IGNORED

Good news regarding Liam Walsh

ExiledAjax

Walsh has just swept up at Coventry's end of season awards. 

"The Bristol City midfielder was named the club's young player of the year, players' player of the year and left the promotion party with the goal of the season award.

Walsh said: "It's been a great season. It is not as we would have all liked it to finish but just the fact that we have got the title confirmed and won the league, much better than finishing second, it is a very proud moment."

"I wanted to get a lot out of this season and play a lot of minutes to show everyone what I could do, especially my home club, Bristol.

"Robins has given me a lot of minutes and I have to thank them for that."

Robins added: "Liam's performances speak for themselves. The team have been outstanding and his performances have been equally outstanding.

"He has played great passes through and scored goals. He just clicked with his teammates and as they clicked they started to look really dangerous and started to climb the table."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/fankaty-dabo-player-awards-season-18459950

Get him back at AG next season and give him a proper chance to shine?

20 minutes ago, 77 punk said:

i think mark robins could be our next manager

I don’t disagree Gus, but “next” could be bloody years away! And isn't it a bit of the old safe, old boys, thing? Maybe we need a left field appointment rather than the same nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I don’t disagree Gus, but “next” could be bloody years away! And isn't it a bit of the old safe, old boys, thing? Maybe we need a left field appointment rather than the same nonsense. 

I think Mciness was the left field appt and that might have put SL off for life.

6 minutes ago, Lez said:

I think Mciness was the left field appt and that might have put SL off for life.

Nor really left field though.....decent playing career and a successful Scottish manager with a promotion on his cv taking St. Johnstone into the SPL.

Left field was appointing a young manager with limited experience having only managed 2 teams in League One and hadn't even achieved a top half finish with either,  and a playing career that covered just 24 games where he was picked to play by a manager other than his own father. THAT was left field.

The Lansdown's family record in managerial appointments is dire with a success rate of 1 in 7. Cotts was Keith Dawe's choice and of the 7 chosen by the Lansdowns only GJ actually won a promotion or achieved a top 6 finish. As we know Tinnnion Millen Coppell SOD McInnes and LJ can all be classed as fails by varying degrees with LJ's bang for buck ratio being by far the worst .

Let's hope someone else picks the next one

5 minutes ago, jambodinho said:

Why would Robins leave Coventry for us? Bigger club than us and will be playing at the same level next year? It’s at best a sidewards step for him. 

Bigger club than us? maybe 30 years ago, they play in a rented stadium, haven't got there own ground and the last time I looked were in dire financial straights, we have our own ground one of the best in the Championship a billionaire chairmen and a squad of players Coventry city could only dream about, sideways move?

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

Bigger club than us? maybe 30 years ago, they play in a rented stadium, haven't got there own ground and the last time I looked were in dire financial straights, we have our own ground one of the best in the Championship a billionaire chairmen and a squad of players Coventry city could only dream about, sideways move?

A squad of players Coventry City could only dream about ???

Clearly you didn’t manage to catch today’s stream

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

A squad of players Coventry City could only dream about ???

Clearly you didn’t manage to catch today’s stream

Well yes today was crap but I'm talking more potentially, maybe with the right formation tactics etc.

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Walsh has just swept up at Coventry's end of season awards. 

"The Bristol City midfielder was named the club's young player of the year, players' player of the year and left the promotion party with the goal of the season award.

Walsh said: "It's been a great season. It is not as we would have all liked it to finish but just the fact that we have got the title confirmed and won the league, much better than finishing second, it is a very proud moment."

"I wanted to get a lot out of this season and play a lot of minutes to show everyone what I could do, especially my home club, Bristol.

"Robins has given me a lot of minutes and I have to thank them for that."

Robins added: "Liam's performances speak for themselves. The team have been outstanding and his performances have been equally outstanding.

"He has played great passes through and scored goals. He just clicked with his teammates and as they clicked they started to look really dangerous and started to climb the table."

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/fankaty-dabo-player-awards-season-18459950

Get him back at AG next season and give him a proper chance to shine?

And bring Robins with him .

15 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Get him back to Ashton Gate along with Mark Robins!

15 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Appoint Robins as manager, knows how to win promotion, playing good football on a budget.

14 hours ago, 77 punk said:

i think mark robins could be our next manager

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

And bring Robins with him .

I don't know enough about Robins, and haven't watched enough of Coventry to know how he really sets a team up. However I do know that doing it in League 1 doesn't necessarily equate to being able to do it in the Champ.

Other than the sheer joy of having Robins managing the Robins does anyone have any reasons why Robins would be able to get our players playing properly? Why would he be a good fit other than the fact he's won promotion from League 1?

Let's try to not slag off our current manager. We're all well aware of his faults and they are being discussed at great length on many other threads.

@harvey54 You can say exactly the same about Paul Warne at Rotherham, or about the managers of Swindon, Crewe and Plymouth. All have won promotion this season, presumably to do so you have to play good football, and all will have utilised a modest lower league budget. What is it about Robins that makes him a particularly attractive fit for our club and squad? 

I am not trying to start an argument, I am genuinely interested in the reasons behind the statements in this thread.

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

He's not Lee Johnson I think is the only logical answer. 

Yes I think you are right. 

However he also has a slew of trophies has experience as a manager with a current promotion campaign that got the best out of Walsh to the point he swept all of the awards and is widely recognized as league 1s best player. 

LJ has a track record of spending money on players that sit on the bench, of not developing players, of poor decision making and tactics and producing utter dross football at home. 

however LJ v MR really is about MR IS NOT LJ as you could apply this rationale to a lot of managers!

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Yes I think you are right. 

However he also has a slew of trophies has experience as a manager with a current promotion campaign that got the best out of Walsh to the point he swept all of the awards and is widely recognized as league 1s best player. 

LJ has a track record of spending money on players that sit on the bench, of not developing players, of poor decision making and tactics and producing utter dross football at home. 

however LJ v MR really is about MR IS NOT LJ as you could apply this rationale to a lot of managers!

He may have some trophies from his time as a player at Man Utd, but as a manager he has three. League 1 this season, the EFL Trophy from a few years back and then one for winning the league 2 play-offs in 17/18...do we count a play-off trophy as a real trophy? Granted it's a more impressive cabinet than Johnson's, but it's not really a 'slew'. It's also all been achieved at a lower level than we are currently at.

Reading up on Robins' managerial career he has predominately been a League 1 manager. Admittedly he has generally done very well in that division, particularly in his time at Rotherham and in both spells with Coventry. In League 1 he has impressive win % stats that are well into the high 40% range, during his initial spell at Cov he won a very remarkable 51% of games.

His time in the Championship is less illustrious. Two spells, one with Barnsley 2009-11 and one with Huddersfield 2013-15. Both those spells saw him suffer, and he struggled to get win % much above 30 (LJ currently sits on 39% with us). No trophies or even promotion challenges at that level.

I understand the "anyone but Johnson" argument, and Robins may well be worth a punt. However, the CV suggests that he might struggle to get us to the level we are aiming for. I am not convinced Robins would be the answer to our woes.

Archived