IGNORED

How do you feel about football now ?

Major Isewater

I confess that at the beginning of the lockdown I missed football a lot but as time went by I kind of found other things to do and think about .

I am excited about the run in but all the talk of money , cheating and clubs being badly run I can do without.

I am hoping that this health crisis results in a reboot for football and sport in general where the proximity to the people is renewed and the millionaire  vultures with their bags of gold can just go and find new toys to play with . 

It will be interesting  to see how clubs and governing bodies react to this golden opportunity to get their houses in order.

I feel pretty indifferent to football at the moment Major.  

Agree with your points about football getting their house in order and it’ll be interesting to see if there’s more appreciation shown to fans, after clubs have played a few games in empty, silent stadiums.

Not holding my breath though!

If there is a widespread financial crisis within football and the English league resets to 1989 before Italia 90 made it cool and then it sold its soul to the Premier League and TV money then I will be absolutely delighted.

A lot of smaller clubs will go bust, but they will reform as phoenix clubs so no worry there, but what's really required is for the big foreign owned clubs to go bust.

Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal.  If they all collapsed then the foreign owners and their money would go elsewhere, the TV money would evaporate, and we would be back to having local boys like John Atyeo banging them in for City and England before becoming a maths teacher and never having crashed a Lamborghini, done a country mile of coke, or had a spit roast with a team mate exposed in The Sun.  

Honestly, lockdown just proved that I'm addicted to football. I haven't stopped thinking about it the whole time. Caught up on loads of football podcasts, documentaries and highlights. I'm an addict.

I fear that nothing will have changed in terms of the influence of money and the game, though it will take time for things to get back to full throttle. We've coped with the sense of unreality and incongruity well enough in the past - the cognitive dissonance of knowing that a club or a football-related situation is utterly bonkers in terms of what's happening on the financial side (think Premiership QPR), but still at the end of the day just being interested in what happens on the pitch, and seeing it all as part of the rich tapestry of the wonderful world of football. It's been remarkably bizarre during lockdown to read of the economic and social catastrophe of the virus, while clicking through Sky Sports News stories about £300 million pound buy-out clauses, top club transfer targets and mind-boggling wage offers, and all the rest, as if nothing else was happening. What a bubble, and you've got to have a sneaking admiration for it in a way ('World Set to End Tomorrow'; 'Liverpool contemplate open-topped bus tour while Man Utd mull Pogba future').

Nevertheless, while I'll keep avidly following the City as I've done for the last 40 years, this coronavirus period will only reinforce a rekindled interest in lower league football that gripped me last year. I started going to see Oxford City, then lower league clubs local to me such as North Leigh (amazing what an app can do to help develop and accentuate your connection with a club playing in front of only 50 people or so!), and those in the part of Cornwall I used to live in following my departure from Bristol as a young kid.

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I confess that at the beginning of the lockdown I missed football a lot but as time went by I kind of found other things to do and think about .

I am excited about the run in but all the talk of money , cheating and clubs being badly run I can do without.

I am hoping that this health crisis results in a reboot for football and sport in general where the proximity to the people is renewed and the millionaire  vultures with their bags of gold can just go and find new toys to play with . 

It will be interesting  to see how clubs and governing bodies react to this golden opportunity to get their houses in order.

Lost it’s appeal for me - greed has taken over the game. When you have premiership clubs with all their income they receive and because they were going to lose 9 games of a season the financial crash it would cause us insane.

Watching the games last night - just didn’t enjoy them - we need fans in the ground in my opinion.

I feel for the clubs whose seasons have been cancelled 

Didn't miss football when it all ground to a halt - no point missing what you knew you couldn't see - at the time it was probably quite unlikely the season would even resume.

However! Now I am buzzing for saturday! I know it'll be shite & the stream won't work, we'll lose, probably pick up a few injuries and our hopes will yet again, as so often the case, be dashed. 

