IGNORED

Roy Keane

joe jordans teeth

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, but with Maguire in the centre of our national team’s defence we went further in the World Cup than we have done for 28 years ... as an England centre half Maguire has gone further in the World Cup than Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Gareth Southgate, Martin Keown, John Terry, Ledley King, Jamie Carragher, Gary Cahill, Phil Jagielka, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones etc ... would a clueless oath outstrip that company? 

Let’s break down that World Cup.

- We needed an injury time winner to beat Tunisia.

- We smashed Panama, a League One team at best.

- We lost to Belgium

- We needed penalties to beat Colombia

- We beat a very average Sweden by a couple of goals

- We lost to Croatia

- We lost to Belgium (again)

P7 W3 D1 L3

It was fun, but we weren’t all that. Maguire isn’t fit to lace Rio’s boots.

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Just think he is passionate about football and Man Utd. He did a Q and A session at my sons university earlier this year and you couldn’t meet a nicer person my son said.

Was happy to answer all questions and told some good tales about his time in Football, just think he gets worked up seeing people making mistakes errors. It can’t help if you played under Fergie and there were certain standards you had to comply to to get in the team.

Exactly this. Imo he just expects the basics as a pure minimum, work hard, get close, personal pride, battle, help your teammates. Funnily enough, all the things fans want to see & moan about when they don’t see. You can talk about press triggers, formations, shape, use an interactive screen etc etc. But they don’t matter one bit if you don’t get the basics before that right. I’ve never heard a lot if any of his ex teammates say a bad word about him. They obviously talk about his standards were high, winner, but they also talk about how funny he was, in some ways quiet. Great listen imo. COYR

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

- We lost to Belgium

- We lost to Croatia

P7 W3 D1 L3

I am in a minority to be honest in England but I honestly don't feel Southgate is the right Man. 

Most Managers would have won those games with the England team we had (bar maybe Roy Hodgson or McClaren)

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

- We lost to Belgium

- We lost to Croatia

P7 W3 D1 L3

He’s got a World Cup Semi Final on his CV ... you can only play who you are drawn against ...

51 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He’s got a World Cup Semi Final on his CV ... you can only play who you are drawn against ...

We were drawn against half-decent teams in Belgium and Croatia and lost every time.

Rio has competitive England wins against Germany and Argentina on his CV....and yet still (rightly) that generation are considered to have underachieved. Who has the current generation beaten of note when it really mattered?

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We were drawn against half-decent teams in Belgium and Croatia and lost every time.

Rio has competitive England wins against Germany and Argentina on his CV....and yet still (rightly) that generation are considered to have underachieved. Who has the current generation beaten of note when it really mattered?

I would say that winning a World Cup Quarter Final match is one that “really mattered” ...Harry and his mates did it, Rio didn’t...

Picking out random games from a career isn’t that representative really, players can only play against the opponents that are put in front of them ...but I’d throw in that Harry was part of the England team that beat the Czech Republic 5-0 in European Championship qualifiers and he was also part of the side that won 2-3 away in Spain in the Nations’ League ...

Archived