IGNORED

Drab Manager, Drab Football....

13 hours ago, Coombsy said:

Did not take long 

first game back give them a chance

So how come Blackburn managed to perform so much better on their first game back then?

They had a threadbare, patched up defence, while we had a full defence to choose from and yet it was us that looked like the defenders had only met for the first time, just before the kick off.  

If it hadn’t been for a wrongly disallowed goal and their player slipping over in front of an open goal, we’d have been on the end of a right dicking.

We appear to have learned nothing during the break and have just slipped seamlessly back into the dross we saw pre-lockdown.

That was a bleedin’ depressing watch yesterday and there’s no getting away from that.

During the lockdown, I had forgotten how much I had come to dislike Saturdays and the regular dross or embarrassing results that we have had since early in the season. In fact, match days were only salvaged by the trip to the pub afterwards, and without that it really makes you realise that the entertainment value at AG went missing a short time after that Man United victory, with only the very occasional flash since. I could accept some of the defeats if we actually tried to play decent football, but it’s been so bad recently, and yesterday was just a continuation of that.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

So how come Blackburn managed to perform so much better on their first game back then?

They had a threadbare, patched up defence, while we had a full defence to choose from and yet it was us that looked like the defenders had only met for the first time, just before the kick off.  

If it hadn’t been for a wrongly disallowed goal and their player slipping over in front of an open goal, we’d have been on the end of a right dicking.

We appear to have learned nothing during the break and have just slipped seamlessly back into the dross we saw pre-lockdown.

That was a bleedin’ depressing watch yesterday and there’s no getting away from that.

They were playing for their Manager.

Our football is terrible. Devoid of anything exciting or unexpected. Whilst we sit 14m worth of forwards on the bench. LJ keeps finding a way for his head to disappear up his own ass while some defend idiot decisions. 
 Top six or bust and we produce THAT! 

Please stick your post match interview and dross defenses. We were worse than what we were before. Training excellent, not expected that Grrrrrrr! Stop talking shit and produce a bloody football team LJ!!!

Our problem again seems to be goalkeeping and defence.were the only team in the top half with a minus goal deference says it all.oh yes and team selection.we all have favourite players but maybe their not good enough.time for a change and give our supporters some hope for the future.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

This is it major. Why were wells, afobe and Dasilva on the bench ? Does anyone know.

our midfield is weak , so surely you need another body in there . Why not massengo and korey sitting with Palmer in front , feeding the strikers.

why was peraira taken off ? 

He was booked, but cannot remember if he had many fouls after that like Massengo did.

4 hours ago, City1970 said:

There is only one team in the top half of the table with a negative goal difference. I think this supports your statistics. 

No it doesn't as we have scored more goals than all but 5 teams in the league, we have 2 strikers with a scoring rate of 1 in 3 (Fam and Wells) and 1 with a scoring rate of 1 in 4 (Afobe)

We have more than adequate options up front, I would argue you would struggle to find a better 3 forward sto pick from in this league. 

The problem we have is everywhere else, our midfield cannot play the system it is being asked 2 and our defence is leaky as hell. 

In terms of attacking options we are fine, 3 from Fam, Wells, Afobe, Wieman, Pato and Elliasson is no slim pickings, but we play 1 and then instruct the rest to not support properly it seems. 

Personally I would go with a 3 of Elliasson, Fam and Wells up top, and then chop and change Fam and Afobe depending on the game and situation, if you can get in behind in the middle then have afobe or if you can get in behind down the sides Fam in the middle with The other 2 breaking beyond him. 

The only positive I took from yesterday was that I'm glad I haven't  renewed my season ticket! No intention of returning until the football improves and I can't see that happening any time soon. If I was Johnson I would ditch Holden and Mcalister and try to find a coach who knows what he is doing.  What is Terry Connor doing.?Otherwise I think he will be gone by Christmas

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Is that really surprising when Afobe and Wells were in the bench ?

They did nothing when on the pitch and neither has a full game in them atm. 

The problem yesterday was in the core of the team cm, central defence gk

7 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

We were lucky it wasnt at least, 5

Midfield is too lightweight.

That is one of the worse performances ive seen from a goalie in a city shirt.

Know he was probaly rusty, but that was terrible.

We were.  Was the disallowed goal a foul...I aren't rewatch the highlights!  Open goal when slipping over, etc.

