IGNORED

Adam Nagy

SouthStand Sandwich

Given the fact that Mark Ashton has stated that there will be very little transfer activity unless we trade, I think we may need to do just that and make some serious surgery to our central midfield.

We have been lacking midfield creativity and someone who can break in the box for what seems like decades.  Added to this, we have never really replaced that midfield enforcer in the mould of Kalifa Cisse.  I think Johnson thought O'Neill/Hegeler/Henriksen could perform that role but it never quite worked out for various reasons.  

For me, I would build our midfield around Liam Walsh with a central three, with Walsh behind a front two - supported by two central quality midfielders who both Morrell and Massengo could learn from.  I would fund this through the sales of both Diedhiou and Eliasson (I think Nagy will go as well, but will hardly contribute much to the coffers).

I would also try and bring in Perriera if we can - perhaps another year loan if we aren't in the position to spend.  Johnson's signings always seem to have a level or risk about them, and given the right back spot as been an issue since Ayling departed it might be a case of 'better the devil you know' with that.

Personally, I think Johnson would definitely get some brownie points with the fans if he gave some of our youngsters a decent run in the side next season.  I care little really for Premiership football, although I would definitely feel more invested in it if O'Leary, Moore, Walsh and Morrell were given a decent run and we took the game to the opposition for a change and had more attacking intent (granted we might get a few thrashings, but I could take that).

I also have a feeling that Korey Smith, Jamie Patterson (rumour that he is off to Coventry where he is from) may be out the door at the end of the season.  

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I like Nagy. After yesterday’s inept team and performance I have given up already. Sad but wtf was that. 

next season we have Walsh Morrell Nagy HNM Smith if retained Patterson the other young lads doing well. Plus Elliason ...Who have I missed in midfield please feel free to add. 

what are we obviously missing?

A midfielder of top 6 championship quality. 

Release Smith, loan Massengo and reinvest the wages in a good midfielder IMO. 

As I've said on another thread in years to come we could have a hell of a midfield but feel we could do with a wise head like a Shelton or a Hartley in the middle unfortunately I don't think Smith is the answer. We need a Gareth Barry type like Wade Elliott was for us.

We need to go back to the 3-5-2 formation we had prior to Afobe’s injury. At that time Afobe was partnered by either Fam or Weimann with Palmer an integral part of the midfield. Personally, I would play Wells alongside Afobe  but as has been said elsewhere, it’s midfield that is the real problem area.

47 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Smith/Palmer is the perfect combo for me as long as Afobe is in front of them. As simple as that. Can't see what the problem is Lee ?????

This shows how little you know about football.

Got all the makings of a one season loan to a team on the continent about it. I'm sure we would want to recoup our transfer fee, but the market will be depressed everywhere.

For a half against QPR, I really thought we had a wonderful player. Just hasn't worked out due to injury, form and the general nonsense that is our midfield selection policy.

8 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Palmer isn’t a central midfielder, he is a number 10.

Playing a number 10 with only 1 central midfielder would be defensive suicide.

He is, but I have wondered if playing him deeper may actually work after seeing how Romaine Sawyers has adapted to it, they’re very similar players I reckon. 

I wouldn’t write it off completely in the right formation, but certainly not in a 4-4-2

I feel like the team has lost its was of playing. We have the best squad we’ve ever assembled but missing a few key players from previous squads to really make it click....Reid and Bryan .....Add a kodjia to the mix as well and we’d be pushing automatic. Takes time getting that right balance to make it work. We desperately need that link player from mid to attack...hopefully sammy is the guy for that next year....wide players are the key....most attacks and dangerous play result from this....we don’t have dangerous enough players in this position currently 

Just now, OldlandReddies said:

Cmon then....you give me your 11

Well my XI wouldn’t have one central midfielder in it. 

The XI that gets most of the better players in their best position is 5-3-2 and includes Palmer is

Maenpaa

Kalas.  Benkovic. Baker

Pereira.                           Dasilva.    
              Smith.  Nagy

Palmer

Afobe.  Wells

Not a massive fan of the formation though nor Palmer so that wouldn’t be my team.  

Very hard to get those two strikers in a team without losing the midfield or wings.  

Archived