IGNORED

How do you feel about football now ?

Major Isewater

No question that the lockdown caused a big shift of the landscape for everyone, and football's absence was part of it - perhaps masked partly by it. Therefore the effects of not having the normal world of the Beautiful Game may have been deflected for some people. Yes, there is another world. But now we have some sort of pathway to closure of the suspended season and maybe the old feelings will return in full. Maybe it will return for some, but not in the same magnitude. We will have other thoughts on our minds to deal with.

With all due respect and sympathies, the virus has done what viruses do and claimed many with underlying health issues. The lockdown will negatively affect those clubs (indeed, all businesses) with underlying wealth issues. When things are running more or less like before we will see just how deep the problems within the game run (lower leagues particularly). Some will probably not survive, at least in the same form. Bury's demise may be the first of several. Inevitably the game in general will be different, as will people's appreciation.

So when we get going again will we see a change in the fans' approach? Will we return as if nothing had happened or will we have new values to hold football to? I don't know how the 20-21 season is going to go, either timescale or if fans will be allowed in yet. The virus could change things very considerably, not just in the medical sense. Personally it felt like a sort of trance whilst things went strange, but I am ready to get back to the game I love. Yes, it will be different in some good ways, some bad, some just different. But it's been three months of life on pause and that cannot be what we want. Let's get back to it!

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I confess that at the beginning of the lockdown I missed football a lot but as time went by I kind of found other things to do and think about .

I am excited about the run in but all the talk of money , cheating and clubs being badly run I can do without.

I am hoping that this health crisis results in a reboot for football and sport in general where the proximity to the people is renewed and the millionaire  vultures with their bags of gold can just go and find new toys to play with . 

It will be interesting  to see how clubs and governing bodies react to this golden opportunity to get their houses in order.

How do you feel about football now ?

Fingers crossed with future health pandemics possible, that investment in football clubs is seen as a too greater risk for the foreign billionaires.

Must say I am in agreement that football seems irrelevant now and all the money handed around for players seems absurd given it is just a game.

If the nation is set to struggle financially after this, I struggle to see how clubs can continue to go the way they are. Think people will be turned away from paying 42 quid to watch championship football when times are tough. 

It doesn't really matter to me whether city have nakhi wells or bas savage up front. Whether in the premier league or league two, just enjoy the matchday experience and hopefully clubs will realise fans primarily want to feel valued and the end goal of man city success and wealth isnt actually what 95% of lower league clubs necessarily want

Now a soulless sterile waste of time. Watching these games with no crowd or atmosphere. Why bother.
I have now lost interest and yet ironically I have taken an option so I can watch City On the stream  but to be honest if it a nice day might find something else to do. Football with out crowds is like having an omelette with no eggs !!?

the new season will kick off in August. I have heard mutterings that limited numbers might be allowed back to stadiums next season. We shall see but this pandemic is going to change the landscape massively. Many Footie fans I have spoken to share my  view. 

I’ve missed going to watch City, and also my kids playing for their teams. 

I’ve got mixed feelings about the season re-start, mainly because it’ll be really weird watching games on a screen and with the players in an empty stadium. But I’m also looking forward to that escapism football brings (worrying about results, wondering who’s going to be in the team, looking at the league table with the next game in mind etc). 

No at all interested in the return of football, season has been suspended too long,  so has lost all its momentum for me. 
After watching bits of last nights games it confirmed it for me, just a watered down version, hardly a hard tackle put in and with the lack of atmosphere, found it dire to be honest. Proved beyond doubt that the game is nothing without the fans. 

Rather Glastonbury was going ahead than the football re-starting to be perfectly honest. 

4 hours ago, glynriley said:

That's where I am. Starting to fall out of love with football a bit TBH. Our own club are now displaying the sort of greed you only expect from the premier league big boys. Friday's (at 5pm!!) nonsense email with the lack of empathy and the hidden "option 4" was a piss take.

And don't get me stareted on VAR etc.. They can spend 10 minutes checking that someones ballbag is offside but can't tell when the ball is over the line..!!

The game is killing itself.

Premier League club in training...

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

Not if it's declared safe to do so. People still have the choice whether to go or not 

Boris saying its safe doesn't mean it is. When the politicians are happy to cram into the chamber together again without social distancing, thats when i shall start believing its safe to mix. 

14 minutes ago, marmite said:

Boris saying its safe doesn't mean it is. When the politicians are happy to cram into the chamber together again without social distancing, thats when i shall start believing its safe to mix. 

They are already slapping each other on the back so that's a start in the right direction !

