IGNORED

Brownhill

Jeez

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

While Walsh and Morrell may well be better than the current bunch, they don’t provide height or physicality to a team that rapidly is becoming full of ‘mini-me’ midgets. 

We have serious problems in a powder-puff midfield.

Maximum two ‘lightweights’ in any team in this League - that’ll be Dasilva and Elliason for me - any more and you’ll get rolled over by more teams with more presence.

I don't know how well that holds. Will pick a side and then do our equivalents in brackets next to it. As in who played today or started.

Brentford

Raya- 6 ft (Bentley 6 ft 2).

Dalsgaard- 6 ft 3/4 (Pereira 6 ft/6 ft 1)

Jansson- 6 ft 4  (Kalas 6 ft)

Pinnock- 6 ft 1/6 ft 2 (Baker- 6 ft 2)

Henry- 5 ft 6/ 5 ft 7 (Rowe 5 ft 10/11)

Jensen 5 ft 8 (Massengo 5 ft 8/ 9)

Norgaard 6 ft/ 6 ft 1 (Smith 6 ft)

DaSilva 6 ft (O'Dowda 5 ft 10/ 11)

Fosu-Henry 5 ft 10/ 11 (Eliasson 5 ft 9)

Watkins 5 ft 10/ 5 ft 11 (Paterson 5 ft 8/ 5 ft 9)

Benrahma 5 ft 7/ 5 ft 8 (Diedhiou 6 ft 3/ 6 ft 4)

Not a huge amount of difference in profile, taken as a whole. Height wise.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't know how well that holds. Will pick a side and then do our equivalents in brackets next to it. As in who played today or started.

Brentford

Raya- 6 ft (Bentley 6 ft 2).

Dalsgaard- 6 ft 3/4 (Pereira 6 ft/6 ft 1)

Jansson- 6 ft 4  (Kalas 6 ft)

Pinnock- 6 ft 1/6 ft 2 (Baker- 6 ft 2)

Henry- 5 ft 6/ 5 ft 7 (Rowe 5 ft 10/11)

Jensen 5 ft 8 (Massengo 5 ft 8/ 9)

Norgaard 6 ft/ 6 ft 1 (Smith 6 ft)

DaSilva 6 ft (O'Dowda 5 ft 10/ 11)

Fosu-Henry 5 ft 10/ 11 (Eliasson 5 ft 9)

Watkins 5 ft 10/ 5 ft 11 (Paterson 5 ft 8/ 5 ft 9)

Benrahma 5 ft 7/ 5 ft 8 (Diedhiou 6 ft 3/ 6 ft 4)

Not a huge amount of difference in profile, taken as a whole. Height wise.

If Korey Smith is 6ft i'll eat my hat. 

13 hours ago, Harry said:

Weirdly no one cared when Pack left. 
Oh boy are we crying out for him now - pleeeeeeaaaasse, someone just receive a short pass from our defenders and be able to keep it. 

No we’re not . We’re crying out for a consistent shape , a spine of a first team and a coach who knows what he’s doing .

Brownhill leaving was a big loss but we can’t bemoan the club for that. We WILL lose our best players as we’ve seen with Webster, Kelly, Reid, Bryan etc.

My bigger frustration, as I’ve outlined above, is the players we didn’t have to sell. Keeping Pack would have helped bridge the gap when JB left and given us some essential experience throughout the season in the middle of the park.

We failed again in January. Not replacing Pack and Brownhill with adequate replacements as Nagy had failed to deliver. Should’ve brought both Walsh and Morrell back. One was getting rave reviews  and has just walked away with every award from the league one champions whilst the other was keeping Aaron Ramsey of Juventus out of the Wales side and yet we couldn’t find a way to use him here. Instead, we are now left with the thought that somehow Vyner may be used there because he looked good in training. We train against ourselves so no wonder it looks easy. 

6 hours ago, keynshamred said:

While we carry on season after season selling out best players we will never go up. The teams that get promoted never get rid of there top performers. This is why i feel for Johnson. The club needs to stand firm and keep them when under contract. 

