patterson

Diedhiou - Wells

Don’t  want to be negative first game but - meh !!

Seems samey, bland and safe rather than different and exciting but let’s see.

Sounds very Lee Johnson 

19 minutes ago, Meh said:

So 

Diedhiou - Wells

That team would be safe but not even so secure. The worst of all worlds! Strikes me as able to play through by Blackburn. Weaknesses that can be exposed.

4 hours ago, Murraysrightplum said:

This lockdown could be a real blessing for us - key players back/time to gel for new signings (wells mainly) plus it’s like a new season and we usually start well. If we sneak our way into the playoffs this way I’ll take it!!!

We'll flatter to decieve.... hope kills.

You knows it.

If we're going for predictions, my wildcard would O'Dowda playing in CM and making runs forward

Bentley

Kalas       Benkovic     Baker

Pereira                                                              Dasilva

Smith       Massengo

Palmer

Wells           Afobe*

*Diedhiou if not fit 

9 minutes ago, Meh said:

So 

Diedhiou - Wells

So 2 strikers, 2 wingers, and a forward thinking CMF is Meh ? Not sure what you're expecting ( insert Faulty Towers/hanging gardens of Babylon quote ).

If I was going to change that set up, it would be for more wide MF rather than the 2 more attacking players. Weimann would do a job there, but looks doubtful. Marley Watkins would be a decent shout, and I think that COD could do the WMF job as he does look at the defensive side more. As for the front 2, Wells has to be nailed on to start, then as Afobe hasn't played competitive football for 9 months so would be a brave shout to start him, and ( from memory ) Fam had played ok before the break. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight change to this 442, and play nearer a 4411. That could add solidity of an extra man in MF out pf possession , but a link to Wells as soon as we win the ball back. Possibly something along the lines of.

Watkins  Smith. Nagy. COD

(1 from Pato/Pamer/HNM/Eliasson)

Wells

With Fam and BA on the bench, plenty of attacking options should we need them. Plus at times we could switch to a 433 with the wide men pushing on.

When the team is announced, I'd love to know if anyone gets the formation right, let alone the team.

I've not had a chance to watch it, as is quite long- is Weimann definitely out or? As was moted with Covid.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like:

Bentley

Pereira Kalas Baker DaSilva

Smith Nagy Massengo

Weimann                  Eliasson

Afobe

The caveat there is if Afobe unfit, then Wells. Clearly may have to revise if Weimann definitely out too! O'Dowda as an alternative? He can be quite direct, he can stay wide yet drift in as well.

The right side could be quite secure, the 3 in midfield would stop us being outnumbered and indeed would restrict Holtby who can be quite creative, DaSilva and Eliasson can double up and restrict Blackburn's right side- and indeed get some joy if Gallagher out wide, that feels like a potential weak point. 3 instead of 2 also protects Nagy a bit more.

Weimann in that is definitely NOT a winger. A wide midfielder yes, who can push higher and wider into a right sided wide striker. 

Part of me is inclined for Benkovic-Kalas to enable a bit of a higher line- and also Hunt or Pereira, split in some ways as I feel that Hunt and Weimann- the latter with his energy, the former as he is an outlet can expose weaknesses, especially if say up v a Bell-Downing left side. Bell isn't a great attacking threat and can maybe be isolated or restricted, which in turn could push back Downing- that's before we even get onto his age. If they had a more attacking LB I wouldn't be so sure however!

Oh and the other advantage of Afobe or Wells up front in this scenario- IMO of course- is that unlike Diedhiou they can more readily drop back or drift across- Holtby may have to come out to try and intercept, track thereby a) Restricting him further and b) Giving us a definite advantage in CM.

Through all of this we will see how much influence LJ has had on getting players like Wells and Benkovic up to speed with “the system”.

If Benkovic facilitates a higher line and better distribution then I would go with him over Baker...who’s had a good season.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Through all of this we will see how much influence LJ has had on getting players like Wells and Benkovic up to speed with “the system”.

If Benkovic facilitates a higher line and better distribution then I would go with him over Baker...who’s had a good season.

I'd love to know what “the system”. is !

With a fair amount splashed on both players ( I don't suppose a £15m player comes cheap even on loan ) , you could see Wells and Benkovic being involved. Thing is Kalas and Baker have been good, don't see us playing a 3 though. Wonder if LJ is really going to throw us by playing Benkovic as a shield in front of the back 4, holding MF type, not sure he's mobile enough.
I guess we will have to wait for a book to come out to see who actually choses who comes in. 

I'm not sure which is better. Having a squad where the XI picks itself and the subs just cover injuries. Or, like we have, a good solid squad of players where you can mix and match without weakening the side.

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Why do so many people right Niclas off? By a mile our most creative player and takes the beat set pieces. 

First name on team sheet for me as he is by a mile our best wide player. 

Archived