IGNORED

Give Watkins a go

westonred

I shall put my tin hat on now:

I think we need to get Marley Watkins into the team i know he is not rated by many but he is much tougher than most of the wingers or midfielders we have currently. How on earth does COD get in the squad week in week out he is so powderpuff and offers us nothing,  at least MW gets stuck in gets in the oppositions faces and offers a goal threat.

In goal?

But seriously, I think Afobe, Wells, Fam etc will be OK if we sort the rest of the shape/personnel. Go 5-3-2. Wing backs for the width rather than wingers. Better defensively too as our wingers aren’t good enough defensively. Palmer and Paterson competing for the central attacking midfielder slot behind the two strikers.

14 minutes ago, westonred said:

I think we need to get Marley Watkins into the team i know he is not rated by many but he is much tougher than most of the wingers or midfielders we have currently. How on earth does COD get in the squad week in week out he is so powderpuff and offers us nothing,  at least MW gets stuck in gets in the oppositions faces and offers a goal threat.

Agree 100%.

Takes a lot of flak & certainly not easy on the eye, but is physical & tough to play against.

Got double figures in this division playing wide right for Barnsley, the point re O’Dowda (who was woeful yesterday) is spot on.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Agree 100%.

Takes a lot of flak & certainly not easy on the eye, but is physical & tough to play against.

Got double figures in this division playing wide right for Barnsley, the point re O’Dowda (who was woeful yesterday) is spot on.

Very underrated IMO. He`s never let us down (unless you count him breaking Kalas`s cheekbone). He would have been the most physical attacking player for us yesterday had he played.

1 hour ago, ChubStixx said:

Our problems lie a lot deeper than bringing Marley Watkins in. Not saying it wouldn't help though. Forgot he even played for us.

I forget half the players we have on the books, we have far too many in my opinion, one of the reasons we never have a settled side.

2 hours ago, westonred said:

Completely agree. We needed fight and aggression and Watkins would’ve offered us that. I can’t stand his ridiculous diving but he does offer us something that no one else in the team does.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Agree 100%.

Did you copy and paste that from any of my Watkins posts over 2 seasons, that’s how I describe him too. ?

Injuries haven’t helped him, but when he has played he’s been effective.

I bet if you asked Jack Hunt who he’d rather have in front of him, out of Eliasson, O’Dowda and Watkins, even Weimann, he’d say Watkins.  I actually spoke to him about this when he was doing the commentary one week....some of his best games have been with Brownhill or Watkins in front of him.

2 hours ago, westonred said:

I like Marley Watkins, would be quite happy to see him play.  Thought he did well when he played earlier in the season. Perhaps he doesn't have the 'stats' in training, so is not selected?

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

There's an idle manager, with umpteen promotions on his cv, sat on a tractor in Cornwall who puts teams together that match this description! 

Is that the same bloke who was floundering mid table this season when he got sacked after losing to us, having spent an absolute fortune on shite like Madine, Glatzel & having run out of ideas so much that he resorted to signing half of our squad (Tomlinson, Pack, Flint, Reid, Cunningham) from the last few years?

He’s finished.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Very underrated IMO. He`s never let us down (unless you count him breaking Kalas`s cheekbone). He would have been the most physical attacking player for us yesterday had he played.

We're to soft and easy to play against. Fam won't ruff up a defender, we saw Watkins in the Barnsley game I think really getting the centre backs irrate with his game play. I actually think he'd be OK down the middle but obviously with Wells and Afobe he won't, out on the wing/wide he'd be fine. He'll track back, work hard, can attack the back post from crosees and be handy defending corners. 

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Is that the same bloke who was floundering mid table this season when he got sacked after losing to us, having spent an absolute fortune on shite like Madine, Glatzel & having run out of ideas so much that he resorted to signing half of our squad (Tomlinson, Pack, Flint, Reid, Cunningham) from the last few years?

He’s finished.

Er, yeah, it is ... sorry. Didn't mean to .... won't mention him .....

4 hours ago, Eighteen ninetyfour said:

If my memory serves me correctly the last game he actually played in he put in a shift. Or maybe it was just a dream

That sums up how LJ plays Watkins. He picks Watkins for a game or two. Watkins, though not spectacular, works hard and plays well, but is then dropped and doesn’t even make the bench. LJ then completely forgets about him for three months and then repeats the process 

Archived