IGNORED

Brownhill

Jeez

35 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Should never have sold him in Jan without signing a like for like replacement or bringing a CM back from loan.

No presence in the centre today

He wanted to go? You don't keep players who want to leave. Got good money and he got premier League football. 

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Weirdly nobody particularly cared when he left 

Weirdly no one cared when Pack left. 
Oh boy are we crying out for him now - pleeeeeeaaaasse, someone just receive a short pass from our defenders and be able to keep it. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Oh boy are we crying out for him now - pleeeeeeaaaasse, someone just receive a short pass from our defenders and be able to keep it. 

Why do that when we can lob the ball 60 yards upfield into no mans land. Giving possession back to the opposition so they can build another meaningful attack against us.

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Why do that when we can lob the ball 60 yards upfield into no mans land. Giving possession back to the opposition so they can build another meaningful attack against us.

Exactly. We do that because there’s no midfielder who can receive the ball and retain it under pressure. No one has any confidence playing a pass into a tight midfield area, so they lump it. 
We are a long ball team because we have no midfield, but we don’t actually have the attributes to be a long ball team either! 

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly. We do that because there’s no midfielder who can receive the ball and retain it under pressure. No one has any confidence playing a pass into a tight midfield area, so they lump it. 
We are a long ball team because we have no midfield, but we don’t actually have the attributes to be a long ball team either! 

Playing Smith on his own 2nd half was a nonsense- well I say on his own but with 2 wingers/wide players- whatever you want to call them, in and around him- mess waiting to happen.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Don’t go reading any threads that suggest Vyner is the answer then....won’t be good for your health mate. ?

We seem to have been caught between two stools today....set up to play it short, but then play it long....leaving Smith and Massengo to try to make up 40-50 yards as the ball dropped into space, where it was inevitably recycled by Blackburn’s midfield.  Our two international ambition wingers stood marking their fullbacks.  They’ve got to come off their touch lines and make us compact so that if we don’t pick up the dropping ball, we don’t give solid possession straight back.  Massengo and Smith have got to leave it to Baker and Kalas to launch it, if that’s how we are gonna play.

I’m sure I could’ve just copy and pasted a similar post from 3 or 6 months ago.

What was today’s game plan with the team selected?  It certainly wasn’t executed.  Players need to hold hands up more than LJ today in terms of how we played pre-any subs.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

He wanted to go? You don't keep players who want to leave. Got good money and he got premier League football. 

How can you be so sure?

Was it not more a case of the club earning an extra 1m plus leverage to sign Wells? 

I get he’d want to increase his salary & play in the prem but, given his role as captain I can’t believe he was so desperate to escape & if he was we need to surely ask why - when he must have known he’d be bench player at most.

38 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

How can you be so sure?

Was it not more a case of the club earning an extra 1m plus leverage to sign Wells? 

I get he’d want to increase his salary & play in the prem but, given his role as captain I can’t believe he was so desperate to escape & if he was we need to surely ask why - when he must have known he’d be bench player at most.

Is this a joke?

Should never have sold Pack. LJ and Ashton must have known there was a chance we’d lose Brownhill in Jan yet they sold Pack and replaced him with an unknown in championship football. Nagy has turned out to be homesick, inconsistent and half injured for most of the season.

Our weakness in the middle of the park is the key to our failure to kick on this season. The fact that ODowda ended up there today says it all.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Weirdly nobody particularly cared when he left 

Actually at the time I said we'd really miss him. Considering we had him and Pack flogged to death the previous season we have had so many different combinations this season.

I don't blame LJ for selling him or engineering good money for Marlon, that's down to Ashton and the board.

Equally, Ashton and the board would've known the possibility of JB leaving so should've had a ready made replacement lined up and not the stop gap Henriksen has looked like.

Where LJ is at fault is not getting the coaching combinations right and utilising the assets at his disposal.

It looks like our pants have been taken down.

Paradoxically for LJ the key to the midfield conundrum may lie in the loaned midfield players now at his disposal.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the likes of the talented Joe Morrell saves our season and with it LJ his job.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I thought Blackburn worked out that if you allow Baker to have the ball and cut off his options he will lump it long and aimlessly...

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I thought Blackburn worked out that if you allow Baker to have the ball and cut off his options he will lump it long and aimlessly...

Certainly will. Good tactics by them and a reason I'm unsure about Baker in the side- don't think he's a great fit for a higher line either.

32 minutes ago, Swede said:

Actually at the time I said we'd really miss him. Considering we had him and Pack flogged to death the previous season we have had so many different combinations this season.

I don't blame LJ for selling him or engineering good money for Marlon, that's down to Ashton and the board.

Equally, Ashton and the board would've known the possibility of JB leaving so should've had a ready made replacement lined up and not the stop gap Henriksen has looked like.

Where LJ is at fault is not getting the coaching combinations right and utilising the assets at his disposal.

Paradoxically for LJ the key to the midfield conundrum may lie in the loaned midfield players now at his disposal.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the likes of the talented Joe Morrell saves our season and with it LJ his job.

While Walsh and Morrell may well be better than the current bunch, they don’t provide height or physicality to a team that rapidly is becoming full of ‘mini-me’ midgets. 

We have serious problems in a powder-puff midfield.

Maximum two ‘lightweights’ in any team in this League - that’ll be Dasilva and Elliason for me - any more and you’ll get rolled over by more teams with more presence.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

He does it against the other 22 teams as well though ?

6 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Should never have sold him in Jan without signing a like for like replacement or bringing a CM back from loan.

No presence in the centre today

I think realistically the chance to play in the Prem and move back closer to home was way too good for JB to not pursue. I think it was also difficult for the club to stand in his way. JB was clearly a great pro and would have given his all but once a player wants to leave it's not a good idea to keep them.

The main issue was we didn't replace him. Well we did. Just with a player we have now released. Yet we are often told we always have a wealth of targets in mind for any eventuality and look to identify good people as well as good players....

5 hours ago, Harry said:

The irony is that our manager was a central midfielder, but he can’t see it!

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The irony is that our manager was a central midfielder, but he can’t see it!

That’s the perfect set up for a heightist joke about our coach and being caught short. You find me dropping to those depths....

3 hours ago, Swede said:

We'll have to wait for it to be next season thats saved in this case

Archived