IGNORED

Can someone explain that team selection to me?

Lez

What was that starting xi about? Appreciate Rowe is a solid but Dasilva on the bench? Not fully fit?

How can we go into this game with just 2 centre midfielders in the squad? Why wasnt even Nagy on the bench?

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

We have usually gone to away games with Diedhiou up too alone for most of this season to keep it tight until 60 minutes.

Not saying it’s right but it is the usual formula.

I suppose the counter argument is we now have Afobe and Wells available.

Just now, Lez said:

I suppose the counter argument is we now have Afobe and Wells available.

Even better to unleash at 60 minutes when its 0-0 I suppose... Wells not fit enough to start anyway. 

That requires everyone to do their jobs properly to keep it 0-0 however.

Personally, I don't agree with it. But I can see the thinking. 

Just now, marcofisher said:

Even better to unleash at 60 minutes when its 0-0 I suppose... Wells not fit enough to start anyway. 

That requires everyone to do their jobs properly to keep it 0-0 however.

Personally, I don't agree with it. But I can see the thinking. 

I can see the thinking but as you say relies us to be at least level.....by the time its 3-1 though 

The plan was keep it tight for an hour, bore Blackburn into submission, quieten the home support (tough place to go is Blackburn) and then bring on our best players to steel the points.

Just now, Kibs said:

The plan was keep it tight for an hour, bore Blackburn into submission, quieten the home support (tough place to go is Blackburn) and then bring on our best players to steel the points.

Yet he brought them on when we are 3 1 down :laugh:

I’m often critical of his selections but today was always going to be difficult.

Henriksen & Nagy obviously aren’t fit. Wells has been injured for 12 days. No Weimann either. I guess he has to go from what he’s seen in training. Having said that, regardless of who was/is unavailable that wasn’t very good. At all.

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's the second half thinking that bothers me more than the first half. We seem to have played 45 minutes without a midfield...

Gaps too big between Defence - Midfield - Attack.....makes closing down so hard.  Felt sorry for Smith and Massengo.

6 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I’m often critical of his selections but today was always going to be difficult.

Henriksen & Nagy obviously aren’t fit. Wells has been injured for 12 days. No Weimann either. I guess he has to go from what he’s seen in training. Having said that, regardless of who was/is unavailable that wasn’t very good. At all.

Nagy has been training all week so I dont see why he was unable to be om the bench.

38 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We have usually gone to away games with Diedhiou up too alone for most of this season to keep it tight until 60 minutes.

Not saying it’s right but it is the usual formula.

In normal times that was where the home crowd are forcing the team on and we can counter,with no home crowd they can just keep the ball and outplay us,these no crowd games our going to major show  our inability to pass the ball

I don’t get why he can’t put our 11 best footballers on the pitch or something close to it. There were at least 2 on the bench that should have been starting. Williams, Afobe and Dasilva all in that category. Think Rowe would have offered more in midfield. 

LJ knows a more than me but imo he isn’t a manager or head coach. He may be amazing on non match days. Hell I will say that is probable but he fails the club, players and us every match day. Us being top 10 was basically down to individual moments. A brownhill screamer, an Eliasson cross or a bentley save. We have not look assured all season. Maybe pre Afobe injury we looked a solid outfit. Since then not at all

I sympathise with the striker situation as to why we only had Fam upfront, Andi obviously unavailable, Nahki 12 days set back with an injury in last couple of weeks, Benik apart from in house/Southampton hasn't played in about 8 months, after his injury it'd be a slow introduction usually so I imagine the plan was for him to always come off the bench to see how he got on. 

I cant understand how we have gone from a good attacking side that had the cup run and was playing well in the league to the defence dross we are watching now.its like lee has lost faith and trust in his own players and for some reason put players on the bench that most of us would have in the 11.

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

That surprises me then because LJ said Vyner was on the bench as a midfielder. Bizarre. I expect nothing less mind.

Vyner has to be in the squad cos home grown....but surely with benkovic on bench nagy should be there ahead of William's......3 CBS and no cm crazy !!!

I believe that the squad we have looks very strong - on paper. Managing anything is always about making the most of the assets that you have your disposal. Time and again we seem to come up short of our potential and today is just yet another example.

Deja vu again....

7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

In normal times that was where the home crowd are forcing the team on and we can counter,with no home crowd they can just keep the ball and outplay us,these no crowd games our going to major show  our inability to pass the ball

As on another thread i've started, I don't personally think we have the personnel in central midfield. 

Archived