IGNORED

Drab Manager, Drab Football....

Having watched and enjoyed many re-wind games from all levels over the last 3 months, I have come to the conclusion that "modern" endless passing football is pretty drab, dull and boring.  It looks really good when Barcelona play it at pace but we are not Barcelona and the kind of game where we knock the ball around aimlessly between the GK, defence and midfield with no real  purpose or intent is boring as hell. In fact, watching a bucket of paint dry is more entertaining.

I'm not advocating a return to just hammering the ball up the field as far as you can but somewhere in the process, there is a mix between the 2. Today, we got spanked by a much superior Blackburn team, again.... The first game at AG was bad enough, they were organised and purposeful, they had players who were clearly trusted by an experienced manager to know what they were doing and they positively took us apart whilst we completely ran out of ideas after half an hour and the passing with no plan or pattern of play was embarrassing.

How much longer do we have to put up with this rubbish. We have players capable of playing much better stuff than this but yet again, we have managed to turn experienced and effective players into shadows of their former selves with this regimented and robotic "keep passing it and something might happen" routine

We have a coward of a manager, too scared to break from the doctrine of playing 1 up front and relying on the midfield and wing backs to follow up and support. Great idea in principle but the trouble is, our midfield NEVER DOES. Our midfield  scoring record for years is woeful, we never flood the box, we never have men running in for a cut back, NOTHING like this under this manager (and in fairness, many before). In fact, we have only really had 2 managers not afraid to play attacking football in the last 12, these being Danny Wilson and Cotts. The rest were more concerned about setting up their teams not to lose. 

Lee Johnson, young and up and coming coach..? maybe 2 years ago but he's gone backwards and so have we with our dull and conservative football. Home performances particularly have deteriorated over the last 24 months, we frequently do not have the guile or ability to break down teams who come to sit in and it is noticeable that some of our best wins are against teams who came to have a go and we hit them on the break. This is what we have devolved to, a counterattacking team who are frequently restricted to 1 or 2 shots on target in a game 

I am quite sure that the players are coached into this robotic style, it looks dreadful and the joy of going to AG to watch a game on a Saturday has gone, its more like a chore, an obligation and that is just wrong, wrong, WRONG in every way and on every level

So Steve Lansdown, whilst there are many people who will renew their season tickets regardless, there are a growing number who do not want to watch drab football anymore. Saturday is 50% of the time off work that most people have in a week, going to watch football is our release, our entertainment, our passion. Doesn't matter if we get beat if the other team is better or we are unlucky but the one thing that we want our team to do is entertain us. Saturday nights are so much better when we can say in the pub, what a game, sadly that hasn't been the case in some time

This manager is stifling the life out of this club, the entertainment, or in corporate speak "matchday experience" is very, very poor right now, do something about it please

Many thanks, yours hopefully 

Scrumpy's mate...

4 minutes ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Only 2 shots on target today again, we're not going to win much with that particular statistic...

Waiting for somebody to say that we get a goal 28% of the time our shots are on target, meaning we need at least 4 shots on goal to get one!

Gotta say I agree. When I was growing up watching City one of my earliest memories was seeing Super Scotty Murray running at defenders, getting people out of their seats, excitement... i remember feeling thoroughly entertained watching City in those days. Now the football is as dull as anything. Where is the slick attacking interplay? Where is the creativity and risk taking going forward? Nowhere to be seen. Come on Lee, this squad has the tools. Give them the freedom to express themselves. I know it's only the first game back but not much seems to have changed from the dire football that was being served up pre-lockdown...!

8 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

Gotta say I agree. When I was growing up watching City one of my earliest memories was seeing Super Scotty Murray running at defenders, getting people out of their seats, excitement... i remember feeling thoroughly entertained watching City in those days. Now the football is as dull as anything. Where is the slick attacking interplay? Where is the creativity and risk taking going forward? Nowhere to be seen. Come on Lee, this squad has the tools. Give them the freedom to express themselves. I know it's only the first game back but not much seems to have changed from the dire football that was being served up pre-lockdown...!

Same here, except it was Clive Whitehead on the wing! 

16 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

He, LJ, has neither the capacity or the courage to play anything that resembles an adventurous, attacking style of play.

Lansdown has appointed a coach at Bristol Rugby who has his players allowed to play an expansive and entertaining game. But this coach also has significantly improved the defensive side of the game.

But in football where the only place to be is in the "Awash with money" Premier League, SL has a real numpty of a head coach. 

How the hell does on get a refund of next seasons Season Ticket?

In my opinion....

We certainly haven’t played exciting or attractive football all season. Indeed it has more often been drab, pedestrian and boring.Vanilla pretty much describes things.

Then there aren’t too many players who play with real passion or commitment. Our style is predictable, risk adverse and generally ineffective.

Finally we top this off with a manager who is obsessed by fine margins and is relatively comfortably secure in his job.

When you put these components together it is no surprise that watching BCFC is not entertaining or easy on the eye, in fact this season it has often been awkward and ugly.

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He, LJ, has neither the capacity or the courage to play anything that resembles an adventurous, attacking style of play.

Lansdown has appointed a coach at Bristol Rugby who has his players allowed to play an expansive and entertaining game. But this coach also has significantly improved the defensive side of the game.