I don’t think our midfield is too lightweight, I think it’s under-resourced.  Forget 3 in midfield ( @Mr Popodopolous is the resident 3 in midfield poster on here ?) as the solution for the moment.  It was a midfield 4 on paper.  Yet two of those contributed zero defensively, staying in their wide positions, never trying to make us compact.  If you then add in Pato, he doesn’t help out anywhere near enough.  We don’t know how to get compact and see off pressure.

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

This is it major. Why were wells, afobe and Dasilva on the bench ? Does anyone know.

our midfield is weak , so surely you need another body in there . Why not massengo and korey sitting with Palmer in front , feeding the strikers.

why was peraira taken off ? 

Where do you remove a player to get an extra body in there?

Re Pereira, LJ said (unconvincingly) “I think he did his thigh”.

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree and he’ll pick pato or O’dowda who contribute absolutely **** all but run around a lot 

They don’t run around a lot really, they are always a yard or two away from engaging their opponent, who never feels  under  pressure from a challenge.  It’s why they give away silky little fouls because when they realise they can’t back out of a challenge, they are not quite there.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We were.  Was the disallowed goal a foul...I aren't rewatch the highlights!  Open goal when slipping over, etc.

I don’t think our midfield is too lightweight, I think it’s under-resourced.  Forget 3 in midfield ( @Mr Popodopolous is the resident 3 in midfield poster on here ?) as the solution for the moment.  It was a midfield 4 on paper.  Yet two of those contributed zero defensively, staying in their wide positions, never trying to make us compact.  If you then add in Pato, he doesn’t help out anywhere near enough.  We don’t know how to get compact and see off pressure.

Where do you remove a player to get an extra body in there?

Re Pereira, LJ said (unconvincingly) “I think he did his thigh”.

They don’t run around a lot really, they are always a yard or two away from engaging their opponent, who never feels  under  pressure from a challenge.  It’s why they give away silky little fouls because when they realise they can’t back out of a challenge, they are not quite there.

Think we have to go back to 352 to get the extra body in midfield 

Definitely under-resourced in midfield.

3-5-2 is alright but the concern I have there is that if it is like earlier in the season, then as we saw Saturday Paterson and O'Dowda in wide areas don't drift back in to form a 3 or 4, then I don't see Palmer being that effective third body centrally. Attacking and creativity wise yes quite possibly, midfield- unsure. We'll see anyway!

At least though the 3 CBs would help to avoid numerical disadvantages- a concern I would have had about tucking in yesterday- though the unavailablity of Nyambe on the right and Cunningham, Williams and Bell on the left cjhanged the equation somewhat! All things being equal though, a concern I might have had would be the risk of 2 v 1 in wide areas- you even up the midfield but you risk a 2 v 1- as I say with Bennett and Rankin-Costello at RB and LB respectively that risk is significantly negated but if it was say Nyambe RB, Bell/Cunningham/Williams LB...

IF for example though you'd had our left side- Rowe and was it Eliasson- up vs say Nyambe-Bennett that could have been tricky for us. Could have #seen a quick switch of play from say Holtbyt out wide if Eliasson tucks in...Rowe exposed a decent amount! 

O'Dowda and Pereira maybe more secure but 2 v 1, if the 2 is Downing and one of Cunningham, Williams or even possibly but less so Bell- can still be tricky. Up vs a 3, if one tucks in that can- not saying it will- but can leave exposed to a quick switch of play and break on one side.

Dilemmas tactically for sure.

As it goes, I think Bennett-Gallagher absolutely could have been an area to exploit and so too could Rankin-Costello-Downing.

I'm no fan of the current style of play but with a central 2 and wingers and 2 strikers- something that I assume a few might be proposing on this thread- this leaves a midfield and thereby defence exposed. It 100% does.

Now if we want to be something like Birmingham last season under Monk or Burnley atm that's different- but the style of play is not fantastic, add to that Millwall of 2 seasons ago under Harris when they made a late run for the playoffs. I digress, the style of play is NOT fantastic. Well I say a late run, it was actually a long unbeaten run- but not as long as Fulham's IIRC.

That however is the sort of system or something along the lines of the sort of setup that would likely throw up- but remember those systems are reactive! 4-4-2 with wingers in modern times often is, at decent levels.

Thinking about it, maybe Brighton under Hughton a useful counterexample? Though it wasn't necessarily flowing at times, it was decent at others.

4-4-2 diamond maybe more able to press and get some control but it would be wingless.

Archived