IGNORED

The difference a decent manager makes

Dr Balls

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wilder's a bit of a genius really. Once in a generation manager? Maybe.

I dunno, I just think SL can’t pick ‘em. Wilder is flavour of this season but you could put , Howe, Dyche, Rodgers, Mackay and so many more in a category of former unknowns who’ve got middling clubs promoted to the Premier League. 

Cottererill, Johnson Sr, Jordan, Dicks only decent picks in the last 50 years.  

6 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

I would love to see what Hughton or McCarthy could do with the squad. Both available. 

Don't think Hughton would be interested....McCarthy would jump at it surely...would love him in charge...probably not a Lansdown man tho.

1 minute ago, Hare Island said:

I dunno, I just think SL can’t pick ‘em. Wilder is flavour of this season but you could put , Howe, Dyche, Rodgers, Mackay and so many more in a category of former unknowns who’ve got middling clubs promoted to the Premier League. 

Cottererill, Johnson Sr, Jordan, Dicks only decent picks in the last 50 years.  

add Terry Cooper to that. He did a lot on sod all money

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I get why he did it. But I don't see why he couldn't use Dasilva as a weapon against them.

Go 3 centre backs if he is that worried. Or have faith in Dasilva making Gallagher worry about his attacking threat.

Very negative.

Neither can I. Completely agree about DaSilva as an attacking threat, three CBs would mean leaving COD and or Elliason out, we set up, not for the first time, to keep a clean sheet and try and snatch a goal, which in fairness we did, then forgot to keep it tight, and could have let five in by the end, while millions of pounds worth of attacking talent which could and should have been used from the start were only bit part players.

We may still turn this around, but I’m not betting on it, and while I applaud the progress LJ has made I think SL needs to bite the bullet and recruit someone with the experience and knowledge of getting a team out of the championship, and I don’t mean Warnock?

13 hours ago, Corsham Ed said:

I agree, we are a lot further forward. However, I think we will go no further with LJ at the helm. We are at the business end of the season and only one won of the last seven. If we are to proceed any further a change of Head Coach is needed. We have the players, but need the leadership.

like him or loathe him i think warnock was right about lee talks a good game but cant cope with big egos and will never win anything.

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Id put my house on us getting a top 6 finish this season with NW as the boss, he knows how to maximize his squad, something that LJ seems unable to do.

Yeah I'd agree. Been a fan of his and talk of how boring, dull etc his team are I think are a bit harsh. Cardiff played some good stuff in the promotion season. Another one I think would so well here is Mick Mccarthy 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Lee would hate that.  He believes he is a better manager than his dad who according to someone who spoke to him said “he’s just a lower league manager who can motivate players”.  ???

...and give them 3/4 years to do it? ⬇️

I never think of Adkins, but he is vastly underrated.  As for Mowbray ⬇️

And that’s what I’d like....at least a semblance of knowing what I’m gonna get from my team.  I don’t think they were dull yesterday either.  They might have been a bit back to front at times, but Brereton was a thorn in our side, Travis run us ragged box to box, and that was without Dack and having Armstrong and Johnson on the bench.  This is only their second season back up too!  He almost kept them up when he joined in Feb 16/17, but got them straight back up.

Interesting that Albie said Cotterill was top notch tactically, but not LJ, and that Cotts could easily sit in front of Pep etc and hold his own in a tactics discussion.

I’m not down on Lee Johnson because I think he’s doing a decent job, but imho he should be doing better.  Play-offs was the target, it’s still there to grasp.  I think it will be an awkward summer / autumn if we miss out on play-offs.  We’ve got a lot of work to do in these 8 games.

But I reckon adding to Mowbray and Atkins, I like Paul Cook (Wigan) and Uwe Rosler (Malmo) too.

I think all 4 would get you into the playoffs given 3/4 seasons.

@Mr Popodopolous can we have all 4 under FFP or do we have to sell all the players?

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Lee would hate that.  He believes he is a better manager than his dad who according to someone who spoke to him said “he’s just a lower league manager who can motivate players”.  ???

...and give them 3/4 years to do it? ⬇️

I never think of Adkins, but he is vastly underrated.  As for Mowbray ⬇️

And that’s what I’d like....at least a semblance of knowing what I’m gonna get from my team.  I don’t think they were dull yesterday either.  They might have been a bit back to front at times, but Brereton was a thorn in our side, Travis run us ragged box to box, and that was without Dack and having Armstrong and Johnson on the bench.  This is only their second season back up too!  He almost kept them up when he joined in Feb 16/17, but got them straight back up.

Interesting that Albie said Cotterill was top notch tactically, but not LJ, and that Cotts could easily sit in front of Pep etc and hold his own in a tactics discussion.

I’m not down on Lee Johnson because I think he’s doing a decent job, but imho he should be doing better.  Play-offs was the target, it’s still there to grasp.  I think it will be an awkward summer / autumn if we miss out on play-offs.  We’ve got a lot of work to do in these 8 games.

But I reckon adding to Mowbray and Atkins, I like Paul Cook (Wigan) and Uwe Rosler (Malmo) too.

I think all 4 would get you into the playoffs given 3/4 seasons.

Plus Nyambe. And an injuyry crisis at LB- Cunningham, Williams and Bell all out- kid at LB who was a right sided midfielder with <10 games. 

Think Mowbray could do well here- Cook as well, a big problem for Cook was his away record but that seems much improved now- even before lockdown in recent months! Rosler, know less about, Adkins I dunno- but he seemed to do fine at Hull, but for the Southampton quality, he also has the Reading fairly disappointing stint- did well at Scunthorpe.

I should add, I bet if we had a similar crisis at full back, Mowbray would have exploited it well!

I’m not gonna say LJ can’t manage because he can . It seems like the mentality at the club is not to lose , so not to take the game to the opposition and counter attack . The players play with fear. When we played the high press it got us to a cup semi and nearly into the playoffs . We had identity . Yes we’ve sold some of our talent . I enjoyed watching us then , now ,,we’ll you all know what it’s like watching now . 

Archived