Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

They don’t know what they’re watching, then.

Pack was a mainstay of our midfield for years & certainly hasn’t traded down in leaving us, whilst Brownhill has joined a club in The Prem that is light years ahead of us.

I wasn’t on here at the time but was totally baffled by the Pack sale, Brownhill going was unavoidable but the total mess we have made of replacing him certainly was.

They were so underrated at times because they were often exhausted. Last season they both started something silly like 45 league games, and rightfully looked leggy at the busy points of the season considering they were often just started in a 2. They often found themselves on the receiving end of criticism at these points, when it was very clear that they needed rotation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The situation at Burnley is worth keeping an eye on.

Some big names out of contract at the end of the month and not signing extensions, which means they aren't being considered for selection. A few injuries as well which means that they only have 7 subs named tonight, including 2 keepers and some youngsters, which many are interpreting as Dyche making a point to the board, ala Cotterill with us, and there's growing speculation that he won't be there next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

The situation at Burnley is worth keeping an eye on.

Some big names out of contract at the end of the month and not signing extensions, which means they aren't being considered for selection. A few injuries as well which means that they only have 7 subs named tonight, including 2 keepers and some youngsters, which many are interpreting as Dyche making a point to the board, ala Cotterill with us, and there's growing speculation that he won't be there next season.

Boy do we have a "Yes" man for them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The situation at Burnley is worth keeping an eye on.

Some big names out of contract at the end of the month and not signing extensions, which means they aren't being considered for selection. A few injuries as well which means that they only have 7 subs named tonight, including 2 keepers and some youngsters, which many are interpreting as Dyche making a point to the board, ala Cotterill with us, and there's growing speculation that he won't be there next season.

Stop it. Stop it. Dyche won't come to us. Stop sowing seeds of hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

They were so underrated at times because they were often exhausted. Last season they both started something silly like 45 league games, and rightfully looked leggy at the busy points of the season considering they were often just started in a 2. They often found themselves on the receiving end of criticism at these points, when it was very clear that they needed rotation.

Think an, and yes I'm a bit of a broken record on this, a third man in there- say Walsh, a fully fit Smith or even Hegeler would have eased the strain a bit.

Quite often they would've been doing the work of 3, at least what they were up against. Paterson is good but more of an attacking mid mid. All ifs and buts now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/06/2020 at 17:33, marcofisher said:

Yep, I did find it peculiar that nobody thought we would miss our only centre mid who could find the net. 

I miss the Brownhill we had before December. Was awful at that point afterwords and just felt like it was the end. Problem is we’ve failed to replace him with Henriksen who played well v Derby but been disappointing other than that game

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/06/2020 at 17:30, And Its Smith said:

Weirdly nobody particularly cared when he left 

Be assured........I Did.  Brownhill is an excellent midfield player who scores goals and works  hard.   He deserves to play Premiership football, I wish he had not left, but understand why he did.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Stop it. Stop it. Dyche won't come to us. Stop sowing seeds of hope.

You’re right, he won’t.

He never misses a chance to have a bit of a pop at us following his awful spell here as a player.

I reckon we’d comfortably be in the bottom six sides in our division that he would like to manage.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

cough cough....marlon pack cough cough...….

I see there is a lot of love on here now for Marlon.

Now I thought he was a decent player. Pass the ball, play with his head up and put in a tackle when needed. but like most players we have he was limited. One of those players caught between two stools, had the skill and vision to create chances when played further up the pitch but when things break down doesn't have the pace to get back to a recovery position.

Another player that when he's left and were playing Shit people miss.

Don't know if he's fit but he was on the bench for Cardiff. If you ask me would we be any better with Pack still here? 

Yeah maybe we might finish 9th  instead of 10th. anyway doesn't a matter a jot under this manager as the best we can hope for is to tread water.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He came on later on but Flint was left on the bench!

7 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

I see there is a lot of love on here now for Marlon.

Now I thought he was a decent player. Pass the ball, play with his head up and put in a tackle when needed. but like most players we have he was limited. One of those players caught between two stools, had the skill and vision to create chances when played further up the pitch but when things break down doesn't have the pace to get back to a recovery position.

Another player that when he's left and were playing Shit people miss.

Don't know if he's fit but he was on the bench for Cardiff. If you ask me would we be any better with Pack still here? 

Yeah maybe we might finish 9th  instead of 10th. anyway doesn't a matter a jot under this manager as the best we can hope for is to tread water.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

They were so underrated at times because they were often exhausted. Last season they both started something silly like 45 league games, and rightfully looked leggy at the busy points of the season considering they were often just started in a 2. They often found themselves on the receiving end of criticism at these points, when it was very clear that they needed rotation.

I don’t think they were underrated, I would say more “difficult to replace” than both LJ and the fans expected.

You are right about last season...Walsh picked up injuries and Morrell was underused...even if it meant keeping Brownhill in the line up but easing his workload by maybe playing him right side in and out. I think Pack’s role was less expansive, I didn’t really see him as fatigued like he was in 17/18.

My criticism of Pack, wasn’t that critical if him per se, more that LJ has stifled him, and we didn’t see the same Marlon as 17/18 when he could run the midfield.  LJ changed our style after we got thumped away at WBA, and Pack was never the same.  He wasn’t bad or anything like that, just not the level of the previous season, and it affected us as an attacking unit.

I do think a lot of our team issues are down to LJ’s rigidity in patterns of play.

I’d just let them go out and play (within reason).  They all have ability.

I can certainly imagine some players listening to LJ and thinking “what the eff, why can’t we do what comes naturally”.

I recall him do that training video thing last summer with the Pack “no look pass”, and everyone thinking he’d taught Marlon it.  Marlon was doing that for Cheltenham years before.

I digressed a bit.

Marlon is only just 29....I think we got rid of too early....maybe he wanted a new challenge, a bigger pay packet?  I dunno, but he was a good player....I will never say he wasn’t.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d just let them go out and play (within reason).  They all have ability.

I can certainly imagine some players listening to LJ and thinking “what the eff, why can’t we do what comes naturally”.

Exactly what I was getting at when I said our players should be allowed to shoot from range. All part of freeing them up.

Brownhill ended up having a tough game today. Even Man City's B team can thump anyone and that Burnley side just weren't in it. He was quiet as a result, played at RM and couldn't do much at all. I hope he gets some slack from the Burnley fans.

Pack was, and is, a solid Championship CM. Can't shoot for toffee but has a great range of passing and can play 50 games a season. At times with us he looked flogged, shackled, and perhaps jaded. Clearly could still be playing for us.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing well tonight. Getting plaudits from Ali McCoist on his shackling of Wilfred Zaha.

Got elbowed in the face by Jordan Ayew. Went to VAR for possible Red card, but not given. Suspect Ayew may yet be given a retrospective ban. Certainly Dermot Gallagher thought it should be a RED. Just blasted a great chance over the bar🤣

Edited by E.G.Red
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Doing well tonight. Getting plaudits from Ali McCoist on his shackling of Wilfred Zaha.

Got elbowed in the face by Jordan Ayew. Went to VAR for possible Red card, but not given. Suspect Ayew may yet be given a retrospective ban. Certainly Dermot Gallagher thought it should be a RED. Just blasted a great chance over the bar🤣

Ayew deserved a red. Was that McCoist co commentating ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...