IGNORED

Good news regarding Liam Walsh

ExiledAjax

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He may have some trophies from his time as a player at Man Utd, but as a manager he has three. League 1 this season, the EFL Trophy from a few years back and then one for winning the league 2 play-offs in 17/18...do we count a play-off trophy as a real trophy? Granted it's a more impressive cabinet than Johnson's, but it's not really a 'slew'. It's also all been achieved at a lower level than we are currently at.

Reading up on Robins' managerial career he has predominately been a League 1 manager. Admittedly he has generally done very well in that division, particularly in his time at Rotherham and in both spells with Coventry. In League 1 he has impressive win % stats that are well into the high 40% range, during his initial spell at Cov he won a very remarkable 51% of games.

His time in the Championship is less illustrious. Two spells, one with Barnsley 2009-11 and one with Huddersfield 2013-15. Both those spells saw him suffer, and he struggled to get win % much above 30 (LJ currently sits on 39% with us). No trophies or even promotion challenges at that level.

I understand the "anyone but Johnson" argument, and Robins may well be worth a punt. However, the CV suggests that he might struggle to get us to the level we are aiming for. I am not convinced Robins would be the answer to our woes.

Slew was more of a reference to his playing career at top level. Fa cups, Super cups league cups etc. a player that has done a lot at top level and was once the pick to come here as manager by at least one in the boardroom. 

My point was slightly obscured because I agreed with the premise, which was, many shout anything as long as it’s not Johnson. However LJ has to improve drastically very soon or SL and the board will need to make some decisions. If that decision was Robins in and LJ gone then I wouldn’t be upset.

A bloke who has fed off scraps as a player and a manager, achieving trophies, while we have a bloke who has achieved nothing with multi millions and one Scottish league cup as a player resorting To hump it up to the bloke that looks a bit like Dele Adebola. 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Slew was more of a reference to his playing career at top level. Fa cups, Super cups league cups etc. a player that has done a lot at top level and was once the pick to come here as manager by at least one in the boardroom. 

My point was slightly obscured because I agreed with the premise, which was, many shout anything as long as it’s not Johnson. However LJ has to improve drastically very soon or SL and the board will need to make some decisions. If that decision was Robins in and LJ gone then I wouldn’t be upset.

A bloke who has fed off scraps as a player and a manager, achieving trophies, while we have a bloke who has achieved nothing with multi millions and one Scottish league cup as a player resorting To hump it up to the bloke that looks a bit like Dele Adebola. 

Firstly. Let's not drag the good name of Dele Adebola into this mucky conversation.

Joking aside, I guess we're in broad agreement. As I say Robins may well be worth a punt. I'd just be very cautious of anyone hailing him as a Messiah who would inevitably get us comfortably into the top 6. His record suggests otherwise.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Firstly. Let's not drag the good name of Dele Adebola into this mucky conversation.

Joking aside, I guess we're in broad agreement. As I say Robins may well be worth a punt. I'd just be very cautious of anyone hailing him as a Messiah who would inevitably get us comfortably into the top 6. His record suggests otherwise.

Agree completely. I will go as far as to say he may not be the messiah, but he could be a very naughty boy!

I am still not sure about Walsh I think he may have found his level where he can look a star in league 1 but doesn't have the pace or strong enough to do it in the championship, I hope this time at Coventry has helped him and he can prove me wrong, but would be suprised if her got the match time he needed with us, 

17 hours ago, winsaw said:

I am still not sure about Walsh I think he may have found his level where he can look a star in league 1 but doesn't have the pace or strong enough to do it in the championship, I hope this time at Coventry has helped him and he can prove me wrong, but would be suprised if her got the match time he needed with us, 

Is not strong enough or has the pace. 

Fit perfectly in our midfield. 

19 hours ago, REDOXO said:

trophies, while we have a bloke who has achieved nothing with multi millions and one Scottish league cup as a player resorting To hump it up to the bloke that looks a bit like Dele Adebola. 

image.png.67e044062bdeea240e1762c82e330f14.png

Nope....not seeing it....

Lets play a game of spot the difference instead.....

image.png.01a6f5431af6d252b5451ceb1bf23a4d.png

19 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He may have some trophies from his time as a player at Man Utd, but as a manager he has three. League 1 this season, the EFL Trophy from a few years back and then one for winning the league 2 play-offs in 17/18...do we count a play-off trophy as a real trophy? Granted it's a more impressive cabinet than Johnson's, but it's not really a 'slew'. It's also all been achieved at a lower level than we are currently at.

Reading up on Robins' managerial career he has predominately been a League 1 manager. Admittedly he has generally done very well in that division, particularly in his time at Rotherham and in both spells with Coventry. In League 1 he has impressive win % stats that are well into the high 40% range, during his initial spell at Cov he won a very remarkable 51% of games.

His time in the Championship is less illustrious. Two spells, one with Barnsley 2009-11 and one with Huddersfield 2013-15. Both those spells saw him suffer, and he struggled to get win % much above 30 (LJ currently sits on 39% with us). No trophies or even promotion challenges at that level.

I understand the "anyone but Johnson" argument, and Robins may well be worth a punt. However, the CV suggests that he might struggle to get us to the level we are aiming for. I am not convinced Robins would be the answer to our woes.

I think realistically we start the 2020-21 season with LJ and find out how both he and Robins get on. If Robins has Cov above us in the league by Christmas there's a clear indication of which of them is a better option.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think realistically we start the 2020-21 season with LJ and find out how both he and Robins get on. If Robins has Cov above us in the league by Christmas there's a clear indication of which of them is a better option.

Can't argue with that.

I don't see SL/JL sacking LJ before October/November this year. I think they will give him this season, whatever madcap transfer window we have in the Summer, and they'll give him a dozen or so games at the start of 20/21 season. Absolutely if Robins is at that point demonstrating a never before seen ability to get results in the Championship then I agree he'd be worth a phone call.

Archived