IGNORED

Can someone explain that team selection to me?

Lez

1 minute ago, Lez said:

Vyner has to be in the squad cos home grown....but surely with benkovic on bench nagy should be there ahead of William's......3 CBS and no cm crazy !!!

Yeah I gathered that about Vyner. But as you say 3 cbs is crazy! Even if he left Hunt out Vyner could play RB so makes no sense. Trying to second guess LJ is impossible but I can only assume he based that starting line up on who has been the fittest?

21 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Lets face it we have too many players and the sooner we have a squad of 18 or 20 max the sooner Johnson will stop pissing around

Gone from needing different clubs to having too many in the bag.

39 minutes ago, forestofdean said:

I cant understand how we have gone from a good attacking side that had the cup run and was playing well in the league to the defence dross we are watching now.its like lee has lost faith and trust in his own players and for some reason put players on the bench that most of us would have in the 11.

That cup run spell the team picked itself due to injury so he couldn't tinker every game, guess they got used to playing with each other and no big man to lump it up to. Our form went when Fam came back and he started to do his usual tombola selection as many call it on here. He goes on about picking players he can trust but do the players trust him? 

2 hours ago, forestofdean said:

I cant understand how we have gone from a good attacking side that had the cup run and was playing well in the league to the defence dross we are watching now.its like lee has lost faith and trust in his own players and for some reason put players on the bench that most of us would have in the 11.

1 hour ago, paul_fox said:

That cup run spell the team picked itself due to injury so he couldn't tinker every game, guess they got used to playing with each other and no big man to lump it up to. Our form went when Fam came back and he started to do his usual tombola selection as many call it on here. He goes on about picking players he can trust but do the players trust him? 

That team and Cup run had two phases. We had a shit load of at varied times injuries (hmm, nothing new there) under LJ. Actually we seemed to mix it up quite a bit, sometimes Leko out wide, sometimes Brownhill- sometimes O'Dowda- and less ofgten but on occasion even Eliasson!

Early season or the first 2-3 months we often had:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Baker Bryan

Brownhill Smith Pack Paterson

Reid Diedhiou

That was good but it had certain limitations too. Woodrow as well could come in- think the most often starters were Fielding, Flint, Bryan, Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Paterson and Reid? When I say it had limitations it certainly wasn't poor to watch but technically and tactically I preferred the side when we had a lot out!

Then injuries struck and we had to field a certain team- and this team was lovely and fluid while still holding a solid base:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Paterson

Reid 

This was after Diedhiou, then Djuric- latterly O'Dowda to name 3 but I am sure it was 2-3 times this, got injured! That second side was not only lovely and fluid but it was hard to play through as well- first team could be a bit easy to perhaps burst through the centre, especially if say Leko and O'Dowda in wide areas, or to push back the wing backs. That second side for a time though had it all.

Wright could tuck inside to help when necessary in central areas. So too could Magnússon if say the left central side being targeted.

Brownhill on one hand could protect his flank- but on another help to regain some semblance of control centrally. Paterson in such a midfield could drop back- play him as a '10' or not at all I think. Thought this two years ago and my view hasn't changed an awful lot since! Reid of course could press both up top but also drop back into midfield- again suddenly a 4-6-0, and opposition cannot play through or cannot exert control, or if they do it's with great difficulty!

Also possible though less easy is the idea that in-game one of Wright or Magnússon- I'll say Magnússon- can tuck in and make a back 3, with Wright and Bryan not quite as wing backs but I dunno- wide defenders, narrower full backs- some hybrid? 3-5-1-1, or 3-6-1- again hard to play through, yet some control over the game too.

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's the second half thinking that bothers me more than the first half. We seem to have played 45 minutes without a midfield...

Yep.  100% Not sure why people are going on about the starting team.  We were 1-0 up after 35 minutes.  Problem was in the heart of defence, weak keeping and then substitutions...

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That team and Cup run had two phases. We had a shit load of at varied times injuries (hmm, nothing new there) under LJ. Actually we seemed to mix it up quite a bit, sometimes Leko out wide, sometimes Brownhill- sometimes O'Dowda- and less ofgten but on occasion even Eliasson!

Early season or the first 2-3 months we often had:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Baker Bryan

Brownhill Smith Pack Paterson

Reid Diedhiou

That was good but it had certain limitations too. Woodrow as well could come in- think the most often starters were Fielding, Flint, Bryan, Brownhill, Smith, Pack, Paterson and Reid? When I say it had limitations it certainly wasn't poor to watch but technically and tactically I preferred the side when we had a lot out!

Then injuries struck and we had to field a certain team- and this team was lovely and fluid while still holding a solid base:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Paterson

Reid 

This was after Diedhiou, then Djuric- latterly O'Dowda to name 3 but I am sure it was 2-3 times this, got injured! That second side was not only lovely and fluid but it was hard to play through as well- first team could be a bit easy to perhaps burst through the centre, especially if say Leko and O'Dowda in wide areas, or to push back the wing backs. That second side for a time though had it all.

Wright could tuck inside to help when necessary in central areas. So too could Magnússon if say the left central side being targeted.

Brownhill on one hand could protect his flank- but on another help to regain some semblance of control centrally. Paterson in such a midfield could drop back- play him as a '10' or not at all I think. Thought this two years ago and my view hasn't changed an awful lot since! Reid of course could press both up top but also drop back into midfield- again suddenly a 4-6-0, and opposition cannot play through or cannot exert control, or if they do it's with great difficulty!

Also possible though less easy is the idea that in-game one of Wright or Magnússon- I'll say Magnússon- can tuck in and make a back 3, with Wright and Bryan not quite as wing backs but I dunno- wide defenders, narrower full backs- some hybrid? 3-5-1-1, or 3-6-1- again hard to play through, yet some control over the game too.

I had a similar conversation with a mate earlier about the 2nd team.  He was forced into it though, No choice.

LJ has shown time and time again that he cannot think clearly when he has choice.  He is a coach. Give him 12 players and he will get the most out of them with a settled formation.  He's a number 2.  A Steve MacLaren....

3 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Multiple promotions and cups on FM 

This happens in almost every game. He rarely gets his starting line up right 

Only on FM???

No experience in the real game?

Still I can't understand why you haven't be headhunted!

:dunno:

16 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's the second half thinking that bothers me more than the first half. We seem to have played 45 minutes without a midfield...

Yes, I agree LB. For all the talk of the starting line up, the bench being better than the starting XI, how can we leave xx on the bench and so on, I thought we were more effective first 30 minutes than we were the last 30 minutes. 

Archived