That's debateable, and then you have to factor in FFP and parachute payments- however I do think Brownhill may well have been worth keeping- goals from midfield, could link between the midfield and attack- say he had played central in the '3' of a 4-2-3-1, versatile and energy. Decent technically too and not yet at peak.

On the flipside, how long was left on his deal? Seem to remember something vaguely about a clause and it is also worth noting that no Brownhill sale=no Wells.

Arguments for and against.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's debateable, and then you have to factor in FFP and parachute payments- however I do think Brownhill may well have been worth keeping- goals from midfield, could link between the midfield and attack- say he had played central in the '3' of a 4-2-3-1, versatile and energy. Decent technically too and not yet at peak.

On the flipside, how long was left on his deal? Seem to remember something vaguely about a clause and it is also worth noting that no Brownhill sale=no Wells.

Arguments for and against.

Allegedly Brownhill had a clause in his contract that said that with one year left he could go for £7m.

City allegedly cashed in by getting a better deal (with add-ons) for selling him with 18 months left.  It sweetened the Wells deal too.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Allegedly Brownhill had a clause in his contract that said that with one year left he could go for £7m.

City allegedly cashed in by getting a better deal (with add-ons) for selling him with 18 months left.  It sweetened the Wells deal too.

Thanks Dave.

That's what I was trhinking of- and what with how the market might get hit by Covid, it's looking a very useful decision in some ways. All about tradeoffs- some of the criticism by people on here is with hindsight a bit- in Jan, we had no idea season would be delayed by 3 months, that in fact all came quite suddenly- getting Wells back then seemed a must- still could, but Afobe was extremely unlikely to get any meaningful gametime and it seemed a reasonable decision- and given his record at QPR (still might have preferred Vydra personally had be been available)- I think people were pretty happy with business done- wouldn't have objected to keeping Brownhill though!

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We’ve missed Brownhill, but we should’ve gained from Wells, Henriksen, Benkovic.

We have gained....an increased wage bill albeit short term for three players instead of 1 ! And you are right we seen very little back on these investments.

5 hours ago, Midred said:

It's always a case of "be careful what you wish for!" 

Many on here thought both Pack and Brownhill were a waste of space!

They don’t know what they’re watching, then.

Pack was a mainstay of our midfield for years & certainly hasn’t traded down in leaving us, whilst Brownhill has joined a club in The Prem that is light years ahead of us.

I wasn’t on here at the time but was totally baffled by the Pack sale, Brownhill going was unavoidable but the total mess we have made of replacing him certainly was.

59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

They don’t know what they’re watching, then.

Pack was a mainstay of our midfield for years & certainly hasn’t traded down in leaving us, whilst Brownhill has joined a club in The Prem that is light years ahead of us.

I wasn’t on here at the time but was totally baffled by the Pack sale, Brownhill going was unavoidable but the total mess we have made of replacing him certainly was.

It just goes to prove how fickle some of the fans are! A player or coach can go from hero to villain and back to hero in a very shorrt time. Imagine how it would go for Johnson if we won sufficient game to get into the playoffs and then lost in the final!

50 minutes ago, shelts said:

While he was ours I thought he was a little overhyped by some of ours and now he’s gone I see very clearly what he brought to the team . Not been replaced . As z already our best players will always be sold on 

The goals from midfield aside, I think we brought in players to compensate for his losses- Henriksen, commanding midfielder, Benkovic can bring ball out from back and Wells goals at QPR.

Fact they haven't been utlised correctly isn't on them- though Brownhill certainly had his strengths, could go central, could go right and he did give us some goals from midfield.

That said, he had hit his or equalled his goals for a season in November v Cardiff- would've been interesting to see how it would have progressed here.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Josh played very well against Man City for us.

I expect deep 2 banks of 4 and about 20% possession for Burnley!

Burnley playing quite a few young/fringe players. Pep's had the rotation machine in full swing as well. Feels a bit like a mulligan for both teams.

Archived