Really haven't missed it.  Tried to watch the two Premier games yesterday but found myself with half an eye on it and half an eye on other things.  

Might change when City play, but even that I'm not overly enthusiastic about at the moment.  Haven't bothered with the Robins TV for the upcoming games.  I'll watch Soccer Saturday I think. 

Football has been more about the day out and less about the football for me for a while now.

I'd like to see this used as an opportunity to reset football (but don't think it will be).

As much as I love my football it has made me reevaluate. It is only a game and not an ‘essential service’ that maybe I used to believe. The players are not Key Workers and although paid well they have no standing in our society compared to some.

Football on tv is far removed from being there, it’s like the games are going through the motions and might as well be happening the other side of the planet. Maybe seeing City tomorrow will kick start me into giving something emotionally again, I hope so but things may never be the same after these past few months.

I think a lot of us will admit that the worst bit of going to football is the actual 90 minutes. Over this period I just missed the social element that goes with it and what with living in Cardiff I still won’t be able to replicate that once it’s back this weekend.

I was feeling positive for it coming back in a better shape then when it left with serious changes made to protect the smaller teams. I fear now that it’ll be back in its usual disguise and the spineless FA/EFL won’t bring in any new measures and will just hope that salary caps and scrapping parachute payments will just blow over.

I hadn't missed it through lockdown until I caught half of a Bundesliga game a couple of weekends ago, and realised watching football is a bigger emotional need for me than I thought! I have quickly spiralled to purchasing a NowTV 3-month Sky Sports pass and watching 'EFL greatest hits' etc in spare moments.

As for City's return I have mixed feelings as I think that we stand a much better chance of promotion in this wierd reset than if the season had of played out normally. At the same time I'd feel a great sense of missing out if I (and everyone other fan) couldn't be there for that moment.

I have also just discovered my dad - City fan for 40+ years and who I go to home games with - has suddenly developed a terminal illness and is unlikely to live out the summer. I'm not looking for sympathy but it's helpful to share the news in a Bristol City context. So likely to have very bittersweet emotions seeing us play again; will see how tomorrow goes.

2 minutes ago, SoliCyder said:

I hadn't missed it through lockdown until I caught half of a Bundesliga game a couple of weekends ago, and realised watching football is a bigger emotional need for me than I thought! I have quickly spiralled to purchasing a NowTV 3-month Sky Sports pass and watching 'EFL greatest hits' etc in spare moments.

As for City's return I have mixed feelings as I think that we stand a much better chance of promotion in this wierd reset than if the season had of played out normally. At the same time I'd feel a great sense of missing out if I (and everyone other fan) couldn't be there for that moment.

I have also just discovered my dad - City fan for 40+ years and ego I go to home games with - has suddenly developed a terminal illness and is unlikely to live out the summer. I'm not looking for sympathy but it's helpful to share the news in a Bristol City context. So likely to have very bittersweet emotions seeing us play again; will see how tomorrow goes.

I hope City can do the business for your old man and for all of us.

I've lost all enthusiasm for it to be honest. I've felt for a while that I'm falling out of love with the modern game, so much so that given the chance I'd have my 20/21 season ticket refunded ?. What I do miss is the meeting up and going for a beer before the match.

Whilst before lockdown I would watch a fair bit of televised football, I have to say that without fans in the stadium, the whole game is missing a key dimension.

So yes, I will watch the City games with interest, but a couple of weeks back I'd have probably said that I be watching every game regardless, aside from City and the results in other games that impact us, no real interest.

1 hour ago, SoliCyder said:

I have also just discovered my dad - City fan for 40+ years and who I go to home games with - has suddenly developed a terminal illness and is unlikely to live out the summer. I'm not looking for sympathy but it's helpful to share the news in a Bristol City context. So likely to have very bittersweet emotions seeing us play again; will see how tomorrow goes.

I wish you and you Dad strength and serenity during this difficult period .

Would be nice if City could do the decent thing and give him promotion to the Prem .

A big part of being a City supporter for me is the fellow fans you meet regularly out and about who you have a chat to about the club.

Talking about the last game, the next game, how the season's going, the latest transfer news etc.

People you would never have known but for your shared interest in the club, and may never talk to on any other subject.

When we're all so isolated these chance meetings and conversations don't take place, hence, for me anyway, interest in football and BCFC in particular is bound to wane.

I don't like modern football, nor do I hanker for City to be promoted - the over riding aim of the club - so it would be easy to lose interest.

However supporting City for me is all about that shared interest with fellow fans forged over many years, something I expect to be gradually resurrected now matches are being played again and most of us are able to get out and about a bit more now.

I wouldn't like to lose that.

Archived