But in football where the only place to be is in the "Awash with money" Premier League, SL has a real numpty of a head coach. 

How the hell does on get a refund of next seasons Season Ticket?

If you find out Colin, let us all know ?

We turned in a performance so bad and bereft of quality, especially poor as we are in touching distance of the play offs. However I for one fully expected this, and along with all the other long suffering old timers, I suspect.

Happened too many times in the past, it's a given that we just bottle it every season.

10 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Only 2 shots on target today again, we're not going to win much with that particular statistic...

There is only one team in the top half of the table with a negative goal difference. I think this supports your statistics. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Is that really surprising when Afobe and Wells were in the bench ?

This is it major. Why were wells, afobe and Dasilva on the bench ? Does anyone know.

our midfield is weak , so surely you need another body in there . Why not massengo and korey sitting with Palmer in front , feeding the strikers.

why was peraira taken off ? 

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This is it major. Why were wells, afobe and Dasilva on the bench ? Does anyone know.

our midfield is weak , so surely you need another body in there . Why not massengo and korey sitting with Palmer in front , feeding the strikers.

why was peraira taken off ? 

Palmer won’t feature very often IMO as he is exactly the kind of player that LJ can’t trust....he is a creative, flair player who can unlock defences and ping a pinpoint pass however, he is also likely to give the ball away, get caught out of position and look casual. LJ prefers players who are more robotic, disciplined and therefore predictable and can be relied upon. The problem with that is it leads to drab and far too often ineffective, boring football.

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Palmer won’t feature very often IMO as he is exactly the kind of player that LJ can’t trust....he is a creative, flair player who can unlock defences and ping a pinpoint pass however, he is also likely to give the ball away, get caught out of position and look casual. LJ prefers players who are more robotic, disciplined and therefore predictable and can be relied upon. The problem with that is it leads to drab and far too often ineffective, boring football.

I agree and he’ll pick pato or O’dowda who contribute absolutely **** all but run around a lot 

12 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Having watched and enjoyed many re-wind games from all levels over the last 3 months, I have come to the conclusion that "modern" endless passing football is pretty drab, dull and boring.  It looks really good when Barcelona play it at pace but we are not Barcelona and the kind of game where we knock the ball around aimlessly between the GK, defence and midfield with no real  purpose or intent is boring as hell. In fact, watching a bucket of paint dry is more entertaining.

I'm not advocating a return to just hammering the ball up the field as far as you can but somewhere in the process, there is a mix between the 2. Today, we got spanked by a much superior Blackburn team, again.... The first game at AG was bad enough, they were organised and purposeful, they had players who were clearly trusted by an experienced manager to know what they were doing and they positively took us apart whilst we completely ran out of ideas after half an hour and the passing with no plan or pattern of play was embarrassing.

How much longer do we have to put up with this rubbish. We have players capable of playing much better stuff than this but yet again, we have managed to turn experienced and effective players into shadows of their former selves with this regimented and robotic "keep passing it and something might happen" routine

We have a coward of a manager, too scared to break from the doctrine of playing 1 up front and relying on the midfield and wing backs to follow up and support. Great idea in principle but the trouble is, our midfield NEVER DOES. Our midfield  scoring record for years is woeful, we never flood the box, we never have men running in for a cut back, NOTHING like this under this manager (and in fairness, many before). In fact, we have only really had 2 managers not afraid to play attacking football in the last 12, these being Danny Wilson and Cotts. The rest were more concerned about setting up their teams not to lose. 

Lee Johnson, young and up and coming coach..? maybe 2 years ago but he's gone backwards and so have we with our dull and conservative football. Home performances particularly have deteriorated over the last 24 months, we frequently do not have the guile or ability to break down teams who come to sit in and it is noticeable that some of our best wins are against teams who came to have a go and we hit them on the break. This is what we have devolved to, a counterattacking team who are frequently restricted to 1 or 2 shots on target in a game 

I am quite sure that the players are coached into this robotic style, it looks dreadful and the joy of going to AG to watch a game on a Saturday has gone, its more like a chore, an obligation and that is just wrong, wrong, WRONG in every way and on every level

So Steve Lansdown, whilst there are many people who will renew their season tickets regardless, there are a growing number who do not want to watch drab football anymore. Saturday is 50% of the time off work that most people have in a week, going to watch football is our release, our entertainment, our passion. Doesn't matter if we get beat if the other team is better or we are unlucky but the one thing that we want our team to do is entertain us. Saturday nights are so much better when we can say in the pub, what a game, sadly that hasn't been the case in some time

This manager is stifling the life out of this club, the entertainment, or in corporate speak "matchday experience" is very, very poor right now, do something about it please

Many thanks, yours hopefully 

Scrumpy's mate...

Came to the same conclusion myself after watching the big match revisited from 1976, where are the players today prepared to take a player or two on and have an actual shot, oh for a Rodney Marsh or Stan Bowles, it's always after you Claude or trying to pass it into the net. and when you see the crowd all stood together swaying and singing they look to be having fun not stuck in their seats unable to move, I know people will accuse me of having rose tinted specks and there are things about the experience of match day from then I don't miss (getting soaking wet for one) but my god I wish I had a time machine sometimes. 

Archived