BUT - football is back, baby!:city::drunk2::bounce:

It's not more important than life. It's not more important than buses and bus drivers, or supermarkets and lorry drivers, it turnts out. We can go three months without football because it is a magnificent irrelevance, and only worth paying attention to when you have at least 36 rolls of bog roll in your cupboard, and flour in yer pantry.

Bill Shankly couldn't have been more wrong.

When it stopped, it was a bit of a shock at first. Then you get used to it and accept it wasn't safe. 

No it's restarting, I'm looking forward to it - although not being there feels bizzare and odd. 

But it's the first step to being able to get back, so it's welcome. 

I have lost interest in the Premier league almost completely. 

It's only thay it's our destination of choice that gives it any relevance whatsoever to me. 

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Haven't missed it at all, perhaps there were more important things to think about!?

But now everything is restarting, I am back in the mood for some football and especially the heartbreak of finishing 7th after losing to Preston ?

7th, steady on!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Rocky said:

Haven't missed it at all, perhaps there were more important things to think about!?

But now everything is restarting, I am back in the mood for some football and especially the heartbreak of finishing 7th after losing to Preston ?

Agree I haven't missed it, and with everything going on the break hasn't seemed that long.

I can't stand watching football on TV, even worse City - so will wait an see how the next couple of weeks will go

46 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

I nearly lost my job over that.... ran up a fortune of a bill on my car phone (BT Ruby if the kids are interested) all over the Rob Newman to Norwich transfer saga.

The very worst was when Joe Jordan was interviewed, my Bob , could that man mumble and in a Scottish accent . I would have to call two or three times just to get the full dialogue. 

Maybe that was part of the master plan ? 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Ive not missed the premier league one iota.

I agree with you Major in hoping that a result of the pandemic is some sort of re-boot for football. Sadly, it is likely to be EFL clubs that are exposed the greatest immediate financial risk, and it is they that form the closest link to the way  football was pre-premier league to which you refer. The impact of gate receipts is much greater at EFL level, even the championship, than it is in the premier league, where TV revenue is huge.

As a result, it will be interesting to see what happens with player contract negotiations over the next 12 months and I hope there will be a few agents with their noses put well out of joint when they are told their client will get what the club can afford and not what he wants.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If there is a widespread financial crisis within football and the English league resets to 1989 before Italia 90 made it cool and then it sold its soul to the Premier League and TV money then I will be absolutely delighted.

A lot of smaller clubs will go bust, but they will reform as phoenix clubs so no worry there, but what's really required is for the big foreign owned clubs to go bust.

Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal.  If they all collapsed then the foreign owners and their money would go elsewhere, the TV money would evaporate, and we would be back to having local boys like John Atyeo banging them in for City and England before becoming a maths teacher and never having crashed a Lamborghini, done a country mile of coke, or had a spit roast with a team mate exposed in The Sun.  

ron burgundy GIF

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You didn't know about John Atyeo's quaalude years? Wild.

Can’t lie. I’m not interested in the return of football, and have no excitement for it. Without fans present, it just doesn’t appeal to me. I love City but I doubt I’ll watch the games but just keep an eye on the results. 

Until football returns to some form of normality. I won’t have any interest I feel.

It split opinion when I suggested it before, but I still feel that of all the years to finally achieve promotion, this would be the worst and most unsatisfying season in which to do it. So I’m struggling to get too excited about the resumption when I’m not even convinced I want us to do it this year.

1 hour ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

I have missed the matchday experience, meeting up with mates, natch on the wall, setting off early for away trips, as for the actual game.....not missed it really....

That's where I am. Starting to fall out of love with football a bit TBH. Our own club are now displaying the sort of greed you only expect from the premier league big boys. Friday's (at 5pm!!) nonsense email with the lack of empathy and the hidden "option 4" was a piss take.

And don't get me stareted on VAR etc.. They can spend 10 minutes checking that someones ballbag is offside but can't tell when the ball is over the line..!!

The game is killing itself.

Archived